• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over with Gun, Search

My colleagues and I recommend and insist on this:
As soon as the officer starts to approach your car, roll the window down, stick your head out turned towards the officer and yell as loud as you can "I have a gun!".
We'd really appreciate if you did that. We are working with state legislators and the Dept of Public Safety to get this written into law.
Thank you.

HAHAHA!!!!

Um, I want the computer that when you run the name, every piece of information comes up on that person. LTC, first girlfriend, Driver's license information, last BM. At least in my city, as been discussed here ad nauseum, you have to ask specifically for that bit of info. Doesn't come up automatically when you run license/registration. Also, If you're curt/short/not polite, as much as I hate it, since cites are a leos choice, you're probably getting a money cite not a warning. And to the poster above that learned to not have a conversation after having a chat with the officer after he was pulled over and he didn't have a license.......no license? you'd be locked up. chatting or not, not really difficult to run a license and see if it's active or not. didn't matter what you chatted him up about. active, have a nice day, not, come with me.

As soon as the officer starts to approach your car, roll the window down, stick your head out turned towards the officer and yell as loud as you can "I have a gun!".
We'd really appreciate if you did that. We are working with state legislators and the Dept of Public Safety to get this written into law.
Thank you.

Really???!?!?? Just stick your head out the window? You mean you wouldn't want me to get out of the car and walk briskly toward you before yelling about my gun?

Really???!?!?? Just stick your head out the window? You mean you wouldn't want me to get out of the car and walk briskly toward you before yelling about my gun?

We'd like it if you also turned on any tactical equipment on the gun (laser would be great). That helps us find you in the dark. If you could please center the red dot on my chest, that makes it even easier. Thank you for your help.

So, I've been told that once you have given your license and registration to the cop, you have already "surrendered'' your vehicle and they can search it 'til the cows come home. Any comments? And in the Basic Firearm Safety class I teach we advise the opposite in regards to informing the LEO that you are carrying. Only if you are asked to exit the vehicle, with hands on the wheel, inform the LEO that you are a LTC A, carrying a * ,name the body part or place of concealment and then ask them what they would like you to do. Around here your LTC status does not come up when they run you.

So, I've been told that once you have given your license and registration to the cop, you have already "surrendered'' your vehicle and they can search it 'til the cows come home. Any comments? And in the Basic Firearm Safety class I teach we advise the opposite in regards to informing the LEO that you are carrying. Only if you are asked to exit the vehicle, with hands on the wheel, inform the LEO that you are a LTC A, carrying a * ,name the body part or place of concealment and then ask them what they would like you to do. Around here your LTC status does not come up when they run you.

No, just because you give your license and reg you don't forfeit your 4th ammendment rights. IANAL. PC/search warrant/inventory search for legal tow. Also, jmho, if I pull you over and you tell me you're legally carrying with a LTC to back it up, it show's me that you've been a law abiding citizen (at least when they conducted the background) and it's one less thing for me to worry about.

my nephew is a police officer I ask him I said that he wants to know if the a gun in the car, he rather know right now then be surprise at the end, if he had to do a search.

Stuff like this makes my head hurt. As a LEO, there are times when I wish it was like this, but it simply isn't so. And even when I know there is something in the vehicle, without consent, or a K9 hit, the vehicle is going down the road. My 'knowing' something is up is not a justifiable reason to start digging.

in my state we are told if pulled over " i will not consent but will comply to non-RAS search and seizure of my firearm as long as you have a LTCF in my state u dont have to tell the officer unless he asks and you do not have to consent but you must comply and ask his RAS and if there are problems make sure to get the officers name and badge number to give to your lawyer.

Your profile doesn't where "around here" is?

If I have guns and get stopped (only happened once, in 2001) I hand him my LTC with the license and registration because if I was a LEO I'd want to know. So I treat him like I'd like to be treated. As all our vehicles are wagons, hatches, minivans etc. bothing is really "locked in the trunk" or I might do otherwise.

Last edited:
So, I've been told that once you have given your license and registration to the cop, you have already "surrendered'' your vehicle and they can search it 'til the cows come home. Any comments?

Not only is this true, but you can be subjected to a body cavity search and a free proctology exam at the same time . . . and without a search warrant!!

j/k [rofl] [thinking]

The advice that I've personally been given, from both 2 LEO's, in addition to the instructor of my gun safety course, is this: If you get pulled over, when you hand over your license and registration, with both hands on the wheel, inform the officer, :"Just to let you know, I am legally armed. How would you like me to proceed?"
If you are armed, and you do not inform him, your LTC will pop up when he runs your info, and it's up to him whether he comes back with his gun drawn and orders you out of the car or if he just asks you for your LTC. Either way, I was advised to inform the officer before he finds out himself.

Obviously, none of the people who gave me this advice, nor myself, are lawyers, but it's advice I plan on following, unless I hear of a good reason not to.

The USCCA has an article about this subject, but I'm not yet a member, so I don't have access to it.
Has anyone read the article I'm talking about?

This goes against the advice given to me by a lot more than 2 LEOs. My most recent conversation with a Massachusetts State Trooper confirmed what many before him expressed: "If I don't ask you if you have a gun in the car, I don't give a s**t if you have a gun in the car. Announcing to me that you have a firearm on you adds another element to the situation that I absolutely do not need. I just want to warn you that your tail light is out, issue you a warning, or write you a ticket"....

Yup - discussed and discussed and dare I say? Discussed...

Thank you.

[rofl2] Beautiful!

So ultimately, what I'm getting from this thread (and you'll have to forgive me, I'm new here and this is the first discussion of this topic that I've been involved in here), that there is no general consensus on what the best approach is.
I've read alot of 3rd party opinions, some second parties, and a few first person LEO opinions.
It seems like it's all up to the individual and there is no "right" answer.
Oh well, I'll just hope I never find myself in the situation!

I would answer his "any weapons in the vehicle?" question in the negative. If he decides to search, finds an unloaded "sporting firearm" in the locked trunk and gets his attitude up, simply refer to the item as a "sporting firearm", show him/her your FID or LTC and leave it at that. Many years ago, when I took a hunter safety course, our instructors told us to get in the habit of using this term rather than "weapon". If you are licensed for the type of firearm in your legal, properly secured, possession, the officer will have to find some valid legal reason to cite/arrest you. BTW, the same applies to edged/pointed objects such as knives. They are ALWAYS edged tools, not weapons, when speaking to LEOs.

You can't do that here in MA. A number of years ago a motorist did just that and was convicted of a felony as a result.
The story was in the Boston Globe. It was two gay guys who got pulled over in Randolph. The officers heaped verbal abuse on them, using anti-gay slurs and threatening to gay-bash them. One guy activated a small pocket recorder and captured the conversation on tape. He threatened to go to the media and ended up being charged for recording a LEO.

Thank you.

This is good to know Jon. I will surely be more proactive everytime I am in Plymouth, and that is quite often. Could you just clarify a couple things, please?

1) If I happen to be stuffing a Big Mac into my pie hole when you stop me, and I am unable to scream out the window, may I just show you the firearm instead?

2) Does this recommendation apply to traffic stops only, or should I also inform any detail cop I see in the road as I crawl past the tree/road work?

anything I can do to make your job easier........'cept for staying out of Plymouth[smile]

thank you-tt

This is good to know Jon. I will surely be more proactive everytime I am in Plymouth, and that is quite often. Could you just clarify a couple things, please?

1) If I happen to be stuffing a Big Mac into my pie hole when you stop me, and I am unable to scream out the window, may I just show you the firearm instead?
Yes and make sure that you point the muzzle in the officers direction so that he can confirm that is not a toy with an orange tip.

2) Does this recommendation apply to traffic stops only, or should I also inform any detail cop I see in the road as I crawl past the tree/road work?

anything I can do to make your job easier........'cept for staying out of Plymouth[smile]

thank you-tt
No need to show a detail officer but I'll leave that to your own discretion.
Thank you for your concern[wink]

Say this to a cop and be prepared to be cited for every possible infraction with maximum fines imposed. It implies you think he is dishonest and would do something illegal were it not for your disclosure.

OK, so I don't say anything then. In my state I don't have to: one party consent only. [smile]

They dont ask if any weapons you dont tell, if they feel they need to know, then they should ask. If they get pissed that you didnt volunteer it, then they should rethink their approach and ask. If they ask you have to tell, wether transporting firearms on your person or in a secured container in the trunk. The Officer can only search your vehicle if theres 1) a warrant to do so, 2) Probable cause, 3) Plain View Doctorine 4) Consent to search, 5) Inventory search after an arrest leading into a tow. Probable cause is a broad spectrum though, smell of 94 c, see drug contents, bongs, crack pipes etc etc.... Extreme urgency, like someone in the trunk for example.... Or the officer can prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are an immediate threat to his well being or the safety of the public, by suspicous activity or misconceptional statements that dont add up. He/she must also have those same RD/PC to pull you out of your vehicle to begin with. OUI/DUI Suspicion(through observation), trespassing while in a motor vehicle or not. Like some one stated earlier, comply with the Officer, if you feel your rights have been violated contact your Lawyer. It all comes down to being pleasant and curteous. In this State, it is not the Law to volunteer that you are carrying or transporting firearms unless officer asks. They dont ask you dont tell. PO's look at any firearm as weapon, dont know if you were being sarcastic about the sporting firearms or not, either way it was good for a Laugh. Former LEO...

I've always taken my cousin Paulie's advice when I've been pulled over - "Nobody ever got in trouble by keeping their f-ing mouth shut."

I'll answer any questions politely and honestly, using as few words as possible.

I've always taken my cousin Paulie's advice when I've been pulled over - "Nobody ever got in trouble by keeping their f-ing mouth shut."

I'll answer any questions politely and honestly, using as few words as possible.

+1
In general, what they don't know won't hurt you.

I'm the same way. If pulled over or questioned by a cop I barely say anything:

THEM: Do you know why I pulled you over?

ME: Nope.

THEM: I clocked you doing 48 in a 40 zone.

ME: <silence>

THEM: License and registration, please.

ME: Here you go.

Continue ad nauseum ....

Don't get the wrong idea, it's not a distrust or dislike of cops thing, I barely say anything to anyone in the rest of my life too. Basically, I ignore everyone.

Back
Top Bottom