Prices, dates, and procedures set for CMP M1911s

As long as it’s not a straw purchase.

How could a C&R straw to another C&R? lmao.

I'd have to do some reading but last I knew 03 FFL holders don't fill out 4473s when moving guns with one
another, so some of the bullshit that otherwise would have applied, probably doesn't. All kinds of things under GCA go away when you have an FFL, particularly if you're the "real buyer" at the end of the
chain.

That said, given the limitations on C&Rs I wouldn't want to be doing it on a regular basis lest being accused of
profit motive.

-Mike

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is after the first lot of 8,000 (?) is sold and people get a chance to examine what they have bought.

Will people generally be happy with the quality of the pistols they get for the price they paid?

Or will they bitch and moan about how they got screwed and then turn around and offer them for sale at even higher prices?

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is after the first lot of 8,000 (?) is sold and people get a chance to examine what they have bought.

Will people generally be happy with the quality of the pistols they get for the price they paid?

Or will they bitch and moan about how they got screwed and then turn around and offer them for sale at even higher prices?
I say D all of they above. One thing I think you will see is parts swap thread on cmp forums for those who want to swap parts around. The really good stuff will be on cmp auction.
Like this
Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

When is the last time you saw an historically period correct USGI 1911 for a grand?? I'd like 2 please!

I don't really follow these but poking around, It looks like there's very slim pickens for any regardless of condition and incorrectness.

I see dealers trying to scoff up the CMP offerings to make a quick buck.

Another thing that's odd is CMP wants non-licensees to provide a copy of a dealers ffl with a paper submission. The majority of dealers won't give out copies of their ffl to peons. There's even those that won't ship a C&R to an 03 and have to send there ffl.

5) a signed copy of the 01, or 02, or 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to. All qualifying documents must be included in your order packet.

Another thing that's odd is CMP wants non-licensees to provide a copy of a dealers ffl with a paper submission. The majority of dealers won't give out copies of their ffl to peons. There's even those that won't ship a C&R to an 03 and have to send there ffl.
im pretty sure cmp is also accepting faxed and emailed copies with the proper customer info attached so they can link it with the order

im pretty sure cmp is also accepting faxed and emailed copies with the proper customer info attached so they can link it with the order

You are correct sir. I missed that
CMP 1911 FFL contact information details:

All 1911's will be shipped to a 01, 02 or 07 Federal Firearms License. Customers MUST provide a signed copy of the 01, 02 or 07 FFL.
  1. CMP 1911 dedicated fax number 256-831-2354 for FFL dealers to fax their FFLs with the customer's name attached.
  2. CMP 1911 dedicated email address [email protected] to send their FFLs with customer's name attached.
  3. CMP 1911 is currently accepting FFL contacts pursuant to FFL requirements.

6. Customer names from complete CMP 1911order form packets will be fed into a computerized Random Number Generator on 5 October 2018. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequential order through the random picking process. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator. The CMP 1911 customers will select their grade of pistol (Service, Field or Rack) from available inventory at the time of order notification. Customers with higher numbers may have fewer grades from which to choose.

When this year's allotment of 1911s is exhausted, the remaining orders will be held in the existing sequence for all future allotments of 1911s. The CMP does not know what future allotments might be.

This sucks for MA residents that want one and waiting for the new legislation to take affect. 3 years of whatever backlog there is. And by then Trump may be gone and the new leftist administration shuts it down.

CMP is trying to make this pretty easy with a complete dedicated 1911 line/system
To bad trump cant give the Army orders to retrieve all lend/lease material and return it all state side and get the cmp all the us surplus they can store.

How about an executive order allowing all citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment rights without state interference?

T

How about an executive order allowing all citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment rights without state interference?

T
We already know his stance on that, states issue.
I wish trump would do a good and just declare the Federal Govern ment do it's job. Protect our boarders and make sure the state's are obeying the Constitution.

Have to think that even outside MA jumping through all the hoops won't be worth it for price/condition of these 1911s. Yes for the forst few months we will see them inflated on gunbroker as people try to flip, but somewhere down the line people won't care anymore and refuse to pay big bucks for a plain-jane, GI, more-than-half-worn-out pistol as 100,000 get releaed into the marketplace. Think I will wait it out have plenty of more interesting firearms.

Have to think that even outside MA jumping through all the hoops won't be worth it for price/condition of these 1911s. Yes for the forst few months we will see them inflated on gunbroker as people try to flip, but somewhere down the line people won't care anymore and refuse to pay big bucks for a plain-jane, GI, more-than-half-worn-out pistol as 100,000 get releaed into the marketplace. Think I will wait it out have plenty of more interesting firearms.

They're selling them for about 2/3 current retail, so hardly big bucks for USGI 1911s. And they're only releasing 8000 this time around so at that rate, it'd be 12 years before 100,000 hit the market if they ever get to that many.

They're selling them for about 2/3 current retail, so hardly big bucks for USGI 1911s. And they're only releasing 8000 this time around so at that rate, it'd be 12 years before 100,000 hit the market if they ever get to that many.

It isn't 2/3 for the condition as they are described. You can find better without much trouble in fact even on this forum.

It isn't 2/3 for the condition as they are described. You can find better without much trouble in fact even on this forum.

Well I don't know where you're finding them but I just searched the WTS handguns forum for '1911' and found exactly 1 out of 110 listings that was a USGI and it had been refinished and looked fugly and it was 1300. I have never seen a real USGI that was not f'd with or complete pitted junk for around a grand, nevermind better condition than what CMP is selling for that much that is guaranteed to be all USGI with USGI finish.

If I got the chance at one from CMP, I'd grab it and probably not think twice. Unfortunately looks like that won't happen here :-(

Yes. People need to stop thinking of these as a $1000 1911. Just like the M1's aren't just a $800 30-06 rifle. It's history you're buying.

Yes. People need to stop thinking of these as a $1000 1911. Just like the M1's aren't just a $800 30-06 rifle. It's history you're buying.

Truth. One of the main reasons I sold off my one and only USGI 1911A1 is because I rarely shot it, not wanting to diminish it's value if something were to break, or god forbid crack the frame or slide. I enjoy shooting my stuff, and shooting it HARD.

That's a nice way to think about it, and I can understand the attraction for collectors. Won't be my cup of tea, however. I prefer to buy history that is match capable, or at least it won't be a crime to restore that piece of history so that it is match capable. As far as CMP 1911's go, I'm perfectly happy with my Remington R1 exact clone that for $500 is a great shooter.

I'm perfectly happy with my Remington R1 exact clone that for $500 is a great shooter.

Yup! I use a stainless R1 (recent Alabama build) for an IDPA gun and it runs without issue. Only thing I had to do was put a stronger recoil spring in it. With the $100 rebate I got that sucker for under $500. Not a care in the world shooting the hell out of it.

"Match capable"? Are these in unfireable condition?

Hold the 10-ring on a SR target at 200 yards- that's match capable for a rifle. For a 1911, hold the 10-ring on the B-8 25 yard target.

It wouldn't be a crime to re-barrel a typical mix-master M1 if the 'original' is shot out. An original National Match? I'd for sure shoot it if it had decent accuracy but I would not re-barrel it if it did not.

Don't try to tell me that you shoot high power with anything but a White Oak, Compass Lake, or similar barrel / upper. :D

Hold the 10-ring on a SR target at 200 yards- that's match capable for a rifle. For a 1911, hold the 10-ring on the B-8 25 yard target.

It wouldn't be a crime to re-barrel a typical mix-master M1 if the 'original' is shot out. An original National Match? I'd for sure shoot it if it had decent accuracy but I would not re-barrel it if it did not.

Don't try to tell me that you shoot high power with anything but a White Oak, Compass Lake, or similar barrel / upper. :D
I don't think anybody is under the illusion that these CMP 1911's can go straight to the bullseye pistol line and be competitive. Just like the CMP M1's can't compete in a typical Highpower rifle match without extensive work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CMP created a new pistol competition for these 1911's, as they did for the Garands.

Yup! I use a stainless R1 (recent Alabama build) for an IDPA gun and it runs without issue. Only thing I had to do was put a stronger recoil spring in it. With the $100 rebate I got that sucker for under $500. Not a care in the world shooting the hell out of it.

That's a very nice pickup under 500. I guess I was sleeping and missed out on that deal. Last time I looked at the R1 they were near 7 bills.

It looks like they do....

7.2.2 As-Issued M1911 Pistol, Cal. .45 ACP The pistol must be a U. S Armed Forces issue M1911 cal. .45 ACP pistol or a commercial pistol of the same general type and caliber. The pistol must comply with the following requirements. a) The pistol must be in as-issued or “factory stock” condition, with standard grips and non-adjustable sights and without specialized match conditioning or accurizing features; b) The pistol must generally conform to the weight and dimensional specifications of the standard-issue service pistol; 62 c) Rebarreling with a barrel of the same type and length as the M1911 barrel is permitted; d) Only government-issue parts or government or commercial parts of the same general weight and dimensions may be used; e) The trigger pull must be at least 4 lbs. Trigger shoes are not permitted; f) Ammunition used with As-Issued M1911 Pistols must be loaded with full metal-jacketed round nose 230 gr. Bullets; g) Only 7-round magazines with no extensions or magazine bumpers may be used; and h) It is the intent of this rule that reasonable flexibility must be applied in determining if the pistol is an M1911-type pistol within the spirit and intent of this rule

I don't think anybody is under the illusion that these CMP 1911's can go straight to the bullseye pistol line and be competitive. Just like the CMP M1's can't compete in a typical Highpower rifle match without extensive work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CMP created a new pistol competition for these 1911's, as they did for the Garands.

As DW mentions, yep- there is a CMP competition for as-issued 1911's (or clones). Uses the NRA B-8. Without the pressure of competition, my relatively cheap R1 can smoke that course of fire. Of course I'll screw it up in a match, but the equipment is good enough in practice.

No, I wouldn't consider a M1 straight from the CMP to be Highpower worthy. As long as everything is in good order, they will shoot fine for the JC Garand as-issued match. Better with a little touch up work, but OK without. The difference is that there are new 1911's available that meet the criteria for as-issued. So for me, no interest in the CMP 1911's because there's a cheaper, more functional option. Last I checked, there are no new M1's being produced, though one could argue that a CMP Special is close to new.

As DW mentions, yep- there is a CMP competition for as-issued 1911's (or clones). Uses the NRA B-8. Without the pressure of competition, my relatively cheap R1 can smoke that course of fire. Of course I'll screw it up in a match, but the equipment is good enough in practice.

No, I wouldn't consider a M1 straight from the CMP to be Highpower worthy. As long as everything is in good order, they will shoot fine for the JC Garand as-issued match. Better with a little touch up work, but OK without. The difference is that there are new 1911's available that meet the criteria for as-issued. So for me, no interest in the CMP 1911's because there's a cheaper, more functional option. Last I checked, there are no new M1's being produced, though one could argue that a CMP Special is close to new.
Ahhh,.........so the question is: if Springfield Inc fired up production again ( they did make commercial Garand a while ago), is there a market for new M1's? I don't think so.

Ahhh,.........so the question is: if Springfield Inc fired up production again ( they did make commercial Garand a while ago), is there a market for new M1's? I don't think so.

I'll wager that it would be very expensive to do a new M1 right. There's a bazillion CMP M1's out there, so not much market space for it. However, seems that the M1A's keep going. People even willing to pay a premium for forged receivers.

Interesting article of the Army released crates for the 1st 8000 pieces.

The CMP M1911s: The Inside Story

Looks like the "museum" pieces will be going to auction. Wonder if the rest of the DLA 8000 are Aniston '78-82 rebuilds.

So even a high roller collector in MA can't get an auctioned museum piece on these, unlike a long gun.

Back
Top Bottom