• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSL build starting

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
So my parts kit came in the mail today took a hour or so to clean them all up from apex. Also have a blank receiver in limbo . Company not giving me lead time. .

uqavyde4.jpg

sy2uha4a.jpg

Not sure if I'm missing any parts . Any one can tell from the pics ?

Also I bought a rivet set from them. Any one know if it works ? Any one know a source for the center rivet ?

So this week end I was gonna start breaking it down some more . Ie pushing pins out. Any one can tell me which way to punch them out ?

Haven't placed the order on the barrel yet. wanted to wait for the parts kit and reviver to show up. I wanted to play it safe in case there was any problems.

So any one have a idea which way to punch the pins out? I know the barrel pin you need a press to get out.

Lol thanks!
Where u get the barrel .
Reciver etc .

Any chance we could meet befor the build and I take measurements off the reciver ? I bought a blank from cold steel and want to make sure the prints they ship are right .

Not sure if I'm missing any parts . Any one can tell from the pics ?

There are a few small parts for the bolt hold open that I don't see. Without installing them the bolt won't lock back when the magazine empties. It also looks like you're missing the side rail for the scope. If you didn't get one, don't spend $35 at Apex. Shoot me a PM and I'll send one your way a whole lot cheaper!

Yeah i kinda have the bolt hold open.
most of the kits don't have the bolt hold open , do I really need one is the real question..... lol

I got the scope rail it's just a twisted fing mess .
gaqu6ude.jpg

arusumuh.jpg

etu5e2et.jpg

I'm worried about the prebent flat ever showing up. I just don't like them not responding at all.

So I bought a receiver from Tennessee guns.
ugurepy9.jpg

Scope rail needs fitting and it looks like it doesn't have the mag release.
Feeling better about this company. I've never order any thing needing to go to a FFl before and they where quick responding.
I might just karma away the 80% if it ever shows up.

The bolt hold open is a matter of personal preference. The parts only consist of a spring, the hold open and one pin as far as I recall. Pretty easy to install if you can get hold of the parts. If not, you'll end up hearing a click every once in a while, which is par for the course with AK platforms.

You're better off with the finished receiver. The scope rail can be filed into spec or you can have it machined. Either way it's a hole lot easier than unbending that bent mess you received! I installed the mag catch in mine and only managed to have parts fly across the basement once or twice. [smile]

Lol that's for the tips , I looked up online about how todo it. I was like that's easy(watching a YouTube video)
Then I read the comments it was a airsoft lol.

One thing I'm little worried about with the receiver are the holes for trunnion holes. I read that there not all the same for Psl's
I'm not sure how to check if there in the right spot compared to the mag well etc.

Well got 90% done demilling my parts kit today. I'm thinking ill leave the front trunnion and sight block for when I start the barrel work. Ill drill the long rivets on the rear at work on the bridge port.
Luckily my dad has a press, front sight post was a bitch. Couldn't believe how easy the flash hider came off. Unscrewed it by hand lol .

Buying the reciever is the way to go. I got my kit right before original barrels vanished. Right now I have everything including the scope and all the field accessories I have been hunting down. I have a squareback reciever that I need to shape then rivet everything together.

Airsoft?! Ha! [grin]

You can check the hole alignment by sliding the demilled trunion into the receiver and look through the receiver holes. AK's aren't fussy when it comes to tolerances, so there shouldn't be a problem with the magazine spacing. Do note that PSL mags sometimes need some tweaking in order to work with a specific rifle. If your magazine doesn't lock up, you may need to do a little filing.

Lol that's for the tips , I looked up online about how todo it. I was like that's easy(watching a YouTube video)
Then I read the comments it was a airsoft lol.

One thing I'm little worried about with the receiver are the holes for trunnion holes. I read that there not all the same for Psl's
I'm not sure how to check if there in the right spot compared to the mag well etc.

Last edited:
That was some thing I was worried about . From what I read the trunnion needs to be a certain distance from the magwell. I was little worried about this and the holes being drilled already .

rumor has it on the interwebz that you are doing a screw build on this rifle.

For the love of all things holy, please do not do this. Screw builds are bullshit builds, and on a PSL, 3 machine screw threads is the last thing you want between you and a face full of your bolt carrier, front trunnion, or rear trunnion.

Given that you are dealing with a piece-part kit and not a kit with a barrel already pressed and pinned into a trunnion, the "saved effort" of a screw build is thusly negated, and you are only doing something dumb, not something that is saving you any work.

Seriously. Threading and tapping 1.5mm of steel is a lot more difficult that smashing a rivet.

What is wrong with you.

Love ya Ben but I would take Flintoid's word as gold if I ever built anything Russian. I know NES likes to think they know it all and I can only count them with 1 hand. He is one of them.

Do you really have the patience and/or machine to thread the steel? [shocked]

rumor has it on the interwebz that you are doing a screw build on this rifle.

For the love of all things holy, please do not do this. Screw builds are bullshit builds, and on a PSL, 3 machine screw threads is the last thing you want between you and a face full of your bolt carrier, front trunnion, or rear trunnion.

Given that you are dealing with a piece-part kit and not a kit with a barrel already pressed and pinned into a trunnion, the "saved effort" of a screw build is thusly negated, and you are only doing something dumb, not something that is saving you any work.

Seriously. Threading and tapping 1.5mm of steel is a lot more difficult that smashing a rivet.

What is wrong with you.

The screw build would go nicely with his abomination of a mosin

Lol comrades,

I am not doing a screw build . I took the rear trunnion in to work today so I could drill the two rivets out on the bridge port.

I posted this photo on face book.
e5y3ypap.jpg

Atillia asked me what I was doing and to screw with him and Loki I told him I drilled and taped for screw build.
I've been screwing with them telling Atillia I was doing a screw build and Loki I was gonna make it all tacticalcool and neon pink.

Yes I bead blasted it, there was a bunch of surface rust on it. Only part in the kit in this shape. Only part I needed to worry about refinishing .

Since I got the two ak gods in this thread flint and Boris .
What would you guys recommend to refinish the trunnion?
Also I was thinking of getting the adjustable gas block so I don't have to worry about shooting surplus ammo.

Al, you know I run a machine shop.

Some proof I'm doing a rivet build .
ysa7y6ep.jpg

Got the bolt cutter to swap out the jaws to squeeze the small rivets .

I would just paint it. But I don't really care about finish unless I'm trying to recreate a "look."

If you were super worried about rusting, parkerize the whole rifle when it's assembled and then paint it.

atilla is a dick

Cool thanks ...

Flint I lost that thread where you posted local shops that can do barrel work for ak since I'm starting with a virgin barrel .
Mind giveing me the names again .

I run the machine shop, at my work. I don't own the place . The owner is a huge anti .
My boss is a vet told me I can sneak stuff in as along as it don't look like guns and I build stuff for his brewing setup.

I was hoping I could find a place local or offer vodka and cash to a NESer so I could learn in person.

Back
Top Bottom