Project/junker rifles.

How many do you guys have? I have 3 off the top of my head, unsafe to shoot or need a new barrel.
A MAS 36/5 something (the bolt action french thing with a grenade launcher) got cheap from century and found out why. Horrible shape. looked like beavers chewed on the stock. the metal wasn't too bad but the bore as DARK) never did much more than clean it.

Argentine Mauser This was just a barreled action I got from someone.

and a turk Mauser - Nice gun but bad headspace I traded it for some ammo and then had to take it back.

and the worse thing is they really arn't worth burning my remaining Private transactions on.
and they take up safe space.!

I can't keep a project rifle laying around without finishing it ASAP.[smile]
I do have a drill and tap side scope mount for an SKS project that I've been really lazy about though so I guess that counts.

Well I only bought one of them (the MAS) got the turk on a trade with 2 other guns we wanted. you guys just don't do enough horse trading! Lol

I have three "woodless Dane" garands from CMP (complete except for wood) - and 2 "barrelled receiver" Garands from CMP. I just got one of the Inland M1 carbines that is complete - but could stand to be cleaned up. 2 Swiss K31's that are in good shape - but could be better, and everything else needs a good cleaning. Everything is on hold until I get some spare time - which is currently not going to happen for a while since I have a large barn currently under construction - and the S.O. wants the renovations to the addition we put on 5 years ago finished.

To get around the lack of time I just keep buying more guns instead of fixing up the ones I have. Sooner or later I will be looking for a project to do over the Winter.

sounds familiar I have been fixing/painting out 212 year old house this summer and I also redid the bathroom, and have a ton more to do. this is one of the first years I have been healthy enough to do it. AS it was I recently squeaked out two of my projects time wise. (thank god for raining days!) my 8mm conversion pieces for the 1919a4 and the rail conversion fro my Bushy M17 so I got the parts off the bench and they are off deadline.
still have the Yugo SKS stock I have to finish up on. (and then get the 44 MB willys going!)
I need to retire.

I have an old .22 that was a hand-me-down. The wood was in great condition, but was stained WAY too dark. I hit it with some bright light, and it looked like it had a pretty decent grain pattern. I stripped the wood, and WOW! Talk about some great looking wood. I am still working on the butt stock. I am refinishing it with tung oil, and have already done 3 grain fills, and am on coat #11. I keep telling myself that I need to stop, but with every coat I put on, it seems to look better and better!

The other issue, is the gun is semi-auto, with a tube magazine. There is something wrong with the tube. If you push the little plunger down with a dowel, it won't come back out. The spring is there, but I think there is a bunch of corrosion in there or something that is binding it up. I still need to figure out how to take that apart, and get that straightened out as well.

Some steel/copper wool on the end of the dowel? Maybe wrap some fine crocus cloth around the dowel and use that to remove the corrosion?

I already had a bore brush inside the tube, but to really see what is going on inside there, I need to take the whole thing apart. I just haven't had much time to figure out what I need to cut/punch to take it apart without damaging it.

Hey if you're looking to get rid of that MAS 36/51 let me know, I've accumulated a bunch of MAS 36 parts when I put mine together a couple of years ago and I need another project to work on.

Hnad me downs from my Grandfather and father, still trying to figure out their histories.

Arisaka type 38 with an untouched mum.
and a Type I (made by the Italians for the Japanese)

both need a good cleaning, refinishing and to be checked out.

I expect that Pilgrim (Dennis) will be along shortly to drool and offer you money for the Jap rifle with the mum, but I suspect that he'll tell you to ONLY clean the Type 38 and not to do any mods to it. From what I understand, they're worth much more with that mum intact.

I expect that Pilgrim (Dennis) will be along shortly to drool and offer you money for the Jap rifle with the mum, but I suspect that he'll tell you to ONLY clean the Type 38 and not to do any mods to it. From what I understand, they're worth much more with that mum intact.

You are partially correct, Ross, at least about the cleaning and the 'mum'.

However I wouldn't offer him anything in an attempt to buy a gun that obviously has some family history and sentiment to it..unless he insists on selling it, of course. [smile]

BTW, the intact mum most likely means that it was a bring back that got picked up by his grandfather during the war. Any that came here after the war ended (which was most of those now available) had to have the mum defaced as part of the agreement we had with the Japs so as not to dishonor the Emperor.

mum.jpg

Sorry not for sale. The type I is definantly from my maternal grandfather, he felt the need to stamp his name in the stock. He was a WWII vet. I think the type 38 came from my father's side, although I'm not sure of the WWII connection on that side. Unfortunanlty they have both passed, so I'm going to have to do my home work to find out how they made it state side.

Is the best bet just to clean them? no re-blueing etc? The type I has all the parts. the Type 38 needs a pin, a spring and a safety know. I want to preserve them but I want to be able to shoot them too. any input is appreciated.

sorry for the jumbo pic, it took me an hour to figure out how to get it posted.

OK, I missed the part it being from your grandfather - my apologies! Of COURSE you keep it!

Now... I'm NOT a collector; I don't like safe queens. So what I'd do (and this will horrify any collectors out there) would be to clean up that rust and maybe reblue it, as well as get the parts to get it back in working order. As I said, if you want to keep it as a collector's piece, you don't want to listen to me...

BTW, congrats on having some wonderful pieces of family history there.

I think I'll see where some steel wool gets me and take it from there. As for headspace, is it worth having my own set of gauges. One set would do both rifles (6.5 jap). The 3 piece set I found was ~$150, would it be signifcantly cheaper to have a gunsmith check it? How often does one check headspace; if it is often, having my own set would make the most sence.

I'd use 00 steel wool and Break Free and thats it. Replace any parts with original rifle parts, not newly manufactured. Hunting and finding correct items is half the fun of collecting.
Clean the wood with some gentle wood cleaner that is suitable for antique furniture and maybe lightly oil it to keep it from drying out.
No refinishing, it ruins collector value.
You really only need a field guage for headspace and you'll only have to check it once.

So he just leaves the bare spots where it's rusted and keeps it oiled to prevent further rust?

Will that 00000 steel wool take off any more bluing or is it too fine to damage it? Just wondering.

So he just leaves the bare spots where it's rusted and keeps it oiled to prevent further rust?

Will that 00000 steel wool take off any more bluing or is it too fine to damage it? Just wondering.

That pretty much it...except it's four 0 not five 0.

I haven't found that 0000 hurts the blue at all. If you use a courser variety to get at the stuff that's in the pits, it will scratch up the good blue. Keeping a good coat of oil on it will sorta cover the brown rust and keep it from spreading.

Back
Top Bottom