Problem with my Glock

The shop I purchased from was CG in stoneham. I went to FS for a second opinion this morning before going back to CG. Now with the new mags, I could not pull the slide back. FS is not FOS.

After my trip to FS with all the stock stuff, I went directly to CG.

After trying 2 other new mags, the gave me a older mag, and I still have the problem with it being tough to seat and not being able to pull the slide back.

So please don't trash FS because even with an older mag, it's still having the same problems

Okay FS isn't full of it, so you just didn't post important detailed information is all [grin]

I still think that there is nothing wrong with the gun though...

Last edited:
my personal experience with Glocks is that you can NOT go " plus one " ......

so, you can:

a. carry 10 rounds with cripple mags

*or*

b. get pre-ban mags for it and carry 15 rounds

+1 on Glocks is a PITA, and you might actually dent the case trying to do so. I know i did.

unlike the XD, 1911 or M&P, there is very little "play" left in the mags.... both fully metal and non-fully metal lined mags (for me anyway)

This issue would be completely unacceptable to me. When I buy a Sig that is 10+1, it is 10+1....nothing else. You shouldn't claim the gun can hold 10 in the clip and then say....well, it works better with 9. Sorry if I am offending Glock people, but stories like this convince me I was right to pass on them.

A good friend of mine here has an older Sig P220 that doesn't quite work right with 8+1 , does that count? [laugh]

Yes, pass on a brand because of a problem mostly caused by legislative fiat. [thinking] The problem with cripplemags is that they were invented to fix a "problem" that was not technical in nature. There are lots of cripplemags with issues. Glock's are hard to load and seat ( especially at first) and HKs have basepads that break off if they hit the ground because the basepad design is all different.

Sig makes 10 round cripplemags with gay plastic bases on them that feel funny. Rounds RATTLE in the mag when the mag is fully loaded to 10 rounds.

There is no way to make a cripplemag for a double stack handgun without having a side effect of some sort. Part of the problem lies in the fact that most manufacturers had to make sure the mag would NEVER accept an 11th round. This meant that they couldn't set the mag up to "take 11 if you push really hard" and make 10 the normal state. They had to set it up so 10 was the absolute limit. This means compromises had to be made in terms of free space in the mag. Of course, a lot of this varies from manufacturer.

-Mike

A good friend of mine here has an older Sig P220 that doesn't quite work right with 8+1 , does that count? [laugh]

Yes, pass on a brand because of a problem mostly caused by legislative fiat. [thinking] The problem with cripplemags is that they were invented to fix a "problem" that was not technical in nature. There are lots of cripplemags with issues. Glock's are hard to load and seat ( especially at first) and HKs have basepads that break off if they hit the ground because the basepad design is all different.

Sig makes 10 round cripplemags with gay plastic bases on them that feel funny. Rounds RATTLE in the mag when the mag is fully loaded to 10 rounds.

There is no way to make a cripplemag for a double stack handgun without having a side effect of some sort. Part of the problem lies in the fact that most manufacturers had to make sure the mag would NEVER accept an 11th round. This meant that they couldn't set the mag up to "take 11 if you push really hard" and make 10 the normal state. They had to set it up so 10 was the absolute limit. This means compromises had to be made in terms of free space in the mag. Of course, a lot of this varies from manufacturer.

-Mike

My Sig P220 is just fine, never an issue. My Sig P229 does not rattle a bit.

This thread cracks me up... honeslty. Yeah- sure Glock makes shitty guns.. matter of fact they make tens and tens of thousands of them. Oh yeah- and sure Glocks are the only ones that do this.. yeah. There are some great posts here by some knowlegeable people but some of you guys- come on! Most 10 rounders are REAL tight when new- this is so manufacturers that make low crap mags in the crumby states don't sued if somehow someone was able to jam/force 11 in the mag.

Let the springs settle in, give it time, relax and all will be good soon. If by chance there is something wrong with the gun... Glock with fix it.

My Sig P220 is just fine, never an issue.

I didn't say all P220s would have a problem. Mine doesn't. My post was merely to indicate that "Yes, kids, this can happen on something other than a Glock."

My Sig P229 does not rattle a bit.

Load the mag up to 10 rounds. Insert it in the gun with the slide closed. Shake the gun, you'll probably hear the cartridges rattling around in there, depending on what caliber it is. Doesn't really affect function, but it's still annoying.

-Mike

Last edited:
Can't help with your problem, but it reminds me of the stories/rumors floating around during the 94 AWB/mag ban that manufacturers deliberately made their 10 round "crippled" mags on the tight side as a CYA move in case some enterprising ATF agent was able to force one extra round in the mag resulting in a 'got'cha'.

Is that the case here? I doubt it, but you never know.

Glock KABOOM animated gif in 5....4.....3......2......

We have to put this whole kaboom issue to rest here.
Ive' ben around, shot & witnessed 100's of thousands of rounds cycled through Glocks in my time. Never once have I seen a Glock blow up.
Sure it's happened & we've all seen the pictures but it's happened to all handgun models. Glock just happens to be the scapegoat for all (plastic) gun haters.
Once I saw a 1911 slide completely break in half where the ejection port is cut. The front half flew 20' down the range. Iv'e seen barrels & cylinders blown out & all kinds of crazy things.
Glocks have unsupported chambers, more than most. This is for RELIABILITY. That is why 80%+ of LE uses it.
Now you think there's no chance someone may have handloaded something too hot? What do you think is going to happen on an unsupported chamber?
If you don't like it you can get an aftermarket barrel. Shoot lead as well.
There made to work, period.

Ive' ben around, shot & witnessed 100's of thousands of rounds cycled through Glocks in my time. Never once have I seen a Glock blow up.
Sure it's happened & we've all seen the pictures but it's happened to all handgun models. Glock just happens to be the scapegoat for all (plastic) gun haters.
Once I saw a 1911 slide completely break in half where the ejection port is cut. The front half flew 20' down the range. Iv'e seen barrels & cylinders blown out & all kinds of crazy things.
Glocks have unsupported chambers, more than most. This is for RELIABILITY. That is why 80%+ of LE uses it.
Now you think there's no chance someone may have handloaded something too hot? What do you think is going to happen on an unsupported chamber?

I've seen a Glock blow up. I also see a lot of them jam [devil]
LE use them because they're don't have enough training to use guns with safeties.

It was a joke, click on the smiley in my sig.

LE use them because they're don't have enough training to use guns with safeties.

Hoot.JPG

[rofl]

[laugh2]

Gotta luv a glock. LOL [puke]
Sell it and buy an H&K [smile]

Would never sell the Glocks but I'd love to if they were Ma. compliant & not insanely priced. Same with 1911's.
You have to keep in mind. Lots of people here are limitted by the AG.

Last edited:
I have a Glock 22 police refurb (not Detroit) and it came with high cap pre ban mags. Never have had a problem with it or any of the 5 mags it came with. I have other 10 round cripple mags for other guns that have similar behavior to what you are describing....most notably a Beretta Cheetah in .380 Auto. Solution is the same as has been discussed here. A little patience with the break in period for the retroed hamstrung mags is all thats needed here. The original designs were for more that 10 rounds so a re-engineering for the magic 10 would likely cause some issues. I will say I have some MecGar 10 round cripple mags for a 92FS that worked 100% fine from the day I got them yet the 10 rd Beretta mags that came with the gun needed some break in. Thread reminds me of the Colt "20" rd magazines for the M-16s back around 1970 or so....you could only put 18 rounds in the mag else they'd jam up something awful - major suckage if someone is shooting at you.

Last edited:
Frankly: I am surprised that the salesman at FS said it was "not a good thing", when in reality it is completely normal. The "ban-compliant" 10 round mags have barely enough tolerences to allow ten rounds in the magazine and no more, that being said, it is common and NORMAL with ALL Glocks with FULL magazines to be a pain to seat fully with the slide closed/forward. Also because of the pressure of the full magazine pushing up in the slide assembly, specifially the "stripper rail" when the slide is forward, it makes it extemely difficult to rack the slide with a topped off magazine.

Call Glock on Monday morning and you'll speak to a live person within seconds that will confirm that it is common with Glock handguns and full magazines.

Sorry, that's not true. In my experience Glocks have no problem seating a full mag. Admittedly I've never dealt with the G22, but it's certainly not a general issue with all Glocks.

It may be that the new mag isn't broken in yet and the last round is getting jammed up.

I had the same problem with my G21 mags. I got a UPLULA speed loader, let the mag sit in the safe fully loaded for about a week and that seemed to break it in nicely. YMMV.

Ditto with my G27, which was an FS purchase (dealt with Jim, which was a wonderful experience, especially for a newbie). Former Delaware detective's backup if I remember correctly. It too was happier with 9 but "relaxed" fairly quickly. If you don't have a speed loader you can still start with 8 or 9 and leave it "full", then you should be able to move up to 10 within a week or two. Eventually you should be able to fill it with 10 even without a loader.

I have a G17 and have never had the problems with seating the mag or racking the slide. Last year and again just recently I bought 2 new 10rd mags. And, although they are very tight when trying to load the full 10 rounds, the springs will loosen and break in very quickly.

However, not being able to rack the slide, does not seem normal, and to me would be unacceptable. You mentioned that you tried other Mags, and had the same problem, were these other mags "new" 10 rounders or used?

Go up to glock talk forum and look around and see if this is common with your model. http://glocktalk.com/forums/

I bought one of those unissued DPD Glock 22's as well. It came with two new 10 round magazines and I have not experienced any issues with it. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Sorry, that's not true. In my experience Glocks have no problem seating a full mag. Admittedly I've never dealt with the G22, but it's certainly not a general issue with all Glocks.

Sorry, I should have been more specific; Glocks with full brand new magazines are typically a pain to seat fully. They can be done, and what one person feels is a "pain" to seat, another person will think it is no big deal.

I have a G17 and have never had the problems with seating the mag or racking the slide. Last year and again just recently I bought 2 new 10rd mags. And, although they are very tight when trying to load the full 10 rounds, the springs will loosen and break in very quickly.

However, not being able to rack the slide, does not seem normal, and to me would be unacceptable. You mentioned that you tried other Mags, and had the same problem, were these other mags "new" 10 rounders or used?

Go up to glock talk forum and look around and see if this is common with your model. http://glocktalk.com/forums/

I think what people are not focusing enough on, is that I can't chamber a round if I cram the mag in and try to rack it.
Could it be that since the mags are new, that the first round sits too high and is blocking normal slide operation?

Like I said, I'll prolly know by the time the Marlboro show comes around. If not, hell, I could just go to the Glock booth if they have one.

Also, I will try searching the glocktalk forums today

I think what people are not focusing enough on, is that I can't chamber a round if I cram the mag in and try to rack it.
Could it be that since the mags are new, that the first round sits too high and is blocking normal slide operation?

Like I said, I'll prolly know by the time the Marlboro show comes around. If not, hell, I could just go to the Glock booth if they have one.

Also, I will try searching the glocktalk forums today

Have you tried a regular conical shaped bullet? I know you mentioned before that you were using the flatheads. The tightness of the magazine and the bullet could be causing the issue.

I believe the issue is that the first round in the the full mag, is interfering with the slide being pulled back. So in a week or so according to alot of knowledgeable folks on here, my problem will go the way of alot of other minor noob gun problems.
My experience with other Glocks have been when they 1. belong to my relatives. 2. were broken in LONG before I got to shoot them....so even though I have been quite alarmed about it, it appears to be more normal.

Especially since if the slide is locked back, and I insert the mag, it goes in with the "right" amount of effort and will convinvingly chamber a round when the slide release is depressed.

I believe the issue is that the first round in the the full mag, is interfering with the slide being pulled back. So in a week or so according to alot of knowledgeable folks on here, my problem will go the way of alot of other minor noob gun problems.
My experience with other Glocks have been when they 1. belong to my relatives. 2. were broken in LONG before I got to shoot them....so even though I have been quite alarmed about it, it appears to be more normal.

Especially since if the slide is locked back, and I insert the mag, it goes in with the "right" amount of effort and will convinvingly chamber a round when the slide release is depressed.

I agree, but the choice of bullet could be amplifying the issue.

Back
Top Bottom