• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prices, dates, and procedures set for CMP M1911s

"At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow the sale of the 1911/1911A1 pistol."

2021, then. Right? RIGHT?!?!?

The way I think I understand it.... and someone please correct me if I'm wrong

CMP will only ship 1911's to storefront FFL's. In MA, the only way to get it transferred from an FFL is if it's on THE LIST. Clearly, those are not. So, MA is SOL.

However, MA has the law that says stores can transfer Curios & Relics to C&R License holders, but it doesn't take effect until 2021. So there might be a chance 1911's can come to MA via 03 FFL holders. If the law holds up that long.....

Silver lining might be if they're only releasing 8,000 at a time, there will be plenty left in a few years....

"1911s from CMP will be allowed in California because they meet the California definition of Curio and Relic. They will ship to 01, or 02, or 07 FFLs in California. At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow the sale of the 1911/1911A1 pistol. "

There are ways around this bullshit.
Those of us who love milsurps and other old stuff always find a way to say EFF YOU to MA while still remaining 100% legal on all levels. It’s a game.

There are ways around this bullshit.
Those of us who love milsurps and other old stuff always find a way to say EFF YOU to MA while still remaining 100% legal on all levels. It’s a game.
I dont see anyway around this is if you are purchasing from the cmp and you have a C&R in MA. If you have some idea please pm me.

Ok, so if you live in any of the 49 sates other than MA, you can apply for a 1911 from CMP.

If you are an FFL in MA, how can they stop a Fed FFL from buying a 1911 and then selling it out of state?

If you live in any of the 49 free states, you could get a CMP 1911 and then move into MA with it.

This whole thing makes me want to tear out my hair.

I'm on the fence about sending in an application...I probably won't. The prices are actually a little lower than what I expected. To be honest when/if "my number" came up in the lottery and all that was left was rack grades with the "Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition" description for $850, I would likely pass...still on the fence as the lead time would give me a chance to start saving now. As much as I love milsurps, dropping $850 for admitted pitted/rusted/cracked 1911 is not something I think I have the luxury of doing.

As much as I love milsurps, dropping $850 for admitted pitted/rusted/cracked 1911 is not something I think I have the luxury of doing.

Agreed. Not a smart investment especially sight unseen. $500 for such a gun might be acceptable, pretty much only being valuable as a parts gun.

I dont see anyway around this is if you are purchasing from the cmp and you have a C&R in MA. If you have some idea please pm me.
C&R has no play in this CMP makes it clear FFL 01 ,02 or 07 license only and only one pistol per customer who sends in their special CMP 1911 paper work.
there is only one way around this is to have someone in a free state win the cmp 1911 lottery get the pistol and decide they dont like it and to sell it to you.

Aren't these mostly going to be contemporary CMP rearseneled, sand blasted, reparked, and mixmaster parts bin rebuilds?

Seems like it's not much better then a messed and refinished carbines I see on gunraper pawned off as original condition.

I think your better off with a historically period correct rearsenal at those prices. The CMP rack grades should be priced more like a 500 shooter. Seems like greed - aren't they already paid for?

Interesting post on the CMP forums:

I attended a presentation called "Inside the Civilian Marksmanship Program" at the NRA Annual meetings. They presented the pricing and release dates that were posted here yesterday and also showed some pictures of the 1911's and the new vault where they are stored.

Apparently most of the pistols are 1911A1's in "new from rebuild" condition. The pictures showed pistols that were rebuilt and stamped ANAD and the date (late 70's early 80's) in a circular pattern around the right side above the trigger guard.

There are also pictures of a couple cases of pistols that are released from the museum system that looked very interesting. We were told those are anticipated to go to auction.

They also said the 1911's would be "one in a lifetime", not one per year.

Aren't these mostly going to be contemporary CMP rearseneled, sand blasted, reparked, and mixmaster parts bin rebuilds?

Seems like it's not much better then a messed and refinished carbines I see on gunraper pawned off as original condition.

I think your better off with a historically period correct rearsenal at those prices. The CMP rack grades should be priced more like a 500 shooter. Seems like greed - aren't they already paid for?
The guns are given to the cmp by the army. CMP has to pay any delivery or other acquisitions charges what ever those might be.

I believe someone already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what if someone outside of MA legally purchases a 1911 through the CMP and then puts it up for sale and a buyer in MA uses his C&R to purchase? That would be perfectly legal, would it not? Would that not be the same as purchasing any other C&R pistol?

The fact that the stipulation for the sale of these states they need to go through a state FFL for transfer, meaning they’d need to be “on the list”, seems to be the issue.

I believe someone already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what if someone outside of MA legally purchases a 1911 through the CMP and then puts it up for sale and a buyer in MA uses his C&R to purchase? That would be perfectly legal, would it not? Would that not be the same as purchasing any other C&R pistol?

The fact that the stipulation for the sale of these states they need to go through a state FFL for transfer, meaning they’d need to be “on the list”, seems to be the issue.

As long as it’s not a straw purchase.

Just received this response from the CMP:

“According to MA law, pistols sold in that state must go through a "testing" process to be put on the purchase list. Since these pistols were made over 70 years ago and the manufactures are no longer, the state will not allow them. We have dicuss this with numerous people at the AG office and have been told the same thing. We wish we could.”

On a C&R mailing list (remember those? I've been a member of this one for 20 years!), someone today complained about the prices. I replied that if he hates the CMP prices, he'll really howl when he sees the re-sale prices on auction sites.

Back
Top Bottom