"Protected by Smith & Wesson"

Obie1

NES Member
I saw one of these stickers on a house window the other day and it got me thinking. Is this likely to deter anyone or encourage thieves looking to steal guns? Or is it more likely to ensure that anyone who intrudes is also carrying? If the homeowner does shoot an invader, is it more likely to be used as evidence that he tried to warn or that he's a gun nut looking for a firefight?
Personally, I won't advertise on my property or vehicles that I may be armed; obviously others disagree.

if i was a thief, and i saw that sticker, my first thought would not be "they have a lot of guns"

my first thought would be that the homeowner owns a gun, and will kill me.

but then again, im not a thief so i dont know how their mind works.

if i was a thief, and i saw that sticker, my first thought would not be "they have a lot of guns"

my first thought would be that the homeowner owns a gun, and will kill me.

but then again, im not a thief so i dont know how their mind works.

I think if I was a criminal, my thoughts would be "I'll have to case this house for a little longer than usual to make sure nobody is home, then go and steal all the guns".

Many years ago when I lived in Lynn, I had that sticker on my truck.

One morning I went out for work and found that every vehicle on the street had been broken into over night. Except one.

My truck.

I wouldn't put on on my house or car, maybe my nalgene but that is about it, but to each his own. some will think it deters while others will think it attracts.

I'm in the camp of "concealed means concealed"! Anytime you put stickers like that on your car it can only invite trouble. I know if I was a thief, I would know exactly which house (or car) I would target once I was certain that there was no one home. I have tried to also teach my kids that they are not to EVER brag at school, or anyplace else about all of the cool guns dad has. Nothing good ever comes of that.

im always protected by Smith & Wesson, i just dont advertise it.

well, other than on the internet [laugh]

S&W sent me a few of those stickers... I put one on my back slider window. As much for novelty purposes & conversation starter for us on the deck, than as any attempt as a deterrent. I don't have any gun or hunting-related stickers on my vehicles (Patriots, Red Sox and H-D stickers, yes). I agree that thieves would indeed use the decal (at least on a house) to know that your house has guns in it, so when they break in they'll be looking for them to steal.

Bob maybe it's because your truck is a POS so they didn't bother. lol They took pity on you (?).

I do wear a GOAL t-shirt on occasion. I only wear my NRA cap to Starbucks on Valentine's Day. Otherwise, concealed means concealed. I was wondering how many of the guys in the gun shop last night picking up their lowers, was carrying. I'm betting there were several of us, but we'll never know, and that's the way it should be.

Anything you reveal to the public CAN be used against you. That does not mean that it always WILL be used against you.

I saw one of these stickers on a house window the other day and it got me thinking. Is this likely to deter anyone or encourage thieves looking to steal guns? Or is it more likely to ensure that anyone who intrudes is also carrying? If the homeowner does shoot an invader, is it more likely to be used as evidence that he tried to warn or that he's a gun nut looking for a firefight?
Personally, I won't advertise on my property or vehicles that I may be armed; obviously others disagree.

I think that they would just wait till you are gone and walk in.

I'm in the camp of "concealed means concealed"! Anytime you put stickers like that on your car it can only invite trouble. I know if I was a thief, I would know exactly which house (or car) I would target once I was certain that there was no one home. I have tried to also teach my kids that they are not to EVER brag at school, or anyplace else about all of the cool guns dad has. Nothing good ever comes of that.

My girlfriend bragged about me in front of her friend, she was like: "he has a bunch of guns in (insert room)" Thats when I let out a pretty loud: "STFU" in front of all her friends.

My girlfriend bragged about me in front of her friend, she was like: "he has a bunch of guns in (insert room)" Thats when I let out a pretty loud: "STFU" in front of all her friends.

You remind me of my sister-in-law's mothering technique. Instead of talking to my nieces and nephew about what was acceptable or not (e.g. "We're going in a restaurant so you have to sit quietly and use your indoor voices."), she'd wait until they made a fart noise, then yell at them in front of everyone and lead my nephew out by the ear. Totally reactive. Not pretty, and not tactful. How did he know it was wrong to make funny noises? Was he a bad kid? I don't think so. He just wasn't given the right guidance ahead of time.

If you don't set (your kids', your girlfriends', wives', etc.) expectations up-front, what right do we have to be upset when those expectations aren't met?

Last edited:
I hate it when my wife "outs" me.......(yelling)HEY......ARE YOU CARRYING?

One time you should respond with "No I'm not carrying you, you're too heavy!". I bet she won't yell it again [smile]

I used to have a GF who would always ask "Are you sure you're okay to drive?" when we'd leave a party. I finally explained the implication of what she was asking, asked her not to do it anymore, and it worked like a charm. I'd do the same about carrying/storing/stockpiling([wink]) if I could find a girl who'd tolerate me.

I was thinking about this a while back as a joke. Would be funny to have something like this on the house:

House protected by ADT. Residents protected by Smith & Wesson.

Relatives outed me in front of people about my guns. I played it off and said I no longer had any, then I took them aside and explained I didnt like other people knowing what I have and why. They felt bad and no longer mention it. I dont have stickers on my house, but I am known by a few as "that guy that casts bullets" in his driveway lol This summer both neighbors on each side of me got hit, but no one bothered with my home. I think I just got lucky, I wont ever purposely advertise.

S&W sent me a few of those stickers... I put one on my back slider window. As much for novelty purposes & conversation starter for us on the deck, than as any attempt as a deterrent. I don't have any gun or hunting-related stickers on my vehicles (Patriots, Red Sox and H-D stickers, yes). I agree that thieves would indeed use the decal (at least on a house) to know that your house has guns in it, so when they break in they'll be looking for them to steal.

Bob maybe it's because your truck is a POS so they didn't bother. lol They took pity on you (?).

I do wear a GOAL t-shirt on occasion. I only wear my NRA cap to Starbucks on Valentine's Day. Otherwise, concealed means concealed. I was wondering how many of the guys in the gun shop last night picking up their lowers, was carrying. I'm betting there were several of us, but we'll never know, and that's the way it should be.

That HD sticker is essentially doing the same thing the S&W sticker is doing. calling attention to the fact that you have fancy things.

Many years ago when I lived in Lynn, I had that sticker on my truck.

One morning I went out for work and found that every vehicle on the street had been broken into over night. Except one.

My truck.
So you broke into everyone else's vehicles and thought no body would think it was you

Element of surprise is always a game changer and I would defiantly not advertise about carrying or having guns. Because someday someones going to build up the balls and try to come after you. Little do they know that theres a 3" slug coming there way.

Concealed means concealed.

This...stickers like the one described are for keyboard commandos IMO.

im always protected by Smith & Wesson, i just dont advertise it....

I have a pile of stickers that I was trying to think of where to place.

Not on my house, not on my truck, not on my computer....

I wouldn't put on on my house or car, maybe my nalgene but that is about it

On my water bottle! Perfect idea! Thanks, Boghog!

Back
Top Bottom