pump or semi-auto for home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I run an 870.

I like the simplicity and low maintenance requirements of the pump...plus I can run it with a pistol grip and collapsible stock (which I like better than the sporter-style stock).

One thing about pumps though...you absolutely have to train. The last thing you want in a firefight is to short-stroke the pump. Full-stroke pumps as soon as you fire should be an ingrained habit if you are going to depend on a pump for combat. I put a lot of lead downrange in the form of low-cost field/target loads, and spend a lot of time dry-firing my shotgun.

Pump: Benelli SuperNova tactical. The SPX however is a sleeper. Personally I think the 870 is a fine gun, but has had it's day. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're out WMA way, you're welcome to give both a try. Better yet, go green and come to a members shoot....If you are in a rush to buy however, try and find a shop that has a Benelli in stock. It's in my book, the softest recoiling pump 12ga out there and comes out of the box ready to roll....

I run pumps also, and one of the ways I keep the muscle memory current is to shoot one of my 870's in trap on a regular basis. Nothing ingrains that "shoot/PUMP" reflex like shooting at doubles on the clay range.

One of the other good practice things I do is if I'm shooting a 3-gun match, I'll go right up to the bedroom closet, grab the shotgun, empty out the buckshot/slugs, and throw it in the bag as is. I shoot it just like it sits in the closet. Great way to identify any "bugs" in the system.

Home defense shotgun

Anything but Mossberg.
[frown]
Hang on a second, please.
I happen to love my Mossberg.... had to put about 200 rounds through it to smooth it out, but it is a nice piece of the home protection job. Especially for the money. Want to rag on a pump? Rag on that *@#* Maverick knock-off shoot from Mossy [shocked]
With the 500, I like it that you have to cycle it, to get the follow-up rounds going.
Get a pump and practice with it so it is second nature to shoot. You can rig a semi-auto to hold 8-10 shells and just keep (blindly) pulling the trigger till empty. Not a good thing from my point of view. [hmmm]

[frown]
Hang on a second, please.
I happen to love my Mossberg.... had to put about 200 rounds through it to smooth it out, but it is a nice piece of the home protection job. Especially for the money. Want to rag on a pump? Rag on that *@#* Maverick knock-off shoot from Mossy [shocked]
With the 500, I like it that you have to cycle it, to get the follow-up rounds going.
Get a pump and practice with it so it is second nature to shoot. You can rig a semi-auto to hold 8-10 shells and just keep (blindly) pulling the trigger till empty. Not a good thing from my point of view. [hmmm]

Mossberg will generally get the job done, however they are basically at the bottom of the acceptable quality list. Remington and Benelli aren't much more expensive (especially if you get a nice, broken in certified pre-owned one), and the quality factor is MUCH higher.

I prefer the Winnie 1300. Been thru 2 Rem 870s Both spent more time at Rem than with me.If ya want a single shot pump buy the Rem. A friend has the H&R copy of the Rem and has had no problems at all. He is the poster child for gun abuse as well. IMHO

The Remi. 870 and the Moss.590 are both very good shotguns. That have proven themselves in the hands of the military, lawenforcement and civilian market. The military still uses the 590.

This is one of those debates that will never stop coming up in discussion.... But the answer is pump. And for simplicity sake, just refer to all the reasons other people listed who also said pump. I agree with them haha.

Pump.
From down the hall nothing sounds like a pump action being cycled.

images

Another vote for rem 870 because parts and goodies are available everywhere.
Although I'm no fan of a pimped out tacticool shotgun.[rolleyes]

Have 870, Saiga 12 & Beretta 1201FP (same as Benelli in every way).
All 3 have performed flawlessly. Can't remember ever having any malfunctions.

For home defence I would grab the Beretta. It's high cap, super light, quick to point & will dump in under 2 seconds with just a simple pull of the trigger.

The 870 is heavyer, slower manual cycling and low cap (mine).

The Saiga I see as more of a offensive or sporting shot gun. It's heavy, & unyielding (especially with 10 round mag & in Ma is tecnically illegal) one would not want to get involved in a legal situation with 10 rounder. If you fall on the ground, you can't shoot it well prone. Not to mention if there's someone in my home, I'd probably be nervous & would'nt want to fiddle with magazines. I'd rather just be able to load a few quick rounds into the gun itself.

Last edited:
Why? I just crapped my pants at the thought of the sound of his shotgun while reading that post. [shocked]

And you should see the stream of crap coming out of my pants every time I go to the range and put a hundo-pack of #8s through my scattergun. I'm just lucky it has a 18" barrel, and thus only 6+1 capacity, otherwise I would hardly get a break if it was one of them ones with the 12 round tubes!

back to the original question... get a pump. The sound of a shell getting chambered alone will clear the house of sane baddies. Even hardcore gang-bangers won't tangle with a determined man with a "gauge".

JR

For the trap range get an old marlin 90 O/U...

Another +1 for the Rem 870.
I've got this bad larry, fitted with a TacStar 7rd extension and a Bushnell holo.
2f44077b.jpg

And yes, the sound of it being racked IS scary[smile]

My Italian primadonna (Super 90 M1) has finally been fitted with a holo, too:
4c8df704.jpg

Both will be shot at a major competition on Sunday.

Last edited:
back to the original question... get a pump. The sound of a shell getting chambered alone will clear the house of sane baddies. Even hardcore gang-bangers won't tangle with a determined man with a "gauge".

God damn it, twice in one thread?

I don't have a clean pair with me to change into this time.

And yes, the sound of it being racked IS scary[smile]

Wow, that makes 3...I don't know what I am going to do about this mess.

Last edited:
Get a Saiga. It sounds quite intimidating when you run the bolt too, so make sure to change your pants after loading. [laugh]

If you need to scare off home invaders, I recommend 1 or more 'warning' shots to COM with #4 buck. That will scare off all but the most determined PCP addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom