Question from New Member in Texas

Hey Everyone!!!
My wife just got accepted to Medical school in Boston so I will be up there in a few months. Here is my question.
I own a few guns (Texas laws are very relaxed) and I noticed one of them my Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm is not on the approved list.
I have read somewhere that if you move into the state with a non approved weapon its ok because you moved in with it and you did not purchase it while you where there. I plan on getting a Class A license (If I get approved) Can anyone validate this? I love that Stoeger and would hate to part with it. We will only be in town for a few years and more then likely will come back once she is finished. Thanks to anyone who can help with this.
Ron

Welcome to the forum Ron.

You can bring in anything you want, you just can't buy anything here from a dealer that is not on the list. However you can buy non-roster guns in a FTF sale with a private individual.

There is one big thing you need to worry about:
You cannot possess any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds if they were manufactured after 9/94. Hi capacity magazines made before that date are fine, but mere possession of anything newer is a felony here, so you'll have to leave your 15-rounders in Texas. Sorry.

Last edited:
IANAL. You can bring it in but you can't bring in any of your hi-cap mags (over 10 rounds) unless they were made before 1994.

The only thing you can't bring in when moving to MA is anything that would have been banned by the old AWB - so hi-caps are out.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Best of luck to your wife at med school!

If you have to move here you may want to do yourself a favor and take residence in some city other than Boston or Brookline. They are the two worst licensing authorities in the state. Look at Arlington, if you can.

-Mike

Welcome to the forum, Ron, and welcome to the People's Republic of Massachusetts! [wave]

Best wishes to you and your wife in your stay here. The medical schools here are excellent, but the laws/politics pretty much suck. As others have suggested, if at all possible, choose a "green" town for your residence. It will make your gun ownership much easier.

Ron,

When you get here and discover the absolute stupidity of our gun laws, let me know if you need to rant. I'll invite you and your wife over for a home cooked Italian meal and keep pouring the wine while I sympathetically nod my head as you express your utter disbelief.

Then I'll tell you about all the nice places to visit in Massachusetts and you can tell me about all the nice places to visit in Texas. And when your wife completes med school, my husband and I will share a moving van with you and we'll all move back to Texas! [wink]

Welcome, by the way.

I live in Wakefield - good neighborhoods, easy to highways, fair food options but I go to other towns mostly.

As for the permitting process, I nothing but good things to say about Officer Meehan - top notch.

PM if you'd like specifics.

My wife just got accepted to Medical school in Boston so I will be up there in a few months. Here is my question.
I own a few guns (Texas laws are very relaxed) and I noticed one of them my Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm is not on the approved list.
I have read somewhere that if you move into the state with a non approved weapon its ok because you moved in with it and you did not purchase it while you where there. I plan on getting a Class A license (If I get approved) Can anyone validate this? I love that Stoeger and would hate to part with it. We will only be in town for a few years and more then likely will come back once she is finished. Thanks to anyone who can help with this.
Ron
Congrats to your wife!

As has been said, you can indeed bring your gun with you; you have a 60 day grace period to get your LTC once you're up here. Important point: If you bring it up here WITH you (in a suitably secured container - read: LOCKED), you do NOT have to file an FA-10 on it to register it. If you leave it in TX and bring it up AFTER you have your permit, legally, you have to register it as something you "acquired". Stupid, but that's the way the law reads.

High capacity (over 10 round) magazines made after 9/94 are verboten, as has been mentioned. Buy a few 10 rounders to bring with you and leave the high caps with a friend in TX. Don't bring them in and think you'll leave them locked up or something - it's not worth possibly getting caught with them.

When you get here and discover the absolute stupidity of our gun laws, let me know if you need to rant. I'll invite you and your wife over for a home cooked Italian meal and keep pouring the wine while I sympathetically nod my head as you express your utter disbelief.

Then I'll tell you about all the nice places to visit in Massachusetts and you can tell me about all the nice places to visit in Texas. And when your wife completes med school, my husband and I will share a moving van with you and we'll all move back to Texas! [wink]
[rofl] A-HA!! Now we find out your ulterior motive!! [rofl2]
IANAL:
don't do it.
Don't do what? Move? Bring his gun? Why shouldn't he bring it?

They've pretty much covered it. You can bring your gun, just not any post 9/13/1994 magazines. You should be able to find 10 rounders without too much trouble.

Which med school? Might be able to give you a better idea on a good area to look for housing. Most of the towns immediately surrounding Boston, including Boston itself, suck to own guns in, and some parts of them just suck to live in as well (crime, etc.)

1 more thing: When you get here, go GREEN and come to the member shoots! They're fun and there's a great bunch of guys/gals here! You'll get to meet some people!

One other thing - when you have an LTC, you can, under Mass law, sell up to 4 guns a year. And ya know... there are a LOT of handguns that can't be sold by a DEALER, that CAN be sold face to face by, say, someone moving in here from Texas if he happens to move up here with said gun. He'd have to fill out the FA-10 form when makes the sale, and he can't do it until he gets his LTC, but it's completely legal.

Third and fourth Gen Glocks command a premium, as do the Springfield XDs. Kimbers get a pretty penny, too.

I'm just sayin'... it's something to think about.

Hey Everyone!!!
Ron

What the others have said all applies. I didn't see it said specifically in this thread, but you also need to be careful with any post-ban AR's, AK's, etc. You can own any handgun in this state regardless of whether or not it's on the EOPS or AG approved handgun roster, but if you have an evial "assault rifle" you'll want to do some research on whether it's legal, or just leave it in Texas.

I know he didn't mention EBR's, but it can't hurt to save a newbie a felony charge.

Hey Data! I'm actually a Texas transplant from the Boston area. I hope you have the best of times in Boston, just remember it isn't Texas.

And, you know, if you decide to leave some guns behind here in Texas, I sure wouldn't mind holding on to them for you [smile] [smile]

One other thing - when you have an LTC, you can, under Mass law, sell up to 4 guns a year. And ya know... there are a LOT of handguns that can't be sold by a DEALER, that CAN be sold face to face by, say, someone moving in here from Texas if he happens to move up here with said gun. He'd have to fill out the FA-10 form when makes the sale, and he can't do it until he gets his LTC, but it's completely legal.

Third and fourth Gen Glocks command a premium, as do the Springfield XDs. Kimbers get a pretty penny, too.

I'm just sayin'... it's something to think about.

So basically buy a bunch of guns that aren't on the list... and worry about deciding if you want to keep them after you move up here... your basically guaranteed to get better than face value on a lot of em.

Ron:

Welcome to the Forum! You are among friends here, so please ask any questions you might have, and join in on the discussions.

Just one thing - as soon as you step foot in Massachusetts, be prepared to be exposed to some liberal, corrupt, immoral, gun-fearing nutjobs just about everywhere. They hate gun owners, and will work to strip you of your Constitutional and God-given rights at every opportunity.

You will find the folks on the forum are an island of sanity in a sea of shit. Trust us, we know. If you think I'm exaggerating, wait until you've been here a few months.

Congrats to your wife - that's quite an accomplishment. And we'll take every Texan we can get!

dont do it [wink] i moved back here from houston about 9 years ago very difrent laws out here [frown] on a lighter note you will like all difrent stuff to see up here you will have to let us know when u get here an look at the map on here of the towns that are easier to get youre class a
good luck[rofl]

What the others have said all applies. I didn't see it said specifically in this thread, but you also need to be careful with any post-ban AR's, AK's, etc. You can own any handgun in this state regardless of whether or not it's on the EOPS or AG approved handgun roster, but if you have an evial "assault rifle" you'll want to do some research on whether it's legal, or just leave it in Texas.

I know he didn't mention EBR's, but it can't hurt to save a newbie a felony charge.

Do NOT move into Boston proper! Boston has it's own AWB that prohibits ALL ARs/etc. that weren't registered in Boston in 1989! They also have their own hi-cap mag ban. The good news is that it ONLY applies to the hapless residents of Boston, has no effect on visitors or those passing thru the city.

See this post for the specific Boston law reference:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=741838&postcount=9

ok, lets talk about a couple of the good things about your move

1. You don't have to worry about 30.06 laws ( can I carry, can't I carry? are the letters big enough? blah, blah, blah)
2. no 51% laws ( alcohol sales >51% = can't carry)

I think that's all I can think of. . .

Thanks!!

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!!!!
Any ideas on where to move? We have only been there once and it was for the interview.
She will be at East Concord Street right next to the Medical Center
Any ideas of a inexpensive place to live? Gun friendly perhaps. We will need to be on local transportation like the T-Train.
Thanks for all your help!!!!
Here is a good map
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=e+concord+street+boston+ma&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Quincy is green and fairly close. You'd be on the red line for public transportation and fairly close to BU med. Rent isn't bad either.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!!!! Any ideas on where to move? We have only been there once and it was for the interview. She will be at East Concord Street right next to the Medical Center Any ideas of a inexpensive place to live? Gun friendly perhaps. We will need to be on local transportation like the T-Train. Thanks for all your help!!!! Here is a good map

Ah, BU. A Great medical school, by the way. Unfortunately it is located in Boston, and for a person seeking to get their LTC-ALP, well there is only one word to describe your chances...Fuggetaboutit! [wink]

BU is located (public transportation wise) on the Green line. The Green line is part of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, which from here on will be referred to as the MBTA or if you want to sound like a local, just call it the T.

The T is very easy to navigate because the routes are color coded. There is the Red line, the Blue line, the Orange line, the Green line, the Yellow line (surface buses only) and the newest is the Silver line. There is also the Commuter Rail which runs out to the suburbs, and that is the Purple line. If you want to PM me your address, I can mail you a brochure of the public transportation system was well as other information about MA that may be helpful to you.

The closest areas to live near BU are the Fenway in Boston, the Back Bay, Kenmore Square, and also Brighton, Allston and Brookline. BUT! As are those areas mentioned above, Brighton and Allston are considered part of Boston. The People's Republic of Cambridge is also near enough to BU, but just like Allston, Brighton, Boston proper and the city of Brookline, Cambridge is also decidedely unfriendly to those wishing to obtain an LTC-ALP.

Keep in mind that the closer you live to Boston, the more expensive your rent will be, and be ready for sticker shock. It is WAY more expensive to live here than anywhere in Texas.

Someone mentioned Quincy, which is on the Red line, and from there you can transfer to the Green line which will drop your wife off right in front of BU. A fairly easy commute and the rent is cheaper in Quincy.

There is a small peninsular town which borders East Boston called Winthrop which has very little crime, is easily accessible to public transportation (bus to Blue line to green line) and the rents are fairly reasonable. I lived there for nearly 20 years but no longer do.

One of the nice things about Winthrop is that it is surrounded by water so chances are that you would find a place there with some kind of ocean or harbor view. However, I don't know anything about their friendlyness concerning obtaining an LTC.

Somerville might also work. It is on the Red line which connects to the Green line. Then there is Medford, Malden and Arlington; all suburban locations with better rental rates and all connected to public transportation. Actually, unless you go all the way out to the Berkshires, pretty much any suburban town within a 30 mile radius will have access to public transportation. We're not as big as Texas. [wink]

Do you have pets? That could present a problem because many landlords won't accept them. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Last edited:
B.U is a top notch school. Had a few of the residents on the team that assisted in my Hip Replacement. If she goes Orthopedic she will be dealing with Dr. Einhorn, guy doesn't have much in terms of personality with patients etc, but he knows his stuff and most importantly to me he really takes pride in the work he does.

As some have suggested, if you can swing it, live in NH or out in the burbs. Type01313 posted a quick map to look over about the gun-friendliness of the towns in mass here. In essence stay out of the Red Towns and aim for the green ones.

Welcome to Mass. and though I no longer live there I find the people I meet and have met on here is worth the digital commute from FL to keep in touch with them.

Arlington is a very nice town, relatively inexpensive compared to surrounding towns, and has a red line MBTA station that can get you to Boston fairly quickly, and generally issues concealed carry permits i have heard.

Back
Top Bottom