• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pro-Gun people are amazingly friendly to each other

In the past week since I got my LTC I have been to 4 gun shops (bought 3 guns), the range twice, and the Wilmington Gun show.

What I have learned is that the people at these places seem to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. Normally out in public most people are reserved, focused on their own little world in their head at best or rude and obnoxious at worst. Everywhere "gun related" that I go people are chatting each other up, being friendly, and it doesn't matter if you've been a shooter for 50 years or 1 week.

Very cool!

I've never been at a range and, after admiring the pistol or rifle someone was shooting, NOT have them offer me the chance to shoot a few rounds downrange.

There is an camaraderie that exists (maybe as part of being a persecuted minority) that makes gun folks want to share their experiences and their hardware.

And you're right - it's not the usual "city street isolation" we're used to, so it's often surprising.

Enjoy!

To quote Robert A. Heinlein "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" [wink]

The way I see it, we are all in this together. There seems to be a ton of people who have this negative picture of who we are.
Our niceness is a way to combat that.

I have noticed that at the range people are always offering me their firearms and I reciprocate.

Thats why you need to get some of your anti friends down there. Once they see that the majority of us are good people, they become educated.

I bet that at least 90% of the antis are simply uneducated.

Given the rants, neg reps, name calling on NES, horror stories about gun shops (Dowd, Gun Room eat al) and the general bad behavior that one reports from ROs (self appointed and otherwise) from so called Fudd gun clubs, I'd say your range of experience is still somewhat limited. I'd like to believe you OP but I'm not sure if the body of evidence supports your conclusion.

Now tell me son, why do you need an assault rifle when a good shotgun will do the trick? You don't need more than a five round clip anyway, and don't put pre-ban clips in post-ban guns. Better not squeeze off no more than one round a minute there boy you're unsafe [rofl]

Last edited:
I have to agree. At both my clubs, I strike up friendly conversations all the time. More often than not these wind up with us trying each other's guns, etc. One guy even got his AR-10 out of his trunk because "you just gotta try this." (Awesome build, btw.) Let me and my son shoot six rounds each, his ammo. Where else do you encounter that kind of enthusiasm and generous spirit?

Now tell me son, why do you need an assault rifle when a good shotgun will do the trick? You don't need more than a five round clip anyway, and don't put pre-ban clips in post-ban guns. Better not squeeze off no more than one round a minute there boy you're unsafe
just get a double-barrel shotgun...
...go out on the balcony and fire off TWO BLASTS!!!....
..get a shotgun!

Yep, just wait until you go to a shooting match. My (non-shooting) wife was amazed when she attended a few and helped me work them.

You can meet the nicest people in a sand pit on a Sunday. [thumbsup]

I must agree with the OP and I've had my LTC and been shooting for over 20 years now. I've never once had a problem with a person at any ranges or shops that I've gone to and in the last 8 months I've almost had to pay rent to the gun shops because I'm at them so much.

Around 8 months ago was when I found this site and I found it to be entertaining and helpful so I signed up. I kinda kept to myself until about a month ago and boy let me tell you people are in a whole different way when you're not face to face. The comradery goes away quite quickly when nestled away comfortably behind a keyboard.

I've had a couple of discussions on gun related bulletin boards, not only NES, the same basis of discussion which I've had in person with different people a hundred times turned into being personally threatened with physical harm just from standing my ground in a discussion. And it's not only me, I've read so many threads over the last couple of months where people get into huge arguments over the smallest things and yet they want to smash each others heads in. I can't help but to laugh at their mentality, or lack thereof, but it is pathetic and sad to watch two people who probably have so much in common yet they get angry so quick and resort to idle online threats.

These are the two things to look out for:

1) If you see someone blast someone for a) asking a "stupid" question (for the record no question is stupid unless it's already been answered 1,000,000 times (use the search function first)) or b) stating something which is either incorrect or someone perceives as incorrect and then the offending person will make arrogant remarks about how you are wrong and they are right. This is a person to stay away from. Just laugh at them and pay them no mind, they are only looking for attention. Do not give it to them and they will die.

2) Some people are just never wrong. If you try to help someone by kindly, and not in a demeaning way, point out an inaccuracy in someones post and then they blast you because their mommy taught them that whatever they say goes and they themselves are never wrong so therefore it is by default you who are wrong, this is the second type of offending person whom you should steer clear of.

For the most part if you follow those simple rules you should never have a problem with a gun person. We all have common interests and as different as some of us may be we are in so many more ways the same. So have fun, don't let my words discourage you in any way, they are not intended to. I only point out my only encounters which could in any way be considered negative between myself and a fellow gun owner.

Oh and one other thing. Don't forget to move your clocks ahead one hour this Saturday before you go to bed and also it is advised that you change the batteries in your smoke detectors each spring ahead (technically 2AM on March 10th, 2013) and fall back. (2AM on November 3rd, 2013) This has been a public service announcement. ©

In the past week since I got my LTC I have been to 4 gun shops (bought 3 guns), the range twice, and the Wilmington Gun show.

What I have learned is that the people at these places seem to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. Normally out in public most people are reserved, focused on their own little world in their head at best or rude and obnoxious at worst. Everywhere "gun related" that I go people are chatting each other up, being friendly, and it doesn't matter if you've been a shooter for 50 years or 1 week.

Very cool!

I have met great individuals that own guns, and that have been great to deal with. As far as guns shops/vendors, before Sandy Hook happened I would not really agree with you, but since Sandy Hook, I think we have all been forced together a little tighter since we all are wanting the same things (not to be infringed).

Good point! I haven't met a jerk in person at the range or gun shop etc. It's here that we exchange a few dry jokes, but all's good as well. Have run into a few DADT folks here and learned MYOFB. Never ever ask, how many rounds in your clip! In a shoot out, they don't want you to know that.

We're part of an oppressed minority, and must band together against the Evil Majority, and present a common front.

Now, that's not to say that we have no internal disagreements [rofl], but we generally try to be welcoming to new folks.

Like I tell the the new shooters at the Trap field - don't worry about being teased, we never do that to new shooters. If a good shooter has a bad round, though, we're brutal! (Me, to another who dropped his 25th bird: "That really sucks....when it happens to me!"

[laugh]

ive seen your targets....Meh

Exactly, I have the balls to post mine. (ETA- and comments like that are why I'm really self concious doing so.)

My targets are also why I'm extremely polite on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

To quote Robert A. Heinlein "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" [wink]

heh, yup!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom