Problem with 9MM reloads

All the posts are informative which is great, thank you. So, can these rounds be corrected and how much time would be involved and lastly, who would be willing to do it? Paid or trade some of the ammo for the time involved of course.

Thanks AL

Helpful to know where you are, and how many rounds you are looking to sort through... if someone is going to chime in to help you out.

Just my $.02

All the posts are informative which is great, thank you. So, can these rounds be corrected and how much time would be involved and lastly, who would be willing to do it? Paid or trade some of the ammo for the time involved of course.

Thanks AL
Depends on what is wrong
Could be as simple as running them through a Lee factory crimp die
Or they could be engaging the rifling and seating the bullet deeper would spike pressure.

Do you have loaf data for the rounds?

So a 10c per primer, plus powder and then bullets? How much bullets go by now?
Depends if you want lead, coated, plated, or jacketed. For 9mm anywhere from 8-15 cents per bullet. Unless you buy hollow points which will cost more.
Powder isn’t that difficult to find between online vendors and local shops. It’s really just the primers that are a major issue.

I went through over 500 rds. I took the barrel out of my G45 and tried all the rds in it. If the round went in and dropped out, I figured those are good to go. Problem is , there was only 104 that did drop out. There were maybe another 50 or so that were very close. I can't believe my late friend was that inconsistent. That wasn't like him .

I went through over 500 rds. I took the barrel out of my G45 and tried all the rds in it. If the round went in and dropped out, I figured those are good to go. Problem is , there was only 104 that did drop out. There were maybe another 50 or so that were very close.
Please warn me before the next time you take that to the range.
I want to be somewhere else.
rMchd2R.jpg

I went through over 500 rds. I took the barrel out of my G45 and tried all the rds in it. If the round went in and dropped out, I figured those are good to go. Problem is , there was only 104 that did drop out. There were maybe another 50 or so that were very close. I can't believe my late friend was that inconsistent. That wasn't like him .
Yeah so they’re not passing the plunk test.
I’m betting the rounds are loaded too long. Got any calipers to measure them? All random brass headstamps that won’t drop free? Or is it all the same headstamp?

First of all, I have almost all my fingers still, so you can trust me to a certain degree. If you are just dropping them in, and they are not falling out, you might just have to crimp them a tad bit, or remove what's left of the bell. Which is what I had to do for my G45. The chamber was a little smaller than our other glocks.
Did you try turning them in the barrel? If you can't turn them, they are probably too long. Either way, all is not lost. We have the technology to fix the problem. It'll cost you though ;)

I wouldn't say your late friend was inconsistent. His loads were probably very consistent for his gun, he may never had a problem. Not all bullet manufacturers have extremely tight tolerances. It could be some are a little bit longer or thicker. Maybe he bought "seconds". I buy seconds all the time for handgun loads.

Yeah so they’re not passing the plunk test.
I’m betting the rounds are loaded too long. Got any calipers to measure them? All random brass headstamps that won’t drop free? Or is it all the same headstamp?
different head stamps, they are thicker and a hair longer for sure. Like I said, I don't reload and don't know anything about fixing them nor do I have any tools.

I'm not understanding about crimping. If the brass is too big in diameter and too long do you have to take the bullet, powder and primer out of the case?
I talked with the guy that gave me the rounds and he does reload. He's going to look at them.

I'm not understanding about crimping. If the brass is too big in diameter and too long do you have to take the bullet, powder and primer out of the case?
I talked with the guy that gave me the rounds and he does reload. He's going to look at them.
On crimping; the mouth of the case is "belled" or flared a little to accept the bullet. Once the bullet is seated to the proper depth, that bell should be "flattened out". This is when the crimp is done, to flatten out that flaring. If this is not done it may affect the seating of the cartridge.

Last edited:
If you set the crimp on a long case in mixed brass then a short case might not crimp completely.
If you set crimp on a short case the you may buckle a longer case.
Either case you get a round that won't work in a tight chamber. These two cases can be fixed with a Lee FCD if they are jacketed bullets.

If the OAL is too long (bullet engages the rifling) and the load is relatively light then you can send the round back through the seater die and set the bullet back (but not a lot)

Mark a few of the rounds that won't chamber with sharpie then drop them in the barrel and rotate a few turns - The contact marks will give you an idea of what the issue is.

Update
Went over to my neighbor and he measured the rounds and they were in spec although on the maximum side. I brought the G45 barrel with me and he said the bullet was hitting the rifling. So, being next to a vice we decided to push the bullet further into the case. We know that's not the correct way but just for testing. Once we pushed the bullet in, it fit into the barrel the way it supposed to. He recommended trying one round like that not knowing what the power charge is in the round. He recommended that the bullets be pulled out, empty the powder and start again. Sound good?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom