• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problems with Winchester White box 9mm NEW UPDATE POST #58

I just checked my most recent box of WWB. I don't see anything similiar to what you posted but there is a lot of tarnish on the base of the casing around the primer on several rounds.

Picked up a 100 round value pack @ Wallyworld in Rindge NH. All 100 looked & fired fine.

Similar experience here -- a little dirty, but they mostly look ok. However, I did find a 50rd box that I bought a couple of months ago (hiding @ the bottom of an ammo can), and it's in much worse shape. Pretty dirty, some with red paint (WWC stamped -- perhaps sealant?) on them, and just about all seem to have experienced a somewhat violent priming process. There's a pronounced off-center imprint around the primer pockets (presumably from a misaligned/adjusted primer ram).

I'll post pics when I can. Is it worth contacting Winchester?

My camera's macro sucks, but I think you can see what I mean.

IMG_4292.jpg

Last edited:
An update on my situation from post #82:

UPS picked up the ammo on 12/21/10.
Winchester received the ammo on 1/3, after they were closed from 12/23 to 1/3. I called on 1/6 or 1/7 and left a message asking for an update.
Got a return message asking for a week's time so the technician can review the ammo (why does it take a week to open a box and look at the junk inside?).
Called back on 1/17 or 1/18 and left another message with their customer service department, no return call. Today, left a message directly for the rep I had spoken with over 10 days ago, awaiting return call.

An update on my situation from post #82:

UPS picked up the ammo on 12/21/10.
Winchester received the ammo on 1/3, after they were closed from 12/23 to 1/3. I called on 1/6 or 1/7 and left a message asking for an update.
Got a return message asking for a week's time so the technician can review the ammo (why does it take a week to open a box and look at the junk inside?).
Called back on 1/17 or 1/18 and left another message with their customer service department, no return call. Today, left a message directly for the rep I had spoken with over 10 days ago, awaiting return call.

Any updates on this?

Not sure what deals people are getting on this stuff, but I have been finding cheaper ammo without the problems that the WWB stuff has been having. My dollars are going elsewhere.

I spoke with Sheryl at Winchester yesterday, the tech finally finished his research/analysis on the 25th. She said it was excessive primer lacquer on the case walls... Supposed to be getting a letter in the mail and then they're shipping out replacement ammo at the end of this week or the start of next week.

I spoke with Sheryl at Winchester yesterday, the tech finally finished his research/analysis on the 25th. She said it was excessive primer lacquer on the case walls... Supposed to be getting a letter in the mail and then they're shipping out replacement ammo at the end of this week or the start of next week.

I got the same info, only it was "compensation" not replacement. So take that fwiw

Not out of the woods yet! I got a package today via UPS from Winchester, I open it up and pull out 1 box...2 boxes....[shocked] where's the 3rd box!?!? I sent in 3 and only got 2 back!

Promptly called up Sheryl at Winchester (we are on a first name basis at this point) and she checks my file..."Oh the tech wrote 100 pieces and then corrected the count later, I will put in the order for the 3rd, actually I will send you 2 boxes."

So I got 2 back, waiting for another package with the 3rd, and one extra for my troubles.

Purchased on 12/17, sent back and Winchester received it on 1/3, 1/25 they sent two thirds of the replacement, received 2/1. Going to have a hard time buying Winchester products from now on, I think.

Well, my Winchester White Box ordeal is finally over. Originally purchased 3 boxes of garbage on 12/17/10, received 2 replacement boxes, called again and had the third, plus 1, (50 round), box for my troubles sent out on 2/15/11 and received on 2/18/11...

Only ~60 days and 2 of the 4 boxes look just as shitty as the stuff I sent in! I won't be buying any more Winchester White Box ammunition. [thinking]

Digging up an old thread.. but after about 1500 rounds of wwb 9mm through my ruger I finally got a dud last night. Never had a dud round ever before, but 1 in 1500 seems like good odds. Just wanted to throw out a review on their reliability in my experience.

Given the milliopns of rounds loaded one can expect sanfus once ina while. Call Winchester and send then a photo of the ammo. I'm sure they will take care of you.

I am seeing the 100 round federal boxes more and more and in quantity. :)
The only issue i have had with wwb is bullets that were not fully seated.... they were too long to fit in the magazine

Similar experience here -- a little dirty, but they mostly look ok. However, I did find a 50rd box that I bought a couple of months ago (hiding @ the bottom of an ammo can), and it's in much worse shape. Pretty dirty, some with red paint (WWC stamped -- perhaps sealant?) on them, and just about all seem to have experienced a somewhat violent priming process. There's a pronounced off-center imprint around the primer pockets (presumably from a misaligned/adjusted primer ram).

I'll post pics when I can. Is it worth contacting Winchester?

My camera's macro sucks, but I think you can see what I mean.

IMG_4292.jpg

That off center imprint is from a crimping machine. The ammo in that pic has crimped primer pockets, that looks like 9mm NATO ball ammo. (Military type 9mm is usually crimped).

-Mike

Not sure what deals people are getting on this stuff, but I have been finding cheaper ammo without the problems that the WWB stuff has been having. My dollars are going elsewhere.

I agree... WWBs price is starting to suck, too, at $25 for 100 rounds. 9mm can still be had for about 10 bucks a box/50 in bulk if one looks around hard enough. The best deal going right now is the Federal 100 round val packs for $20 at walmart, if you can find them. I'm sure anyone with a brain cleans those out the moment they see them. That fed champion stuff has a hell of a flash, though. [laugh]

-Mike

That off center imprint is from a crimping machine. The ammo in that pic has crimped primer pockets, that looks like 9mm NATO ball ammo. (Military type 9mm is usually crimped).

-Mike

Holy late reply Batman! I think I figured it out pretty soon after posting that one, but I appreciate the follow-up! [thumbsup]

I agree... WWBs price is starting to suck, too, at $25 for 100 rounds. 9mm can still be had for about 10 bucks a box/50 in bulk if one looks around hard enough. The best deal going right now is the Federal 100 round val packs for $20 at walmart, if you can find them. I'm sure anyone with a brain cleans those out the moment they see them. That fed champion stuff has a hell of a flash, though. [laugh]

-Mike

Dayum, that is cheap. I gotta start looking for that. I was doing the 11 dollar stuff at FS and have been all along.

I actually just shot some federal champion I bought...I cant remember where. KTP maybe? I liked it. I shot pretty well with it.

-Mike

Just as you said, anyone who is serious about getting ammo, will jump on the 100rd VP of Federal for 20$ at the Wal. Get them whilst you can, because they are not on the modular plan, and are sent from the warehouse most of the time as a 'feeler' item or an over buy by the purchaser. If more people buy them out at stores, the the POS report may reflect that it is a key product and maybe, just maybe the powers that be will add it to local stores.

Walmart in Hudson MA had the Federal 100 packs the other day. I am hesitant about their products now, because I bought a box of .45 ACP and several of the the bullets were seated extremely low in the cartridge.

Walmart in Hudson MA had the Federal 100 packs the other day. I am hesitant about their products now, because I bought a box of .45 ACP and several of the the bullets were seated extremely low in the cartridge.

Well, WWB's QC is no better, really. Both companies will typically send you free ammo if you take the time to complain to them. Take pics and email them or whatever. It's worth it to get a few free boxes of ammo.

-Mike

I emailed their customer service and they said to send it back, but I wasn't given any RMA number or anything official, so I'm concerned that they will just ignore me after I send it to them.

I emailed their customer service and they said to send it back, but I wasn't given any RMA number or anything official, so I'm concerned that they will just ignore me after I send it to them.

They will take care of it. Just put your information in there so they know where to send the replacement. They have had some issues but from what I have seen have been correcting them.

Back
Top Bottom