• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problem with 9MM reloads

If the brass was first shot through a Glock or other handgun with an unsupported chamber you'll see a bulge in the base of the brass. See if any of the rounds have this bulge.

If so you need to use a full length resizing die to get the bulge out.

I dug out some very old reloads recently, created before I realized there was a problem with unsupported chambers, and sure enough we found a few with the bulge.

I don't reload and my friend that did these passed away. If someone could redo them for me, I would pay to have them fixed if it would be cost effective.
If you pull each bullet out, I dont think you will have trouble finding someone to reload the primed cases.

Pulling the bullets is the part that s*cks major a**.

I would first ask someone to run 5 or 6 of the rounds that didn't chamber through a crimp die and see if that fixes it. That would be the easiest thing to rule out.

Can you post a picture of the ammo?

Why wouldn't he be able to seat the bullet?

You think because the brass would be too big?

My guess is he didn't size or didn't crimp correctly.

I mention crimp because it happened to me with a revolver, I didn't crimp enough so some rounds wouldn't fit in the cylinder.
Well yea, un-sized case the bullet will just plop to the bottom or on the charge, no?

Follow EddieCoyle's rule. See post #8 from 2009 in link.

Sorry I didn't read this, didn't mean to sound insensitive. How many rounds did he give you? If its more than a couple hundred its worth setting up a run to
fix them assuming they even cycle the gun right. If its less than that you're better off just pulling them for components.

Reloads from an estate are always a terrible idea..just pull them down At the first sign of trouble

I have some reloads from a friend of mine. He is meticulous about his firearms and ammo. So, I was running some 9mm through my FN 509 and it was not going into battery. Some rds would fire but only 2 or 3 out of 10.
I then tried the same ammo in my G45. I ran 2 mags through (20 rds ) with no problem but when I loaded the 3rd mag, the first round would not go into battery. I could not push the slide forward and ended up taking to my gunsmith to get the round out. Gunsmith and another guy told me they weren't sized properly. I find it odd because my friend is so precise with this stuff. What do I need to do to make this ammo fire properly? Thanks

Happend to me with my Springfield RO 9mm. My Ruger Sr9c ate them no problem, but had to use a lot of force to separate the slide from the frame.

I separated those cartridges and re did my setup, and made sure that I QC'd my brass for length before processing. Didn't find any OOT, but worth the time as a sanity check.

As others have posted, OAL is also important, as is sizing, which I believe is/was part of my issue. That was the main focus when I re-did my setup.

2nd part of MY problem is the match barrel (tighter tolerance), which I plan on doing nothing about- for now 🙄.

I have some reloads from a friend of mine. He is meticulous about his firearms and ammo. So, I was running some 9mm through my FN 509 and it was not going into battery. Some rds would fire but only 2 or 3 out of 10.
I then tried the same ammo in my G45. I ran 2 mags through (20 rds ) with no problem but when I loaded the 3rd mag, the first round would not go into battery. I could not push the slide forward and ended up taking to my gunsmith to get the round out. Gunsmith and another guy told me they weren't sized properly. I find it odd because my friend is so precise with this stuff. What do I need to do to make this ammo fire properly? Thanks
I'm thinking your friend didn't size the cases properly and/or the bullets need to be seated deeper so they don't hit the rifling etc.

It could be a crimp issue but I'm thinking it's the a sizing/OAL issue.

So I was about to pull the trigger on a reload press today for 9MM and 380 until I checked the powder and primer availability. Are people just reloading on old stock ups of this stuff?

So I was about to pull the trigger on a reload press today for 9MM and 380 until I checked the powder and primer availability. Are people just reloading on old stock ups of this stuff?

Some are.

There's been at least three ammo/ component shortages in the past several years, along with all the bullshit about serializing ammo. When these two things ( and others ) occur, it tends to motivate those with open eyes to prepare for the next shortage.
Your timing ( if you are just entering the world of guns ) is unfortunate. If you've been in the gun world for any length of time over a few years, you've simply not been paying attention. Both result in a personal shortage of ammo and higher prices for what is available.

Are people just reloading on old stock ups of this stuff?

Yes and no.
Some were sittin on 20-30 bricks of primers this time last year.
You can still get primers now, but at (at least) double the cost. Its like a scavenger hunt right now.
Powders still available. Bullets are readily available or 12-16 week backorder depending on what you want.
Presses might be available, or with a short back order. Dies...........depends. I heard mumblings about a carbide shortage. Plenty of used stuff on the interwebs for retarded prices. I managed to get some stuff out of the classifieds here at a really fair price.

Powder comes in batches and usually lasts a few days, how long it lasts depends on popularity. I use mostly N320, I noticed that stays in stock for a few days, but N320 is probably one of the most expensive powders. Not a huge difference over thousands of rounds, but gun owners tend to be skinflints. All you need is 4 or 8lbs and you will reload thousands of 9mm. Primers are the real problem.

Primers - you are f*cked. It would be easier to go prospecting for gold.

Pick up a case gauge from Amazon and just run through checking them, find out how many are in-spec.
However that won’t tell you if they are under or over powdered.

If you reload yourself pull the components and redo.

Meticulous does not always mean correct

since your already shooting them tou might as well run them for drills clearing jams.
Its a common issue when shooting someone elses reloads , if he is/was truly meticulous they might be fine tuned to a specific gun.
Also theres a common “rule”
Dont shoot other peoples reloads

SAAMI spec is one thing

What is done wrt 9mm in real life is highly variable wrt OAL

Pretty much nothing is loaded to SAAMI spec OAL

Grab some factory FMJ and measure it......highly variable......a lot of 115gr is loaded to ~1.150

For a person having trouble with feed issues.....yes, there are 10 plus places you can look.....but an easy one is to try reducing OAL a smidge....like 1.150 to 1.14, 1.13 or even 1.120 and see if you get a different result
Also we need to understand what and why SAAMI has the spec
Is the COL is max I would gander thats so your rounds fit in the magazine and possible not jam in the rifling.
This is also why bullet manufactures have their own data

SAAMI spec is one thing

Grab some factory FMJ and measure it......highly variable......a lot of 115gr is loaded to ~1.150

For a person having trouble with feed issues.....yes, there are 10 plus places you can look.....but an easy one is to try reducing OAL a smidge....like 1.150 to 1.14, 1.13 or even 1.120 and see if you get a different result
SAAMI OAL is very wide range (0.169" for 9mm) that is for fit into a magazine and feeding.

Different bullets profiles will engage the rifling at different OAL - If you are loading for multiple guns then a minium size check gauge will keep you safe but will limit the bullet profiles and loadings that you can use.

Larry currently has small pistol primers in stock. Limit of 1000 which comes out to about $100 shipped

Pull the components, resize without decapping pin (to save primers), check OAL, trim if necessary, add powder, add bullet, taper crimp, and shoot.
I had this problem on a bunch of 45's I did. Too much bell on the mouth. I just ran the whole cartridge back through my sizing die less decapper. I could feel the bump over the mouth. They all chambered fine after that.

A good case gauge eliminates 99% of future problems.
View attachment 474987
It will help but does nothing to tell if your bullet seating depth or bullet profile will feed in your pistol.
I sold all my 9mm pistols except a p38
I load basic NATO spec ammo for that.
My 1911s seem to not care what I load into the cases. It will chamber everyrhing I load even wad cutters ?

Meticulous does not always mean correct

since your already shooting them tou might as well run them for drills clearing jams.
Its a common issue when shooting someone elses reloads , if he is/was truly meticulous they might be fine tuned to a specific gun.
Also theres a common “rule”
Dont shoot other peoples reloads
I'm thinking they were loaded for his Hi Power

All the posts are informative which is great, thank you. So, can these rounds be corrected and how much time would be involved and lastly, who would be willing to do it? Paid or trade some of the ammo for the time involved of course.

Thanks AL

As Far as powder and primer goes just place your order...For whatever the maximum hazmat shipping is and wait...This isnt an Armageddon you just need to have stuff on hand. And reevaluate your inventory before elections...Just figure some wack jobs going to go into a hospital nursery and shoot a bunch of babies. It’s only a matter of time

Without the min/max as start/end reference points the 0.169 is meaningless
That's why I said range in response to your post where you were calling out the "highly variable wrt OAL" and then mentioned a bunch of lengths that fall within the OAL range.

I think your comment "Pretty much nothing is loaded to SAAMI spec OAL" was probably meant as MAX OAL (1.169")
The spec as written assumes a specific bullet profile but doesn't call out the parameters for that profile and that is what is the crux of the discussion. IF bullet manufacturers published the length behind the tip where the 2 degree taper lead would contact that profile then the max OAL for that bullet would be easy to calculate.

SAAMI spec is one thing

All the posts are informative which is great, thank you. So, can these rounds be corrected and how much time would be involved and lastly, who would be willing to do it? Paid or trade some of the ammo for the time involved of course.

Thanks AL
I think the answer is maybe. As others have also said....... I'd grab a handful and try case gauging them as well as checking OAL. If the OAL length is consistent but won't case gauge I'd run thru a lee factory crimp die.

Back
Top Bottom