• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

QD sling mount available for ACE ARFX Skeleton Stock?

Titan

Banned
Do any of you Ace ARFX skeleton stock owners, know of a QD sling swivel mount that will work with the tapped screw holes on the stock?

Is there a QD sling swivel (by any maker) that has the same threading?

I'm looking to replace the sling swivel that comes with the Ace ARFX, with a QD mount.

Uncle Mikes sling swivel studs are what you want. The holes in the stock are 10-32, as are the threads on the studs.

Last edited:
You can use a l loop attached to the stock and a H&K Hook on the sling

ImageHandler.ashx

215-01786-2.jpg

You can use a l loop attached to the stock and a H&K Hook on the sling

Interesting...Thanks. I may pursue that if I come up dry on the pushbutton socket mount.

Do you have a source for the loop portion with 10/32 threads to fit the ACE?

ETA: I've been Googling for quite a while now and am stunned that there's nothing out there yet, given the proliferation of ACE stocks

Last edited:
I am glad that I stumbled across this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to put a sling on my ACE skeleton-stocked carbine. This gives me some ideas to follow up with.

I am glad that I stumbled across this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to put a sling on my ACE skeleton-stocked carbine. This gives me some ideas to follow up with.

A new product to address this need won't make anyone a millionaire, but it certainly would make some money for the company interested in the opportunity. There are plenty of ACE stocks in the marketplace, even in the Airsoft community.

What's wrong with the conventional sling attachment? I use the tried and true sling swivel stud that attaches my Harris bipod to the free floating handguard on my AR. The stud attaches to the Ace stock in one of the several drilled and tapped holes. The sling, a V-Tack, attaches to the stud using a fitting that can be mounted or removed using a small push button fitting. Simple and relatively cheap. Available from Brownells.

What's wrong with the conventional sling attachment? I use the tried and true sling swivel stud that attaches my Harris bipod to the free floating handguard on my AR. The stud attaches to the Ace stock in one of the several drilled and tapped holes. The sling, a V-Tack, attaches to the stud using a fitting that can be mounted or removed using a small push button fitting. Simple and relatively cheap. Available from Brownells.

Do you have a link or part number or manufacturer for the Brownells item? My searches have only produced a bipod/sling stud that inserts into a socket intended to be mounted (screwed) into wood.

A search of Brownells for 'V-Tack' produces nothing. 'VTAC' is not much better.

I know all about the VTAC product line, including slings and mounts, but don't see anything at Brownells that allows mounting a VTAC sling to an ACE stock using a pushbutton swivel. That's precisely what I'm looking for.

I want a pushbutton swivel for the same reason everyone else does.....to allow the sling to stay in place while easily disconnecting the rifle whenever appropriate.

Last edited:
The stud I speak of screws into the mounting points in the stock. Quick detach sling swivels or a bipod can be attached to these studs. The studs are included when you buy a QD sling swivel set or a Harris bipod. Your best bet is to call Brownells customer service as there are several sizes od these studs available.

Magpul makes a QD sling adapter for their ACS stock that might work, if the thread's the same as the ACE, and the ACE has through holes. It would probably need a new screw. Brownells 100-005-598, although everybody seems to list them.

Might need modification to work - Titan's right, someone should be making these.

Attachments

• MagpulACSAdpt.jpg
    MagpulACSAdpt.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 14
It might not be the exactly what you are looking for regarding a QD sling swivel that fits onto the ARFX, but maybe a solution for you.

Troy M16A4 Rifle Sling Mount

botach_2141_237378553

http://www.botachtactical.com/trm1rislmo.html

I wasn't comfortable how solid the sling swivels were that came with my AFRX-E...I am trying a DD Burnsed loop plate on my Sig556. It is solid.

DSCN2200.jpg

Any fixed stock sling plate should work with the Ace...the spacer is short enough that the butt stock on the ARFX still covers your main Butt stock Extension (buffer tube). The only thing you may have to play with is the length of the butt plate screw if you are using the rubber butt plate. The hex screw that came with the ARFX-E with the 1/2 rubber butt extension was a little short.

The stud I speak of screws into the mounting points in the stock. Quick detach sling swivels or a bipod can be attached to these studs. The studs are included when you buy a QD sling swivel set or a Harris bipod. Your best bet is to call Brownells customer service as there are several sizes od these studs available.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll hang in a bit longer, looking for a QD socket for the ACE that'll accept a Bushbutton Swivel.

OK, Titan I think I am on to something.

I was over at Brian's forums today and ran across this:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104598&st=25&p=1199937&#entry1199937

I pm'd "cas" and he said he just used these from Brownell's and had to "track down the right sized/shaped screws." (the same one Dan S. mentioned on page 1) So it sounds like there is the option to screw it on, NOT having to rely on the glue option, which I don't want to do either.

It looks like Brownell's has them here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8892/Product/UNCLE_MIKE_S_QD_100_SLING_SWIVEL

the 10Pk, is Stock #:593-000-038 for $16.99.

I am going to see what i can find for screw before I go ordering these. Maybe we could split a 10pk or something...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104598&st=25&p=1199937&#entry1199937

I pm'd "cas" and he said he just used these from Brownell's and had to "track down the right sized/shaped screws." (the same one Dan S. mentioned on page 1) So it sounds like there is the option to screw it on, NOT having to rely on the glue option, which I don't want to do either.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8892/Product/UNCLE_MIKE_S_QD_100_SLING_SWIVEL

I am going to see what i can find for screw before I go ordering these. Maybe we could split a 10pk or something...

huh...that is an interesting find...if you figure it out i'd be down for buying 2 of those off of you if you wanna get the cost even lower

That sounds promising, please keep me posted.

I would certainly consider splitting a minimum order with you.

Most good hardware stores carry a wide assortment of screws that you can buy individually. I wonder if they'd have this one?

I'll have to do some checking later this week.

ok, i'll keep ya posted.

I am near a Fastenal so if they don't have what I need... [grin]

"cas" (BE member) mentioned last night that..

"The thing is the machining (depth was inconsistent)." so, I think now the screws will be the "hard" part. I may have to get a couple different lengths based on the socket being used.

I am just order a 10pk and see what we are dealing with. Another forum member contacted me ans was interested in a couple sockets/setups.

So I'll see what I can come up with.

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for but the threads are wrong.

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/164/description/

Maybe I can find a screw with the right threads to work with this product.

Get a 10-32 flathead and you should be OK. You might have to grind the diameter of the flat head down a little as a 10 will be slightly larger than the 8 on the flat but it should work just fine.
Dave

Last edited:
That socket from Gear Sector looks just like the one from Uncle Mikes.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/push_button_detachable_swivels.html

EDIT: LOL, with a little more digging, it turns out that is the U. Mikes socket.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1323-LMT-SOPMOD-GEN-I-QD-Socket-Retro-Kit

I just ordered the 10pk from Brownell's ( I needed some other parts anyways...) and will report back once I see how things work out.

I'm also not comfortable with trusting an adhesive to bond two smooth surfaced pieced of metal to one another and then trusting my carbine to the bond. I think a screw solution (unlike the Uncle Mike's approach) is what's required.

I took the extra one off my bushmaster ACR and used it on the Ace stock. Maybe bushmaster has these for sale?

Not an answer to your specific question, but I had the same issue and decided to punt and buy a Stark Sling grip with the QD attachment. With that, the attachment point approximates a receiver plate mount which allows for transitions. It works perfectly for my needs and being primarily a Pistol shooter I much prefer the upright angle of Stark sling grip

I made a bunch of inquiries that produced nothing, then let it drop.

I should get back on this, since I still really want a QD pushbutton.

I got this to work but was ultimately unsatisfied with the result.

Magpul sells a QD socket for one of their stocks (forget which one). It comes threaded with a more coarse thread than the 10-32 required by the ACE stock. However, it's very easy to drill out to accommodate a 10-32 bolt which I did. I got a 10-32 bolt at a local hardware store and the whole thing went together just fine.

Here's why I found it unsatisfactory. The whole sling mount ends up sticking out of the stock by at least 3/4". So you have, in effect, a 3/4" by 3/8" column sticking out of the side of the stock between the socked and the QD. That also means the sling has a lot of leverage against the whole assembly.

What I've decided to do is one of two things. I'm either going to order a 10-32 swivel stud like this (and they only seem to come in multi-packs):

YHM-262-2T.jpg

And then one of these swivels

img

Frankly, I think the whole situation blows. ACE could have easily machined in some QD sockets on the stock and the whole situation would have been a lot better. I can't quite fathom why they didn't do that.

I
Here's why I found it unsatisfactory. The whole sling mount ends up sticking out of the stock by at least 3/4". So you have, in effect, a 3/4" by 3/8" column sticking out of the side of the stock between the socked and the QD. That also means the sling has a lot of leverage against the whole assembly.
I got to take a good look at my Ace stock later. There are 10/32 threads on both sides and I am wondering if there is enough material to recess the socket into the stock and let the center screw grab the threads on the other side of the stock. Would make the socket flush fitting to the stock.
Dave

I got to take a good look at my Ace stock later. There are 10/32 threads on both sides and I am wondering if there is enough material to recess the socket into the stock and let the center screw grab the threads on the other side of the stock. Would make the socket flush fitting to the stock.
Dave

The problem there is that the threads are at an angle to each other. What might make sense would be to machine in a recess on either side so that you could mount a cup on either side. The cups would need to be threaded so one bolt could run straight through to grab the cup on the opposite side.

I have no real machining facilities though, so I'm not going to try this.

Back
Top Bottom