Question about gun safe

WickedSharp

NES Member
Got a great deal on a very old safe (free) and plan to use it for gun storage in my basement.

Will I need to do anything to the inside of this safe before I store guns inside?

Safe-Inside.jpg

I'm having a "discussion" with a co-worker of mine who says not to put guns in there because they're going to rust.

Heck, a big bucket of Silca Gel would solve any moisture issues.

I'd clean the inside, maybe paint it a light color to help see what's in there (some Kilz oil base would be perfect), and add some rifle racks. I'd stay away from felt linings unless you can be sure that it's hydrophobic in nature.

I'd probably also replace that shelf with something a bit more substantial.

But overall nice score.

In any gun safe, I'd drill a hole sufficient to pass the power cord of a so-called "Goldenrod" heater. This is a continuous low-level heater that is quite effective at reducing humidity levels that promote rust. However, the hole will affect the fire rating of the safe (which is fairly useless in a gun safe, anyhow) and will void the UL rating of the safe (if it has one).

In any gun safe, I'd drill a hole sufficient to pass the power cord of a so-called "Goldenrod" heater. This is a continuous low-level heater that is quite effective at reducing humidity levels that promote rust. However, the hole will affect the fire rating of the safe (which is fairly useless in a gun safe, anyhow) and will void the UL rating of the safe (if it has one).

It is UL rated... and it's big enough that I'll likely put some important paperwork and maybe a few other items as well inside. I'll try the can of Silica gel.

My pal owns a vending business and has the big truck and dollies required to get it picked up and dropped off at my house. I'll stick it into the garage for now, but I need to come up with a plan to get it down the bulkhead into the basement.

It's outside dimensions are roughly 5' x 2.5' x 2.5'.
Can anyone make a guess at the weight? I have no idea. Neither do the original owners who are giving it to me.

Last edited:
Based on the picture, if it were mine ...

I would strip it of all the junk in there now, repaint it in and out (stated before), line it with some speaker box carpet, some type of dehumidifier and call it good.

BTW...nice find.

It's outside dimensions are roughly 5' x 2.5' x 2.5'.
Can anyone make a guess at the weight? I have no idea. Neither do the original owners who are giving it to me.

My guess 600 lbs +/-

You might find that the door will lift off of the hinges, allowing you to move it in two pcs.

That is definitely a serious safe (assuming the T-20 is similar to a TL-20 in today's ratings), and you're not going to have an easy time if you tri to drill a hole for a Goldenrod.

Wow, I even like the outside! Great find.

Scrub the inside with trisodium phosphate and some scotchbrite pads before you paint it. Killz will indeed do the trick inside, and I think a bucket of silica gel is the way to go. Even if you could drill a hole in it, I'm not sure how much more effective one of those golden rod thingies would be.

Whatever you do, don't paint the outside! The color, the wear and the lettering are very cool looking.

Very nice!

I received my safe the same way. A huge bank document safe. The guy said if you can move it you can have it. I gutted out all of the metal shelving and locking cabinet, lined it with wood, drilled a hole for SO cord and mounted an electrical box for lights and Golden Rods. Did some other stuff too. It has worked great for 7 years. I actually had fun setting it up. You most definitely want to have something in it to control moisture if it is in your basement. I also keep a dehumidifier running just outside the safe too.

Good luck with it!

Rob just made me think of something. I did have to use a hammer drill to get through the concrete and steel and it took a while!

Last edited:
I received my safe the same way. A huge bank document safe. The guy said if you can move it you can have it. I gutted out all of the metal shelving and locking cabinet, lined it with wood, drilled a hole for SO cord and mounted an electrical box for lights and Golden Rods. Did some other stuff too. It has worked great for 7 years. I actually had fun setting it up. You most definitely want to have something in it to control moisture if it is in your basement. I also keep a dehumidifier running just outside the safe too.

Good luck with it!

Rob just made me think of something. I did have to use a hammer drill to get through the concrete and steel and it took a while!

Can you shoot a couple of pictures of the inside?

Sure,

When I go home I will take a couple of shots (inside and out) so you can see where I mounted the electrical box, golden rods ect and how it is connected to the service via SO cord ect. PM me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.

You will have fun with this project- thats a very cool safe. Mine is similar. It is a double door Mosler from about 1950. I spent about a week doing the wood lining and electrical. Originally I built wooden shelves in on one side of the bottom but removed them for more long gun space. ;o)

Whitey, There is a sticky at the top somewhere telling you the steps you need to take to post pictures. It's real easy if you follow that . . . you need to host them on a photo website first and there are many free ones you can use. Hosting photos on NES is restricted to only paying members, and the size of the pictures is very restricted.

Thanks Len,

WickedSharp is going to post them up for me so others can see.

I figure I'll answer question before it comes up- Why such a big safe for three guns?

I know many like to share pics of what they have purchased and own and I do REALLY enjoy looking at them. I just don't like to circulate pictures of what I own on the internet so before I shot the pictures I emptied it out. I left a few of my revolvers so WS could see how I have my hand guns stored.

For me the less known by others the better. Ya never know who is looking around (antis ect.)

Anyway if anyone has questions about how I finished my safe just let me know.

Matt's Safe

Here are pictures of Matt's safe.

1Safe.jpg

2SafeInside.jpg

8DoorPanel.jpg

It will take me a week or two to really get into it with my safe. It's not going to be delivered until Tuesday. I will post pictures of my project though.

Nice work Matt!

Thanks WS. Keep us posted and enjoy the project. Let me know if I can help in any way. You have such a cool starting point I can't wait to see the finished conversion!

Back
Top Bottom