• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over MA/NH Boarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passthemacs

NES Member
Haha, so I meant to post this on Monday.

I was on my way to work on site in VT (BTW first time on Church St. in Burlington and it was awesome after work fun, great jazz music, lots of people and eye candy haha) [smile]

It was dark, grey and raining on Monday morning, and as I was just about to cross the MA / NH boarder I got flagged by a state trooper, he followed me to every lane i switched to (no it was not right away like I had something to get away from him about). He pulls me over on 93N. I set my car off, window down, and lights blinking. Hands on wheel and wait for him to show. "License and regs" "I hand him my license and LTC while keeping my other hand on the wheel and notify him that I am a LTC-A holder and I am currently armed, (I know we don't have to but that's what I choose to do) where my firearm is on my person and that it is loaded. He notices my bag and immediately asks "what's in the duffel bag".... so I have a sport rice burner car with tinted windows........ and since i am LEGALLY carrying, and have a gym bag... I must be moving drugs... lol least thats how I took the question.

He returns some time later....... and gives me a written warning for my tints and again is very thankful that I kept my hands on the wheel and notified him right away that I had my license and was carrying. Trooper was overall pretty chill and I guess I just got the feeling I got off with a warning because of being responsible and courteous about having an LTC.

Just thought I'd share... I'm sure other members have had completely different run in's.

Last edited:
Beware of the new crop of rookie troopers on the road. I have had some decent encounters with troopers and some bad ones. By running your mouth you are setting yourself up for a bad time. There is no benefit to telling them you are legally armed for either party involved. If they ask, tell them, but never offer the info up freely. Did you also tell him that you were going to use free speech and not let any government troops be quartered in your home?

Cops should only worry about "illegal" guns. Your gun poses no threat to him / her and you should not justify the anti-gun terror by telling them you are armed. It is your right and none of anyone's business until you are asked to step out of the vehicle. I understand you did it out of some misguided feelings of respect, but you are going to find out the hard way that the respect you tried to show is rarely returned by the cops in our corner of the country.

If It's not your resposability to tell him, why would you feel you felt like a responsible LTC holder by telling him??He wouldnt have asked what was in the duffelbag if you didn't tell him you were carrying, he wanted to see if you were lieing about where your gun was , not drugs, he's not dumb enough to believe you would be trafficking drugs on your front seat. How many drug runners legally carry guns?

Sometimes i think people think here badass with an LTC, so they feel the need to tell everyone.

Was your tint illegal? Did he measure it with a legal tint meter? I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can accurately measure tint light transmission in poor light.

I know this isn't the topic of your post, but you seem to be saying that the trooper wasn't messing with you, but if he gave you a warning for your tint, I think he was messing with you. Seriously, he has nothing better to do than write tint tickets? Or are you saying that you have windows tinted so dark that they are obviously illegal, in which case he still needs to measure it or else the ticket will get thrown out when you contest it.

Remember that personal freedom thing that we occasionally mention?

The OP was telling a story, NOT giving advice, or telling anyone that his way was best.

Maybe, he thought that having a dark-tint rice burner sets him up for "additional scrutiny"?

Yesterday, on the way home from work, I saw a statie searchig a car along route 9, at 5PM. As I drove past, I noted that the driver was a young white kid, wearing baggy pants, an over-sized tee shirt and a baseball cap sideways (truly, I don't get that - the only thing I find more pointless is the current fedora fad....). Looked like the kid was a wigger, tryin' to go gangsta, yo. ALl I could think of was, "THAT'S why the kid's getting his trunk re-arranged."

The only person that was at the OP's traffic stop was him. If he thought this was the best course of action, that's his choice. No ticket issued, no dogs shot. Win.

When John Law pulls YOU over, feel free to act as you see fit, and to post your results. Were I to have a conversation tomorrow with a cop, I'll likley mention that I'm on my way to the Mass State Shoot - considering I'll have enough equipment to defend against a Large ZOmbie Horde.

This is a true YMMV situation.

Remember that personal freedom thing that we occasionally mention?

The OP was telling a story, NOT giving advice, or telling anyone that his way was best.

Maybe, he thought that having a dark-tint rice burner sets him up for "additional scrutiny"?

Yesterday, on the way home from work, I saw a statie searchig a car along route 9, at 5PM. As I drove past, I noted that the driver was a young white kid, wearing baggy pants, an over-sized tee shirt and a baseball cap sideways (truly, I don't get that - the only thing I find more pointless is the current fedora fad....). Looked like the kid was a wigger, tryin' to go gangsta, yo. ALl I could think of was, "THAT'S why the kid's getting his trunk re-arranged."

The only person that was at the OP's traffic stop was him. If he thought this was the best course of action, that's his choice. No ticket issued, no dogs shot. Win.

When John Law pulls YOU over, feel free to act as you see fit, and to post your results. Were I to have a conversation tomorrow with a cop, I'll likley mention that I'm on my way to the Mass State Shoot - considering I'll have enough equipment to defend against a Large ZOmbie Horde.

This is a true YMMV situation.

I totally agree. We each have to make our own choices and then live with whatever comes of them. OP did what he felt was right, and agree or not, I support his right to do so. Interestingly enough, of all the LEO encounters I have had over many years, The MSP have by far been the most professional, courteous, and reasonable to me. Maybe I am overdue, but I have not had any horror shows with them yet. Now, locals and/or MDC are another story.

Most likely you got a warning rather than a ticket because the officer didn't have the equipment, training or time to do things properly and make a tint citation stick (VERY few actually do).

Testing a window requires an annually calibrated light meter, properly cleaning the windows prior to measurement and that the officer recieves annual (might be bi-annual now) training and certification with its use. Most don't have the training because it's expensive for the department to maintain that training for every officer and it's so rarely used. I'm not sure about today, but 10 years ago most of the radar guns in the state were out of Calibration date, so I'm certain that the vast majority of light testing equipment is out of calibration as well.

Tinted windows, even without the proper equipment and training it still considered a valid reason for pulling someone over, so it allowed him to pull you over and check you out, and that's likely all he was doing, snooping.

I can just imagine the reaction of MSP when they search the vehicle of almost any NES'r on the war to a car shoot... [laugh]

I drive a Subaru Outback Wagon, but I always make sure the cargo area cover is pulled back when I'm going to a shoot. No need to have an officer walk past a half-dozen or more rifles and several cases of ammunition on his way to come talk to me. At least if he asks to search, I have time to tell him what he's going to find and why.

Was it a warning or fine for your tint? If you have to pay then fight it if he didn't measure it, obviously its legal if you have an inspection sticker.

I think it's lame that small economical cars give off the ricer-burner look.

I don't consider myself "stuck" with the Caravan....I have plenty of room for crap or passengers, enough power to haul my trailer, and a nice view of the road.

I don't feel like less of a man because I don't have a pickup.....'cause I got guns! [laugh]

Seriously....a car is a tool, not an identity, to me.

Another load of MSP BS, If your car has a inspection sticker and tinted glass, it should be assumed the Inspector took the meter out and checked your tint.

Without him taking out a meter and testing the glass he has no way to know if the tint is legal.

My tint is letter of the law legal and I have had it tested at inspection time. Well it is legal in MA, not NH, which is why that car is registered in MA because I'm not peeling the tint off so I can register it here.

I don't consider myself "stuck" with the Caravan....I have plenty of room for crap or passengers, enough power to haul my trailer, and a nice view of the road.

I don't feel like less of a man because I don't have a pickup.....'cause I got guns! [laugh]

Seriously....a car is a tool, not an identity, to me.

So you're telling us that you're other car isn't a Ferrari? [smile]

from my dealings as a youth....right from my lawer Give ID and then STFU.
Im finding the few run ins with LEO seem to be getting more on the line of "WE HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING"

My opinion:

That was a VERY stupid move.

Telling cops more than what they need to know is ALWAYS a bad idea.

and what is the point of this story anyways? That you didn't get a ticket?

maybe I should post about the warning I got 2 years ago on Rt44, for going at 5 miles over the speed limit. It was very intense. I got pulled over, gave him my license and registration, I did not tell him anything else, and 5min later he gave me a warning...The end.

Last edited:
What was your answer to the "What's in the duffel?" question?

(a) "Here, take look, you have my permission to search it"
(b) "Why do you ask?"
(c) "Did you stop me to ask that question?"
(d) "That's none of your business."

--jcr

[btw, you can edit the title of your thread. A "boarder" is someone who pays for "room and board" in a home. The division between states is a "border".]

Let me expand on this a bit:

1. Misspelling "border" is gay.
2. Jazz music is gay.
3. Giving a cop your LTC when he asked for your drivers license is gay.
4. Telling him you have a (OMG) LOADED (OMG) weapon on you is gay.
4. Driving a rice burner is gay.
5. Tinted windows in New England are gay.

But most of all:

6. "I got pulled over while carrying" threads are gay.

Overall this thread is gayer than a Dench wrestling match.

MsHappy's car is a Kia Soul. [laugh]

As to Broccoli's post - I go back to my original one - I have no idea how "disreputable" the OP looks in the eyes of the law. The last time I got pulled over I was in a minivan, at 11:30 PM in Concord, Mass with my two kids, my niece and nephew in the car, and I rolled through an octagonal "Yield" sign. When my kid sarted yelling, "Look Officer, Grave Digger" while showing him the stuffed monster truck toy we'd just got at the Monster Truck Rally, he gave me a look of sympathy, and let me go.

If the OP was pulled over for on "suspicion of being suspect" (young guy, tinted windows, .....INSTANT PROFILE!!!!!!), then it may have been a good move on his part to 'out himself". Hell, if you have an LTC, you're by legal definition, a "good guy". I know a guy at my club that was pulled over in a 'Vette convertible on the way to a trap shoot, top down, his shottie in it's high-end rectangualr hard case on the passenger seat - cop says, "Is that a gun?" "Yes, I'm going to a Trap shoot". Cop never asked for his LTC/FID. Why? He's an older, respectable-looking guy.

I've told my kids that when they start drivng, to do a walk-around with the lights on, to eliminate all "probable casue" . I'll tell them: no tinted windows, either.

Tint isnt gay in NE, it hides my obvious gawking while working near an area where ladies be at....

Just use cameras in the ladies room like normal people.

I can just imagine the reaction of MSP when they search the vehicle of almost any NES'r on the war to a car shoot... [laugh]

I can see it now. "What's in the vehicle sir?" Well, today we have 5 machine guns, some suppressors, a few pistols, a bunch of hi-cap mags and about 500 rounds of ammo. You can look if you want, but you can't touch. Jack.

I hope that this never happens to me, but if it does, you can be sure that I won't be volunteering the fact that I am armed unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. If there is one thing that I have learned in the past 44 years (and it get's repeated often here on this site), it's that nothing good ever comes out of giving information to cops unless you have no other choice. Inevitably it will lead to more scrutiny, questions, and possible searching, which is likely to turn up some little thing that you will regret. I do agree that certain cars do in fact profile you for added scrutiny, which is why I always use a somewhat invisible SUV, or other for my DD to fly under the radar, but I always have some sort of hot rod for nice weather cruising.[wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom