Problems with Winchester White box 9mm NEW UPDATE POST #58

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
I've been buying six 100 round boxes at my local Wal-Mart every time I head in there. I go through a lot so I am always buying weekly. Up until recently I haven't had anything but good things to say about the WWB ammo. It's always run perfectly and is very accurate.

wwb.jpg

Two weeks ago I started getting failure to feeds in my Springfield XDm. Each time I noticed the round looked like this. The case has been pushed in when the bullet was seated during the processing. I noticed more of them in my ammo can yesterday, three more of the below.

wwb2.jpg

wwb3.jpg

This one takes the cake... How these are being allowed to be boxed is beyond me. If you shoot this ammo keep an eye on it. [thinking]

wwb4.jpg

wwb5.jpg

wwb6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like their machine went off the rails.

I'd call up Winchester with lot numbers, if you can. They will probably send you some free ammo.

-Mike

The ARFCOM ammunition board had a very similar thread about Wolf 9mm ammo. Similar defects. Make sure to send pics and lot numbers to Wallyworld and Winchester. You might get some cupons/rebates.

B

Yikes I've been shooting WB in 45acp with no issues but will be looking now! Those must have been loaded after lunch????

Thanks for the pics, keep us posted if you contact Winchester and their response. I'll definitely pay closer attention to cartridges pulled from the box.

I wonder if this was a 'Friday' or 'Monday' box.

I had a WWB 9mm that didn't have a primer hole. I was breaking in a Sig and was running through a second box when it happened. It jammed the gun up solid. Nothing says 'WTF' more than breaking in a new gun and something like that happens. I was able to clear it, but it wasn't fun, not knowing if the round in the chamber was live or not.

Thanks for the heads up. I try to buy the Federal at Wally world because it's cheaper(9.47 vs. 13.47 per 50, 23.47 per 100) but when they don't have any witch is often I go with the white box. I've never had any trouble but will keep my eye's out from now on!!

Thanks for the heads up. I try to buy the Federal at Wally world because it's cheaper(9.47 vs. 13.47 per 50, 23.47 per 100) but when they don't have any witch is often I go with the white box. I've never had any trouble but will keep my eye's out from now on!!

Watch your Federal as well...There's a thread about that stuff here too and I have seen Federal refuse to fire after getting wet in the rain.... Looks like all the ammo manufacturers playing catch-up after the ammo shortage may be letting QC slip...

Crap, I've a ton of this stuff. I'll have to look carefully. Lately my Wally's has been selling Federal 50 packs for about a buck and a half cheaper than WWB so I've been buying up that when I see it.

EDIT

Double crap. Looks like I'll have to be careful with both.

Glad you found them now and not at some critical time.

Things like this is why I don't let inexperienced people load my mags.

I've had a few of those over the years which is why I inspect and guage all my ammo before putting it in a can.

Yes, it can be tedious but I don't want to find one like those in the middle of a mag of an open bolt subgun running 800+ rpm.

I had some of these quality issues with Federal and Winchester ammo. Winchester sent me a gift card to buy replacement ammo. Federal sent me a free box of 20 (.223) for the 3 bad rounds I had. Wasn't expecting anything other than a free hat or something.

derek,

if you don't mind posting the lot numbers, please do.

i'll have to go through my stuff eventually. yay. [sad2]

Just an update. I was contacted by Winchester and they asked for the rounds so they could inspect them to make sure they identify and correct the issue. They are picking them up and sending me more ammo. [grin]

Pretty good customer service.

I just had a problem with WWB 9mm. I went to MFLR today to put some rounds through the new Kahr PM9. I brought 2 boxes (100 rounds each). The first box was flawless. I was almost through the 2nd box when I put in a full magazine released the slide, took aim, pulled the trigger and nothing. Not a pop, not a bang, nothing. I racked the slide and out came an empty casing. So I locked the slide back and dropped the magazine. I could not see light through the barrel, so I decided to field strip the gun. Sure enough a squib was jammed in the barrel. I didn't have anything with me that I could use to get it out. I asked one of the RO's at the range and he took my barrel and came back a short while later with the squib and my barrel. Of course he said it was good that I was smart enough that I didn't try and fire another round through it. I put the gun back together and the rest of the rounds fired without a problem. What really sucks is that I meant to grab the squib, but I cleaned up and left only to realize that I left it sitting on the bench.

It was only one failure out of 200, but could have been a huge issue if it wasn't cleared properly. I'm not looking for anything from Winchester, but let this be another warning to everyone out there. Don't trust that the factory loaded rounds will always be 100%.

Huh. I have a fuzzy memory of coming across a round like this while at the range, but I'm pretty sure I just threw it to the side and thought nothing of it. I pay pretty close attention to my ammo anyway, but this'll just motivate me to be more observant.

Watch your Federal as well...There's a thread about that stuff here too and I have seen Federal refuse to fire after getting wet in the rain....

Yup.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...mm-ammo-warning.-Anyone-else-have-this-happen

Looks like all the ammo manufacturers playing catch-up after the ammo shortage may be letting QC slip...

That's my guess. Quantity became more important than quality in 2009.

Hi Derek,
One cure for this problem might be to visit my company's website: www.appalachianammo.com.
A few months ago I ran into a fella at Cabelas' Scarborough Store and he told me he wished he could find 9MM in lead for the indoor ranges. I thought, "Hmmmmm....".

I can reload for you as it sounds like you have plenty of spent casings- or we can offer you a remanufactured 9MM (.356 dia.) 125 gr LRN. Glock does not recommend using lead bullets in their guns and for that reason- neither do we. However, we tested our cartridges in a Beretta 92F Military Model and a Taurus 24/7. We found our bullets to be very accurate and with a velocity averageing 1147 fps.

We don't use the high speed automated presses and unfortunately cannot produce a cheap FMJ in sufficient quantity that allows us to be profitable.
OTOH, ammo doesn't go out our door looking like the pictures you have put up. We believe our ammo is more accurate than WWB and at 15.99 per 50, still allows for an affordable and positive experience at the range.

The webstore shows what cartridges we have available. We regret that we can not sell or ship to Mass.
We would welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Jeff Holt- President- Appalachian Ammunition, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom