Problem with my Glock

I bought an Unissued Police Detroit Police Department Glock 22 yesterday.

There are 2 very important issues I'm having.
The problem I'm having is that when either magazine is full (10 rds) they are extremely stubborn to seat. Not being a pansy about it, but I literally have to slam my hand on the bottom of the mag to get it to seat. Even then, it barely seems to engage the mag catch. Brought it back today and tried several other mags, with no luck.

Which brings me to the more troubling issue:
After I "force" the mag to seat, I cannot chamber a round by pulling back on the slide. It only allows a 1/2 pull back on the slide and it stops.

MORE INFO:
When I have the slide locked back and I insert a full mag, it will seat with the correct amount of effort and also chambers a round no problem when I depress the slide release.
But if the slide is closed (or forward) I cannot seem to be able to insert a full mag without applying more pressure than thould be necessary AND once it is seated, WILL NOT chamber a round.

Jim at FS was out for the weekend, but Carl agreed that this was not a good thing. So I took it back to the shop I purchased from and didn't have any luck.

Is this gonna have to be a "email Glock" situation?

Those 10 round mags can be finicky when loaded to 10. Try loading 1 less and see what happens. It sounds like the top round is rubbing against the slide.

You can also check to make sure the top round sits at the appropriate angle. When the plastic mags get old the feed lips can put the top round in an awkward position.

As always, check to make sure they're the correct caliber mag--40 should be stamped right on it.

Frankly: I am surprised that the salesman at FS said it was "not a good thing", when in reality it is completely normal. The "ban-compliant" 10 round mags have barely enough tolerences to allow ten rounds in the magazine and no more, that being said, it is common and NORMAL with ALL Glocks with FULL magazines to be a pain to seat fully with the slide closed/forward. Also because of the pressure of the full magazine pushing up in the slide assembly, specifially the "stripper rail" when the slide is forward, it makes it extemely difficult to rack the slide with a topped off magazine.

Call Glock on Monday morning and you'll speak to a live person within seconds that will confirm that it is common with Glock handguns and full magazines.

It may be that the new mag isn't broken in yet and the last round is getting jammed up.

I had the same problem with my G21 mags. I got a UPLULA speed loader, let the mag sit in the safe fully loaded for about a week and that seemed to break it in nicely. YMMV.

Call Glock on Monday morning and you'll speak to a live person within seconds that will confirm that it is common with Glock handguns and full magazines.

At least they confirm their products are junk... that could cost you your life if you were in a serious situation. Slam a mag home, think it's in, then go to rack the slide and the mag falls out...

The ten round mags suck but the usually break in after some use. Load the mags with ten rounds and let them sit intil the springs lose some of their tension. Until then, load nine instead of ten rounds.

I agree completely. In all reality it's really not a big problem. Just load one less or use high caps if your concerned about capacity.
The only thing I can think of (if you tried other mags) is maby your ejector is out of spec, Needs to be tweaked or replaced. cause the case rests agenst it. This could explain the difficulty your having with insertion.
Also check the bottom of the grip where it meets the magazine base pad.

Last edited:
At least they confirm their products are junk... that could cost you your life if you were in a serious situation. Slam a mag home, think it's in, then go to rack the slide and the mag falls out...

if my gun is a self defense gun, it is only ever unloaded for cleaning, so there is zero chance of that happening.

Those 10 round mags can be finicky when loaded to 10. Try loading 1 less and see what happens. It sounds like the top round is rubbing against the slide.

You can also check to make sure the top round sits at the appropriate angle. When the plastic mags get old the feed lips can put the top round in an awkward position.

As always, check to make sure they're the correct caliber mag--40 should be stamped right on it.

357sig mags will work, too.

It may be that the new mag isn't broken in yet and the last round is getting jammed up.

I had the same problem with my G21 mags. I got a UPLULA speed loader, let the mag sit in the safe fully loaded for about a week and that seemed to break it in nicely. YMMV.

That's what I had to do with my G22 mags. The UPLULA speed loader, greatest invention since the M1 Garand.

Frankly: I am surprised that the salesman at FS said it was "not a good thing", when in reality it is completely normal. The "ban-compliant" 10 round mags have barely enough tolerences to allow ten rounds in the magazine and no more, that being said, it is common and NORMAL with ALL Glocks with FULL magazines to be a pain to seat fully with the slide closed/forward. Also because of the pressure of the full magazine pushing up in the slide assembly, specifially the "stripper rail" when the slide is forward, it makes it extemely difficult to rack the slide with a topped off magazine.

You don't think that after seating a mag, and not being able to pull back the slide isn't a problem? If it's a 10 rd mag, it should fit and function with 10. I understand the springs in the mag are very stiff, so that is why I have both loaded right now, hopefully getting a little loose.
However, I would expect a gun that is designed to hold 10 to be able to cycle in a normal function.

I had someone at the shop from which I purchased the gun, say "just load 9 then." That is definitely not the answer I want to hear. The only way I'd do that was if it was a 9-rd mag!

I agree completely. In all reality it's really not a big problem. Just load one less or use high caps if your concerned about capacity.
The only thing I can think of (if you tried other mags) is maby your ejector is out of spec, Needs to be tweaked or replaced. cause the case rests agenst it. This could explain the difficulty your having with insertion.
Also check the bottom of the grip where it meets the magazine base pad.

Speaking of ejectors, my 22 came from the factory with the wrong one. A friend was checking the pistol out and discovered the mistake. The 22 had a .45 ejector installed. The gun worked OK but this could be a potential source of problems.

You don't think that after seating a mag, and not being able to pull back the slide isn't a problem? If it's a 10 rd mag, it should fit and function with 10. I understand the springs in the mag are very stiff, so that is why I have both loaded right now, hopefully getting a little loose.
However, I would expect a gun that is designed to hold 10 to be able to cycle in a normal function.

I had someone at the shop from which I purchased the gun, say "just load 9 then." That is definitely not the answer I want to hear. The only way I'd do that was if it was a 9-rd mag!

Is it a new magazine? You never answered that question.

New magazines WILL be tough to load to max capacity, especially 10RD GLOCK MAGS. There is nothing wrong with the gun and Four Seasons is full of shit if they tell you otherwise. Leave the mags loaded with 10 rounds for a few days or you can take a speed loader and continually load the 10th round in and out until the spring breaks in. There's two DPD G22s at my shop still and I'll go and check those today when I stop by and see if the same problem occurs.

Is this your first Glock?

No way, I would not advise loading "one less round" to fix an issue. What others have stated is correct, the mags need to break it. The slide racking difficult ona full magazine that is new is a common thing with glocks until that mag gets broken in a little.

When I get a brand new glock (or new mags) I top them off, then watch tv or a movie and hold them in my hands pushing down on the rounds to make them less tight. Kind of like those hand curler thingys. It works.

Normal, But you realley dont want to load that way.Pull the slide back insert the full mag ,holster the gun,remove mag and top offthe mag. Jim

Normal, But you realley dont want to load that way.Pull the slide back insert the full mag ,holster the gun,remove mag and top offthe mag. Jim

Exactly. I didn't even bring up that point. It isn't the best practice with any semi-auto handgun to load a full magazine in the mag well, and rack the slide back to chamber the first round. And nt just for Glocks, but it is difficult with MOST semi-autos in this manner.

The shop I purchased from was CG in stoneham. I went to FS for a second opinion this morning before going back to CG. Now with the new mags, I could not pull the slide back. FS is not FOS.

After my trip to FS with all the stock stuff, I went directly to CG.

After trying 2 other new mags, the gave me a older mag, and I still have the problem with it being tough to seat and not being able to pull the slide back.

So please don't trash FS because even with an older mag, it's still having the same problems

Great, now that older mag has a tear:
If looking at the mag with the bullet facing you, just below where the mag starts, the plastic is torn and juts out a little bit, as if it's getting caught on something...

Great, now that older mag has a tear:
If looking at the mag with the bullet facing you, just below where the mag starts, the plastic is torn and juts out a little bit, as if it's getting caught on something...

Believe it or not, that is normal too, and is OK.

The issues you are bringing up were asked about and addressed at my Glock Armorer's training, and the Glock Rep, and Armorer Instructor is where I am getting my info and passing it along to you.

When I said before to call Glock on Monday, it wasn't a smart-ass remark, but an encouraging one so you can go to the source of the firearm manufacturer, and get a direct answer. [grin]

Also, there is much knowledge from Glock-lifers on "glocktalk.com", so check those boards out and see what they say.

I have found this issue with every design I have (high cap double stack). Most recently with my XDM. Very difficult to load last round, difficult to seat with slide forward. It does get better.

Believe me, I took it as good advice. I had already planned on e-mailing them, but upon recommendation of calling them, I think it'd be easier/quicker to explain on the phone.

I appreciate everyone's input on this matter.
I just got back from another trip to CG, and they replaced that "torn" mag. It would get stuck when halfway in the frame and wouldn't budge. They switched it out for another new mag.
CG has been great. Same goes for FS.
In the meantime, both mags are fully loaded and will be in "time-out" until this all gets sorted out.
Now I must give Glock a call.

Anybody got Gaston's cell? [smile]

Big mike ,I was at the shotshow this weekend and was not at FS on Fri but the advice you got from sf3pox1 is correct.Jim

"You can do that but only like this when this is like that but only for the first week." Sign me up for this great product.

This issue would be completely unacceptable to me. When I buy a Sig that is 10+1, it is 10+1....nothing else. You shouldn't claim the gun can hold 10 in the clip and then say....well, it works better with 9. Sorry if I am offending Glock people, but stories like this convince me I was right to pass on them.

This issue would be completely unacceptable to me. When I buy a Sig that is 10+1, it is 10+1....nothing else. You shouldn't claim the gun can hold 10 in the clip and then say....well, it works better with 9. Sorry if I am offending Glock people, but stories like this convince me I was right to pass on them.

Believe me! This is just as unacceptable to me. I'm letting my mags "soak" with 10 rounds for atleast a few days. I'm gonna take the advice of sf3pox1 and give Glock a call on my lunch break on Monday.

The ten round mags suck but the usually break in after some use. Load the mags with ten rounds and let them sit intil the springs lose some of their tension. Until then, load nine instead of ten rounds.

This. Especially with cripplemags.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom