• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problems with Winchester White box 9mm NEW UPDATE POST #58

Same problem here. This was from a 20 round box of Winchester PDX1 ammo. I had this loaded in my carry gun for months.

026.jpg

Another angle. I got the WTF? look from my girlfriend when she saw me doing my little photo shoot. I only said make love to the camera one time...jeesh

027.jpg

Thanks for updating the thread Jigganuts. I just checked the two boxes of Winchester PDX1 .38 spl I purchased from Wal-Mart. 7 out of the 40 rounds had similar tool marks shown in the pic below. Quality control ought to be better for $1.1/round premium ammo. I don't have similar problems with Speer Gold Dot.

WinchesterPDX1.jpg

Same problem here. This was from a 20 round box of Winchester PDX1 ammo. I had this loaded in my carry gun for months.

Issues like this are the reason I personally inspect every single round of my carry ammo before the gun and mags are loaded.

I bought a box of 9mm WWB once when my wife and I were going to the range, the rounds were physically ok, but my God were they the dirrtiest down rounds I've ever seen, had to stop half way through the box and clean my SR9, it was caked with carbon.

Now I only buy Remington and Federal for the range, I use Magtech guardian gold as my carry round.

You actually loaded that into the gun/mag? [shocked]

If I was going to make a WAG, you've added ' "visual inspection" to the routine? [laugh]

-Mike

Another angle. I got the WTF? look from my girlfriend when she saw me doing my little photo shoot. I only said make love to the camera one time...jeesh

Looks like it's kind of a major issue with Winchester.

That sucks. WWB has these problems, another post not that long ago addressed some Rem UMC "deep-seated" bullets..........I know on some level you get what you pay for, but is there a quality, consistent manufacturer of inexpensive ammo out there anymore?

That sucks. WWB has these problems, another post not that long ago addressed some Rem UMC "deep-seated" bullets..........I know on some level you get what you pay for, but is there a quality, consistent manufacturer of inexpensive ammo out there anymore?

I've found CCI Blazer Brass and Blazer AL to be very good, overall. Back when I didn't reload I shot thousands of rounds of both types. These days it usually costs more than WWB though. Fed American Eagle is excellent ammo, but the price on it has generally gotten stupid. I also think Fed AE is dirtier than Blazer is, but not by much.

-Mike

You actually loaded that into the gun/mag? [shocked]

If I was going to make a WAG, you've added ' "visual inspection" to the routine? [laugh]

-Mike

You got that right. Crazy how that slipped by me. Now it takes me twenty five minutes to load a hi-cap mag.[laugh]

I've found CCI Blazer Brass and Blazer AL to be very good, overall.

A few years ago I was given a 100 round box of Blazer Aluminum in .38 Special. Most of the cases split when fired so it was a PITA to extract, and it was filthy ammo. The bullets were unjacketed lead, and they looked as rough as playdough or something. The box was free though, so I never got around to complaining.

A few years ago I was given a 100 round box of Blazer Aluminum in .38 Special. Most of the cases split when fired so it was a PITA to extract, and it was filthy ammo. The bullets were unjacketed lead, and they looked as rough as playdough or something. The box was free though, so I never got around to complaining.

I should have added the qualifier..... yes, the blazer .38s suck, because the cases expand and often get stuck. [laugh]

99% of the blazer I've used has been in 9mm, 10mm Auto, .40 S+W, and .45 ACP. I've probably used more of the Blazer .45 in AL and Brass than all the other calibers, although I used to get the 9mm fairly frequently when it was pretty cheap.

-Mike

Wow, wish I'd seen this before we went out and bought our first bunch of ammo, but glad I saw it before I shot any of it. I did sift through the WWB stuff a bit and didn't see any bent up rounds but I will be on the look now.

Luckily most of the stuff we bought was Fed American Eagle though.

Hard to find stuff in bulk. We wanted a package of a thousand rounds but apparently my dad couldn't find that quantity very easily.

I should have added the qualifier..... yes, the blazer .38s suck, because the cases expand and often get stuck. [laugh]

Is there a reason for that, some secret that a reloading guru like yourself would know? After that free box I never bothered with Blazer AL again, but I've had no problems with Blazer brass. Just wondering why .38's would have split cases and not 10mm's.

Is there a reason for that, some secret that a reloading guru like yourself would know? After that free box I never bothered with Blazer AL again, but I've had no problems with Blazer brass. Just wondering why .38's would have split cases and not 10mm's.

FWIW I haven't seen split necks in .38, but they still got stuck. My guess is that,, metallurgically, the AL cases won't stretch as far as brass ones without starting to fail. I haven't seen cracks in the other AL cases, but I know that they're not especially strong. There also are various warnings against using Blazer AL in open bolt submachine guns because of this. (Basically, guns like FA uzis, mac 11s, etc, more or less slam fire continuously, and the "slam fire blowback" process in an open bolt SMG is harder on the cartridge case than it would be normally.

-Mike

I picked up 3 boxes of the 185 gr. FMJ .45 ACP range ammo tonight from WalMart, 150 rounds. They're ALL dirty, black crap all over the cases, lots of little dents and dings in the cases. I pulled 7 aside, one looks like someone took a small pick and scratched up the case, 6 of them have what look like a small chip, or really light firing pin strikes on the primers...

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow to see if you guys think I should try to shoot 'em or contact Winchester.

No question...contact Winchester. This is supposed to be new ammo (not my reloads!)...what the hey?
You may or may not get any satisfaction, but why settle for faulty appearing merchandise?

I picked up 3 boxes of the 185 gr. FMJ .45 ACP range ammo tonight from WalMart, 150 rounds. They're ALL dirty, black crap all over the cases, lots of little dents and dings in the cases. I pulled 7 aside, one looks like someone took a small pick and scratched up the case, 6 of them have what look like a small chip, or really light firing pin strikes on the primers...

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow to see if you guys think I should try to shoot 'em or contact Winchester.

Here's the pics, you can see how dirty they all are, black gunk all over the place. First one is the scratching on the case, it's actually deeper than the picture looks but I was fighting with the glare:

d514a8ea.jpg

This one shows the marks on the primers:

d997cd3a.jpg

As does this one:

a24d8e0e.jpg

ETA: Winchester is not open on the weekends. Time to send an email!

Last edited:
That's messed up (especially the primers, IMO). I'm starting to lose serious faith in WWB, although I fortunately haven't had any issues myself. Hopefully they'll respond as they did with Derek.........1000 shiny rounds.

Looks like the employees were playing air hockey on the floor with an overturned tray of ammo...or something similar. That ammo has been vibrating away somewhere to get the marks on the head and in what...who knows! The galling on the body just isn't right either. Maybe the base metal was flawed, maybe it was added post inception, but it should have been culled and rejected. (You can pick up range brass with less wear than that.)

Just got off the phone with Winchester, they're sending a UPS tag so I can ship this bad stuff to them and then they will replace it.

It's been my experience that reputable ammunition manufacturers are very eager to maintain good customer relations in incidents such as these.

Back
Top Bottom