• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quality AR15 Uppers for 500 or less?

What kind of round count. Try pushing about 1-3k rounds through it in 1 single weekend and then come and tell me how it responds. I have put over 500rnds through my last BCM upper as fast as I could swap mags with 0 FTE/FTF etc.

Del-ton is fine for a range gun that may see a couple hundred rounds over the year, but is in no way or shape in the same class as DD, LMT's, BCM's etc that are made to take thousands of rounds over the course of a year.

Last year I put around 1500 rounds thru it. I just got done tumbling all the brass from last year. That might not be a lot to some people but for me it was a good year with no issues. I like it that's all I can say, and it eats anything I throw at including wolf.

Last year I put around 1500 rounds thru it. I just got done tumbling all the brass from last year. That might not be a lot to some people but for me it was a good year with no issues. I like it that's all I can say, and it eats anything I throw at including wolf.

Again, it works fine for what you have it for, just a range gun. But no way I'd want to take a del-ton to a 3Day class that will shoot what you shot in 1 yr over 3 days, and maybe even more.

As I say, to bring the cost of the upper down, corners had to have been cut. Either in testing, using of non-mil spec parts (remember, mil spec is the MINIMUM accepted in for the system) etc.

Again, glad it is working for you but I've learned my lesson in terms of getting what you pay for when it comes to firearms (I bought a Jennings).

I think Del-ton is underrated. I've got a total of about 3000 through mine without a single failure and I did put about 1000 through it in a single weekend. For the OP's needs I would vote Del-ton. They're CS is top notch too.

As others have said, you can buy a spikes or BCM upper for somewhere around $500.
You can also get a LMT for close to that money if you stick to a simple plastic handguard.

Another option is a Rock River. Their stainless bbl stuff is accurate and reasonably priced.
Most RRA stuff uses the Wylde chamber, which has tighter dimensions than .556, as well as a 1:9 twist. So while they may work great with something like a 69 gr match king, its not the best bbl for the heaviest stuff out there.

What kind of round count. Try pushing about 1-3k rounds through it in 1 single weekend and then come and tell me how it responds. I have put over 500rnds through my last BCM upper as fast as I could swap mags with 0 FTE/FTF etc.

Del-ton is fine for a range gun that may see a couple hundred rounds over the year, but is in no way or shape in the same class as DD, LMT's, BCM's etc that are made to take thousands of rounds over the course of a year.

It depends, though. There's not much on an upper receiver group to fail other than the BCG. I have a Model 1 upper receiver group (with an LMT BCG) that has a few thousand rounds through it and the only failures can be attributed to crappy Tula ammo (same problem with several other rifles including a Colt upper and a YHM upper). I wouldn't hesitate it to bring it to a three-day class, although I can't ever see myself spending the money for such a class.

With that said, I'll be making some purchases when I leave MA - my next rifle will either be built around a BCM upper group, or maybe a 6920.

It depends, though. There's not much on an upper receiver group to fail other than the BCG. I have a Model 1 upper receiver group (with an LMT BCG) that has a few thousand rounds through it and the only failures can be attributed to crappy Tula ammo (same problem with several other rifles including a Colt upper and a YHM upper). I wouldn't hesitate it to bring it to a three-day class, although I can't ever see myself spending the money for such a class.

With that said, I'll be making some purchases when I leave MA - my next rifle will either be built around a BCM upper group, or maybe a 6920.

I agree with what Vellnueve said, for the most part. I've owned two Model 1 uppers and both ran like clocks. I've also read about people having problems with them. (Although its not my personal experience)
Not having had the opportunity to look at troublesome Model 1 uppers I can only say that it appears their quality is inconsistent. Some good ones. Some bad ones.

Then again I once owned an Olympic Arms AR with an A2 upper that was the most accurate plain jane AR I've ever owned. And it was perfectly reliable also. I guess I just have good luck.

Re Skald's comments: Almost any AR will run like a top for thousands of rounds if you simply keep the chamber clean and the BCG wet.

+10 for Spikes. I got one of the complete M4 uppers for $469. The upper was in perfect shape. I will likely start getting all of my upper needs from them.

Back
Top Bottom