• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSL build starting

So I got a mag . I heard they have to be fitted. Is it normal for the follower to keep the bolt open?
with out a barrel racking the bolt it would strip rounds from the mag.
any links etc to about fitting a mag?

some of the mags I have had to be filed a bit to fit the mag well - I think that may be more to do with the crusty mags and rust. But yes, supposedly when these guns were built, they were matched to thier rifle's mag well.

A sanding disc or file will do it. A few strokes and check fitment. Use a sharpie to mark up the magazine lips, insert the mag, look for where its contacting and run a file or sanding disk over it. Repeat until it fits well.

The bolt hold open feature is a function of the magazine and the support rivet on your receiver. The US made receivers dont have the bolt hold open, but the romanian made receivers do. I am not aware you can modfiy the US made receiver supports to use the little latch and spring that works as the bolt hold open on a romanian made receiver.

My receiver is a Romanian but missing the bolt hold parts. It had the weird center support but not the tab that gets pushed up to keep the bolt locked back.

I'm not sure if this is odd or not .The follower with keep the bolt locked back . When I pull the empty mag out the bolt releases.

I'll take a video when I get home.
I though people had to file the tabs on the mags etc .

Oh, I understand. No, you shouldnt have to file the tabs on the mag. Those little pieces can be found I think. I may have an extra lift gate and spring at home. Ill check tonight.

If any one comes across a psl bolt hit me up. I picked up a front trunnion and gonna build my 80% up witj a ak style buttstock and a shorter barrel.

I'll be buying a blank and having a local shop turn the barrel.

been looking. nothing so far from the usual suspects

Apex got some mags now btw. 45$ and 50$ each if I remember right . I hope to have the spare cash to get a couple more soon.

The two parts I'm having trouble finding , so I can collet parts to build the second one are the bolt and the mag latch. I lucked out and got a yugo m70 front trunnion. I guess it's the only other one that can safely be used.

I figure I can just make the mag catch .

I'd rather not build the second kit sharing a bolt. I def got in to this late in the game:(

Last edited:
yeah, every time I say "we got in this game late" a new shipment comes in and I go apeshit with my credit card. That was the egyptian shipment... still have a matching "sandscrit clingon" font Maadi folder kit w/romanian barrel from that bonanza.

I seriously hope Cugir gets no more orders for PSLs and decides to cut them all up and ship them over. Or they just ship the PSLs whole.

I don't know why they aren't shipping them over. Supposedly there are other markets that are more profitable than the US civilian market, which I call BS on. People were spending $2k for crap ARs a year ago. I think it's importers not getting approved forms for shipments, which is why I think a ton of Polish fixed stock AKMs hit the market in kit form, recently. Someone got tired of sitting on a shipment or rifles and cut them up instead. Across the Atlantic or here in the US.

Yeah I was using Loki to be my broker on those sites since I've been trolling a few builder sites .

I wish I bought a second kit when I had the chance . I really just wanted a stock psl when I bought it.
Then colddayinhell started showing me videos of the 16" vepr he's trying to buy. Now I want to have a fire ball monster too .

buy a stock one. They're built like hell from Cugir. Mine is a champ but it's got it's building flaws.

Literally it's an example as to why the "exacto crazo" builders who do things to a "T' are insane. My PSL's GRB is missing one of it's 2 pins.

No ****ing shit.

And it still runs like a ****ing champ.

Not buying a stock one at this point for me at least lol. But I did google Cugir psl and the prices seem cheaper then of you search psl
uru6uguj.jpg

The stupid company I went to that one man blind machine shop is finally finishing up a batch of psl barrels 10-14 weeks turned in to 30+ weeks . I'm so sick of being lied to about lead times I'm just gonna finish it like a stock psl minus the bayo lug I gave away. I got roughly 600$ into it now

I'm gonna use the cold steel blank to make a bastard ak54. I was gonna give this receiver away but they pissed me off so much I figure I should use it.
Yugo m70 front trunnion, ak47 piston, amd65 brake, and what ever sight block and front sight i can get for cheap. some beat up wood, if I wasn't in mass I would of figure out a way to do a folder. Figure the amd brake will make it interesting . If I can get a bolt fairly cheap I should be able to get it finished for around 500$ .
I thought cold steel screwed me over too since they took like 6 months to ship the 80% that was I stock when I placed my order.

Just watched some cool vids of a nice PSL build on AR15.com. Took his time and had some fitment issues but definitely takes the better part of a day. Looks like a nice project though.

Starts here

Last edited by a moderator:
The mother ****ing blind machinist ****ing me again .
Said barrel shipping last week of December ... After telling me 4 more weeks 4-5 times.
Post on his website Weaponsguild asking for up date etc.
Doesn't say shit about the barrels post about working on part kits.
I reply back what happen to the batch ... They came out .008 to small on the journal ...
Then post if he did to contact you this week thell be done end of February ...

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any one know a gun smith that can chamber and turn a barrel blank down ? I talked to1776 and they said they can do it(was gonna use them for the carbine build)

I got two options have two rpk barrels rechambered and one turned down for psl parts.. Buy a blank and gave the who thing made to psl specs . Or wait and see.

I'm so ****ing pissed off. ****ing Michaeljr "yeah this guy is who you want to use" ****!!!!!

So pissed off now .

i think i might get my form 1 back before you get a PSL.

please tell me you haven't paid this guy.

Sadly yes. I'm so pissed off am loss for words ...
One guy posted he's been waiting over a year .

I wish he could of used lube rapping me. **** I would of took the .008 under sized barrel and knurled it at this point.

get your dollars back, bro.

it'll be a sad day for you if i get my paper form 1 back before you get this PSL built.

i'll have started a project, ruined the rifle, have resold all the shit, and then completed a SBR before this is done. don't let me do that.

Adam gave me a number of a guy that might be able to make me the barrel. I contacted 1776 about a rechambering a rpk barrel for the carbine build. Just sent them a email asking if they can do the psl profile if I can find a print/ just give then the part kit to make it.

Soo pissed right now.

Sends email saying my barrel will be done at end of February ..... If I want a refund I'll have to wait till mid to late march cause all his money tied up buying new tools and stock for other products he has in pipe line .

I need to find out what gun smiths are local that can chamber a barrel . I can just call green mt and be done with these two in a week .... The ar 15 barrel I got from them shipped befor the money came out of my account .

Back
Top Bottom