Question about Cash

back to the concept of keeping some cash on hand, this winter a coworker that recently bought a house was worried he wasn't going to be able to shovel himself out with all the snow and it was too late to get a snow blower or plow contract. I told him just flag down a plow guy--any plow guy--and wave some cash in his face and you'll get your driveway plowed. He thought that was ingenious and went to the atm right way to take out $200. A few days after a big storm he tells me he was able to shovel enough to get his car out but thought the cash on-the-spot concept was a great idea. Then at lunch he was putting the cash back in the bank [facepalm] ! I was beside myself, "did i teach you nothing?" As a homeowner you should always have at least $200 in 20s handy.

nothing gets stuff done like cash.

Everyone should have some cash on hand. The amount of which will be determined by the individual's personal finances and comfort level. Anything you store on site can be stolen. Cash has the additional problem of being perishable (fire, water, rodents, etc) Have enough cash on hand to survive the short term problems. Power outage, blizzard, etc. That could mean $200 to the single dude in an apartment, or $2000 to the father of four living in the burbs.
Junk silver is a good option. Recognizable, easy to use in small increments. Water/Rodent resistant. Sure, it can melt in a fire, but a pool of hardened silver is still silver.
Consider keeping records of when you bought it and how much you paid in the container/safe with the silver. Assuming it's not a pile of molten metal you will be able to provide a paper trail of where you got the metal should you ever need to cash it in all at once.

Again, diversity is the key to all investing. The guy who sleeps on a pile of gold bars is just as foolish as the guy who puts all his money in the bank.

regular card-present transactions at brick and mortar merchants are working fine
They may be working, but payment goes to the merchant's account - which no doubt has withdrawal restrictions, so not all merchants are going to be interested in payments that are direct deposited into the Greek banking system.

What are force multipliers in a civilian sense?

+1 on training, trying to do as much as budget and family life allow.

Force multipliers for a civilian on my wish list would include things like a large caliber semi-auto battle rifle with superior optics, night vision and/or FLIR, unmonitored comms like Marine VHF when you are 50 miles inland, MURS alarms, etc

Land is good for adding some diversity. If all else fails. you can actually live on it, assuming the property taxes can be paid.

Seeds, fertilizer, and a tractor with enough diesel to run it a while are also on the list. Fortunately, the topography of the land has water which could be easily piped to be 24/7 irrigation for vegetables. Apple trees and some wild blueberries on the land.

Also, one of the lowest property tax rates in NH (chosen that way very much on purpose)

The Bank is the grocery store...
Your home is the pantry.

Always have provisions... always.

Max out the ATM twice a week. In 10 weeks, you'll have your cash and no one will care. [wink] Rinse and repeat as necessary.

You have to plan these things a little before the ATMs take your card and you're limited to 60 Euros a week.

Edited to add this one:

Yeah well, in my case I chose cash, silver, gold, guns, ammo and food.....call me crazy but I sleep soundly at night

I should print these for my wife to read.

So where I should keep the cash? ...

In silver and gold.

Back
Top Bottom