Problems with Winchester White box 9mm NEW UPDATE POST #58

I just spoke with Jeff at Appalachian Ammunition and he is a great guy. For all of you free staters you have a great resource here in Jeff. If anyone goes up his way or hangs at the maine gun shows, stop by his booth.

WOW! Before I started reloading. WW is pretty much all I ever shot in my 9.. .40S&W and .45 ACP and I always found there ammo to be excellent. Dam, hopefully that way just a slip.

Yeh, I do. Even after I tumble it. I wear Latex gloves to keep the metals off my skin and for quality control purposes. I manufacture new and re-man.

Free Staters can contact me at : [email protected] or visit: www.appalachianammo.com to view my current inventory.

Appalachian Ammunition, Inc. will also be at the New England Gun Collector's Show at the Augusta Armory on Western Ave., this Saturday (7/31) and Sun. (8/1)

Cheers, Jeff Holt

Nice to know it's not just me. [laugh] It leaves my hands feeling tacky/sticky too, but it's not a problem when I shoot indoors or in air conditioning.

Lol, you even dissolve ammo, too, and not just guns? [rofl]

-Mike

With WWB I think it's just a coating that they put on the metal that rubs onto my hands, but yeah, I kind of do. I'll take a picture of the top rounds in my carry mags sometime, it only takes a couple weeks to make the shiny brass cases and copper JHP's look as dull and faded as a 50 year old penny. I actually texted DickWanner a picture the other day of the new rust on the trigger of one of my Glocks...I rusted up the slide of a stainless Kahr in about 8 hours a couple weeks ago just by racking the slide on it twice, no other touching.

I'm like Rust Midas or something. [laugh]

Looks like they blew me off. I'm glad I took the time to package and send them the bad ammo to help them make more money. [thinking]

Over the weekend at the NER IDPA match we had a woman come through on my stage that had an ammo problem. It was WWB and looked just like your picture. It got jammed in the chamber and it took a while to unlock the slide. It probably ruined her match. [thinking]

Last edited:
Looks like they blew me off. I'm glad I took the time to package and send them the bad ammo to help them make more money. [thinking]

That sucks... so they told you to send it back, and you did, and no response? [thinking] What a bunch of asshats. I'd probably be chewing someone out at winchester now, or trying to fire off a letter to someone at Olin that is actually important. Unlike politicians, brass in some corporations will actually respond to a customer complaint. I'd be pretty pissed regardless.

-Mike

so their mailing you back FOUR or FIVE rounds?

I had an issue with Wolf pistol ammo and they mailed me two boxes of ammo.

I suspect that Winchester will either mail D a full box of ammo or a coupon for same to be used at his favorite store.

I have a single round of Wolf .223 (old stock) with an inverted primer to notify them about when I have some spare time. I expect that Wolf will probably ship me a full box of ammo and a picture will probably suffice from my end (since mailing ammo is a PITA and UPS is more expensive than the box of ammo).

When I had a casehead separation in my Glock 23 about five years ago, Federal sent me four 20-round boxes of ammo.

I had that *exact* problem in Win White Box 9mm 3+ years ago. Posted a pic, too. Here:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks to be a widespread problem.

Yup, I've found some, not as bad as yours however. Never bothered to report it to Winchester however.

I think QC went to hell when the wars started and they just needed to crank out tons more ammo than normally. 7 day workweeks will do this to people and machines if both don't get "proper maintenance" (time to recharge batteries for people and time to keep machines in proper adjustment).

When I had a casehead separation in my Glock 23 about five years ago, Federal sent me four 20-round boxes of ammo.

Was the gun OK?

I think QC went to hell when the wars started and they just needed to crank out tons more ammo than normally. 7 day workweeks will do this to people and machines if both don't get "proper maintenance" (time to recharge batteries for people and time to keep machines in proper adjustment).

I think the wars started that issue, "2009 the year of panic" (as wolf223 aptly dubbed it) forced them to ramp up production even more to try to keep up with demand. Winchester lost some contracts with LE agencies when they shipped them bum lots of duty ammo, too.

Was the gun OK?

Actually yes. It was an ammo failure which Federal quickly owned up to. Seems that the very early 180 gr .40 loads had (IIRC) thin walls which did not provide adequate support for the pressures encountered.

I had an issue with Wolf pistol ammo and they mailed me two boxes of ammo.

I suspect that Winchester will either mail D a full box of ammo or a coupon for same to be used at his favorite store.

I have a single round of Wolf .223 (old stock) with an inverted primer to notify them about when I have some spare time. I expect that Wolf will probably ship me a full box of ammo and a picture will probably suffice from my end (since mailing ammo is a PITA and UPS is more expensive than the box of ammo).

+1 on Wolf - had a problem with a case of .45 years ago that wouldn't extract from a 1911 - they sent a brand new case, no questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom