Problem with 9MM reloads

I have some reloads from a friend of mine. He is meticulous about his firearms and ammo. So, I was running some 9mm through my FN 509 and it was not going into battery. Some rds would fire but only 2 or 3 out of 10.
I then tried the same ammo in my G45. I ran 2 mags through (20 rds ) with no problem but when I loaded the 3rd mag, the first round would not go into battery. I could not push the slide forward and ended up taking to my gunsmith to get the round out. Gunsmith and another guy told me they weren't sized properly. I find it odd because my friend is so precise with this stuff. What do I need to do to make this ammo fire properly? Thanks

I would think......if the cases were not sized he wouldn't be able to seat a bullet to begin with. I only ask about the brass because thickness varies among manufacturers or maybe wrong diameter bullet?

Pull the components, resize without decapping pin (to save primers), check OAL, trim if necessary, add powder, add bullet, taper crimp, and shoot.

Last edited:
They either weren't crimped right or OAL too long maybe if the bullet ogive is too wide or not tapered enough that pistol might not have enough of a throat to feed them. Glocks tend to be pretty forgiving with that, except for gen 5 barrels they are a little tighter.

I keep seeing videos/posts where folks suggest OAL of 1.180 for the heavier 124gr and 143gr bullets. The SAAMI spec is 1.169. I suspect, your friend set it for 1.180. I did try setting OAL to 1.180 and found that the benefit(softer recoil and tighter grouping) were not as significant at my skill level. That said, I also encountered problems with feeding in my G19 while VP9 worked just fine.

I had some loads with Blue Bullets that would run fine except my P365. Same thing. Some would not go into battery. Run fine in other guns. All went through a case gauge fine. Did a drop test in barrel of P365 and failed. I put more of a crimp on them and no problems since.

It could be your barrel. One of our 9mm guns has a match barrel and it is finicky. It is very sensitive to OAL (I use coneheads). I have to be at an OAL of 1.09 with this particular bullet. The gun is an STI. Now, I have a second STI with a different barrel and it eats everything up to at least an OAL of 1.12 (never tried longer).

I’ve had issues like this and switched to a taper crimp for final crimp and now I can shoot almost anything.

One can buy a lot of factory ammo for the price of one of these...

True, but if 1 shoots enough..It quickly pays for itself. I have the second one not the newer one...You just use the brass till it splits. Basically last forever. And it’s really nice with the rifle rounds...If you don’t roll size you spend a lot more time gauging brass by hand.

And it’s really nice with the rifle rounds...If you don’t roll size you spend a lot more time gauging brass by hand.
wait! hold it! Can you elaborate on this a bit more. I've never heard this and it sounds interesting! Plus I am tired of the lube, size, lube, size, lube, size........

Pull the components, resize without decapping pin (to save primers), check OAL, trim if necessary, add powder, add bullet, taper crimp, and shoot.
I don't reload and my friend that did these passed away. If someone could redo them for me, I would pay to have them fixed if it would be cost effective.

Assuming they arent just under powered...Roll sizing is the only way to go there’s a lot of options for equipment.

View: https://youtu.be/d7voimCzS3A

Taking reloads from a third-party is always questionable

Don't push thru dies do basically the same thing? Granted a lot slower. I have one for 10mm/40 that I don't use anymore since I dumped all my Glocks sans one.

wait! hold it! Can you elaborate on this a bit more. I've never heard this and it sounds interesting! Plus I am tired of the lube, size, lube, size, lube, size........
You still have to do all those steps on top of role sizing. But I need all my cases every time. It’s really only important because I pick up random brass not just my own

Don't push thru dies do basically the same thing? Granted a lot slower. I have one for 10mm/40 that I don't use anymore since I dumped all my Glocks sans one.

Some calibers, yes. But roll sizing is definitely superior

I have some reloads from a friend of mine. He is meticulous about his firearms and ammo. So, I was running some 9mm through my FN 509 and it was not going into battery. Some rds would fire but only 2 or 3 out of 10.
I then tried the same ammo in my G45. I ran 2 mags through (20 rds ) with no problem but when I loaded the 3rd mag, the first round would not go into battery. I could not push the slide forward and ended up taking to my gunsmith to get the round out. Gunsmith and another guy told me they weren't sized properly. I find it odd because my friend is so precise with this stuff. What do I need to do to make this ammo fire properly? Thanks

10 bucks says your friend is one of those people who "doesn't believe in crimping" pistol rounds (maybe crimps barely enough) and makes mouse farts that are like 20% weaker than factory. COAL might be too long as well as a host of other sins. The fact that it doesn't work in a fart gun like a 509 means that he doesn't know how to properly make 9mm.

Run them through a Lee Factory Crimp die.
This, I load 9mm anywhere from 1.11" to 1.15" depending on bullet ogive and I always use a Lee Fact Crimp die. I always check a round or two in a factory gen5 glock barrel to see if I need to seat them shorter. Usually if it will pass the plunk test in a gen5 "marksman" barrel it will shoot in any of my 9mm's.

I don't reload and my friend that did these passed away. If someone could redo them for me, I would pay to have them fixed if it would be cost effective.
I hope it wasn't Fred.
I'd be willing to help you out. I've been busy at work, but I'm sure we could meet up somewhere if you weren't in a big rush.

Sorry I didn't read this, didn't mean to sound insensitive. How many rounds did he give you? If its more than a couple hundred its worth setting up a run to
fix them assuming they even cycle the gun right. If its less than that you're better off just pulling them for components.

I would think......if the cases were not sized he wouldn't be able to seat a bullet to begin with. I only ask about the brass because thickness varies among manufacturers or maybe wrong diameter bullet?
Why wouldn't he be able to seat the bullet?

You think because the brass would be too big?

My guess is he didn't size or didn't crimp correctly.

I mention crimp because it happened to me with a revolver, I didn't crimp enough so some rounds wouldn't fit in the cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom