• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question about pump action shotguns

I have a mossberg 500. I have noticed that the shell to be chambered will fall out if the shotgun is shaken or turned on an angle. Is this normal?

If that is the case, is this not a significant flaw in the design of pump action shotguns? ...particularly from a tactical perspective?

No... if you're pumping it correctly it shouldn't matter even if you pump while the ejection port is facing down. There is no reason to pump the shotgun slow enough to let the shell come out.

Try shaking a round out of an Ithaca pump!

Haha, that said. The 500's rely on inertia to carry the round. Also, Enabling you to load one in the ejection port.

just pump it like your suppose to and you will have no problem. "Treat it like a first date"

If that is the case, is this not a significant flaw in the design of pump action shotguns? ...particularly from a tactical perspective?

I think so, and I see your point clearly......especially being a left handed shooter, most likely to roll onto right side to pump the gun if prone.

Regardless, they are a good shotgun for a reasonable price and I wouldn't let that deter me from buying one if funds were limited.
The mere racking of the gun sends a clear warning. Its a very distinctive sound and only a fool would continue to advance after hearing it.

Back
Top Bottom