Pulled Over for a Expired Inspection Sticker - Mass - NH Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled Over for a Expired Inspection Sticker - Mass - NH Line.

About a month ago I was stopped coming home from NH (right on the line entering Mass). I was driving home down "Old RT1" when I saw the cop on the side of the road. He pulled out and followed behind me. I knew I was going to get stopped as the Inspection Sticker on my Truck is about 3 YEARS old (just never got around to it).
As I saw his lights go on, I debated to myself whether or not to say if I was carrying. But, being that I just didn't care either way (on that day), I figured I would for the hell of it - maybe I just wanted to see what would happen. I'm not one to flaunt my LTC.
He stopped me and walked up to my truck and before he could say anything I gave him my Drivers License, Registration, Mass LTC - (No Restrictions) and my NH Non- Resident Pistol/Revolver License and said "I am carrying, I just wanted you to be aware of it for your Safety as well as my own". He said " I pulled you over because your sticker is over due". I replied, "Yes, I know officer, I just never got around to it". He asked if the truck had any defects that would prevent it from passing and I replied "No". He walked back to his cruiser and came back about 2 minutes later and said "I'm just giving you a warning for the Sticker; it being 3 years old, that is a definite reason for a fine but, because you told me about your LTC and you didn't have too, shows that you have common sense of my job out here on the street".

I said thank you.........and drove away....[grin]

That goes against the advice of 100% of the officers I have spoken with - a dozen or more. In a conversation on Sunday with a MSP trooper, he echoed earlier conversations. "Unless I ask you, I don't want to know - nor do I care"....Sounds like you got a good guy pulling you over - many would not have been so kind with a 3-year old expired sticker...

Gee, all I had to do to get out of a speeding ticket in NH a few weeks ago was to tell the cop I was doing 50 in a 30 because I was pissed off at all the Kennedy funeral coverage on the radio. He even invited me to move to NH.

I'm unclear.

Was it a NH cop who stopped you on the NH side?
Or Was it a MA cop who stopped you the MA side?
Or was it a NH cop who stopped you on the MA side?
Or was it a MA cop who stopped you on the NH side?
[wink]

That goes against the advice of 100% of the officers I have spoken with - a dozen or more. In a conversation on Sunday with a MSP trooper, he echoed earlier conversations. "Unless I ask you, I don't want to know - nor do I care"....Sounds like you got a good guy pulling you over - many would not have been so kind with a 3-year old expired sticker...

I agree...And I think any other day I wouldn't have said I was. I guess I was just in one of those moods that day where I was curious.

And nope.... Still haven't gotten around to getting the sticker.. Maybe I should do that today.

[wink]

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!! Everything I have read in here says you would have been at gun point and your dog would have been shot had you told him about your sidearm!

I'm unclear.

Was it a NH cop who stopped you on the NH side?
Or Was it a MA cop who stopped you the MA side?
Or was it a NH cop who stopped you on the MA side?
Or was it a MA cop who stopped you on the NH side?
[wink]

Hmmm... I thought it was a state trooper.. I don't remember.. I know I could see the Welcome to Mass sign about 20ft away.

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!! Everything I have read in here says you would have been at gun point and your dog would have been shot had you told him about your sidearm!

[rofl][laugh2]

Maybe he got laid the night before from his wife and he was in a good mood..?

Your lucky. I got pulled over on the Mass. Pike near Sturbridge one time. I handed the officer my license and LTC. He asked me if I was a police officer and he proceeded to have me get out of the car, frisk me, tell me I was going to be arrested. I had to sit on the guard rail in the rain for 20 minutes while he called it in, then he came back and began to lecture me for about 20 minutes about how he is a police officer and how he doesn't even carry a firearm when he's off duty. Then he had me get back into the car so he could hand me my 1911 through the passenger window and send me on my way (along with a lanes violation).

I figured he'd be shot a few times in the back, then a couple more when he was down for good measure.

Your lucky. I got pulled over on the Mass. Pike near Sturbridge one time. I handed the officer my license and LTC. He asked me if I was a police officer and he proceeded to have me get out of the car, frisk me, tell me I was going to be arrested. I had to sit on the guard rail in the rain for 20 minutes while he called it in, then he came back and began to lecture me for about 20 minutes about how he is a police officer and how he doesn't even carry a firearm when he's off duty. Then he had me get back into the car so he could hand me my 1911 through the passenger window and send me on my way (along with a lanes violation).

I would have reported him and then some...

LOL...I know one thing for sure. Walking around in the Market Basket in New Hampshire open carrying a Sig220, (no one batted an eye), would have gotten me SWAT-teamed 15-miles away in MA... [grin]

Seeing as how an expired inspection sticker can be a moving violation, I would burn no more karma and get it inspected asap.

When I had an expired sticker (2 weeks) I got a ticket. I did not know that I could appeal. If you appeal they let it slide if you went out and got it inspected soon after.

So, Since I didn't know that I sent in the fine.

That ruined my extra-safe driver discount. It cost me $600 in extra money to the insurance company over 6 years. That is how long you have to wait to get that discount back.

What a lesson that was. [frown]

Impossible. If the state doesn't inspect your car at least once a year it turns into a flaming death machine on wheels, completely unsafe for anything in this world.

Impossible. If the state doesn't inspect your car at least once a year it turns into a flaming death machine on wheels, completely unsafe for anything in this world.

The way I see it is, if the law says you need it, you need it.
Yes, it's surchargeable in Mass. That's reason enough pay the $29.
But on the other side of the coin, there are deathtraps on the road that shouldn't be. I've been driving a towtruck doing police work for 25 years. I've seen it all. More than once have I towed a car into the yard and discovered cars with NO BRAKES. These are usually the arrest and Un/Un tows. I refuse to let someone drive out of our yard without brakes, but they all try. Those who are insistive usually only get a few blocks before the local PD is stopping (and towing) them again, this time for the "faulty and unsafe equiptment". A smart person would never let their brakes get this bad, but there's a severe lack of smart people.

WOW, Didn't have time (In 3 Yrs.) to get an Inspection Sticker?? WTF Over? The issue certainly is Surchargeable...That as pointed out is well worth the Hassle and Sticker Fee.

But here is the Rub, That 1 Expired Sticker is cause for a Police Motor Vehicle Stop. And that opens YOU up to close scrutiny.
Examples:
1) Did you have one drink to many? at the VFW Post?
2) Did you forget to renew your Drivers License?
3) Did you remember to bring your Driv. License?
4) Did you forget to put on your seatbelt?
5) Did your teenage son drop some Marijuanna stems and seeds on the floorboards or dash?, while he drove the family sedan?
6) Did you drop some stems and seeds on the floorboards or dash?
7) Do You have a Warrant? Did you pay that Ticket from 1993?

COME'ON 3 Years! ...People with Warrants often avoid the hassle of clearing up Warrants...they find it a hassle or an inconvenience. That is until, the Friday night of a 3 day Holiday Weekend, couple beers or a red light violation or INSPECTION STICKER VIOLATION......and they're in a jail cell till monday morning.

Do you really want to tempt fate over $29.00? Do you really want to give a Good Cop or Bad Cop, a free look into YOU and YOUR Vehicle over $29.00? Forget the Gun or LTC Issue...Get Smart or Get a big A** Ticket or Maybe that Issue in 1993 comes back to haunt you in 2009. I like to spend my 3 day holiday weekends....on Holiday.
DPS Out

Last edited:
You put off getting an inspection sticker...for 3 years....because you never got around to it.

That's epic,and has to be some sort of record.

By the third year, he will look legal again. The color codes for the stickers repeat every 3 years.

j/k
[smile]

I wonder what is the highway fatality rate difference between Ohio and Mass? I'm sure ours is so much higher because we don't have .gov car inspections.

WOW, Didn't have time (In 3 Yrs.) to get an Inspection Sticker?? WTF Over? The issue certainly is Surchargeable...That as pointed out is well worth the Hassle and Sticker Fee.

But here is the Rub, That 1 Expired Sticker is cause for a Police Motor Vehicle Stop. And that opens YOU up to close scrutiny.
Examples:
1) Did you have one drink to many? at the VFW Post?
2) Did you forget to renew your Drivers License?
3) Did you remember to bring your Driv. License?
4) Did you forget to put on your seatbelt?
5) Did your teenage son drop some Marijuanna stems and seeds on the floorboards or dash?, while he drove the family sedan?
6) Did you drop some stems and seeds on the floorboards or dash?
7) Do You have a Warrant? Did you pay that Ticket from 1993?

COME'ON 3 Years! ...People with Warrants often avoid the hassle of clearing up Warrants...they find it a hassle or an inconvenience. That is until, the Friday night of a 3 day Holiday Weekend, couple beers or a red light violation or INSPECTION STICKER VIOLATION......and they're in a jail cell till monday morning.

Do you really want to tempt fate over $29.00? Do you really want to give a Good Cop or Bad Cop, a free look into YOU and YOUR Vehicle over $29.00? Forget the Gun or LTC Issue...Get Smart or Get a big A** Ticket or Maybe that Issue in 1993 comes back to haunt you in 2009. I like to spend my 3 day holiday weekends....on Holiday.
DPS Out

Wooooo!! Slow down there "Gun Powder"... Yes, its 3 years old, still haven't gotten around to it... And you know what? That wasn't the point of the thread. [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom