• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

This thread has kept me focused on improving 'one thing a day'.

IMG_7380.jpg \

The batch finished about 2AM. Certified Angus roast, 1/2 honey ginger sesame, 1/2 siracha brown sugar. My kids already raided both bags.\

Threw the trays into the dishwasher, and another batch is being vacuum marinated for the get outta dodge bags

That coating can be unreliable, especially in the presence of an oxidizer like chlorine. All it would take is one tiny pin hole in the coating to allow the chlorine access to the metal and the corrosion will creep under the coating, eventually disintegrating the thin metal lid.

There are inexpensive plastic lids available for those jars and they would be a much better choice for something as caustic as chlorine.
I see what you are saying. In my particular case, I recognize what I am working with and deal with it appropriately. The issue with the lids is easily handled by periodically checking them.

The problem with plastic lids is that it kind of works against the whole point of storing them in ball jars to begin with. I suppose a workable compromise here if you were concerned would be to simply replace your lids annually.

This thread has kept me focused on improving 'one thing a day'.

View attachment 336435 \

The batch finished about 2AM. Certified Angus roast, 1/2 honey ginger sesame, 1/2 siracha brown sugar. My kids already raided both bags.\

Threw the trays into the dishwasher, and another batch is being vacuum marinated for the get outta dodge bags
This is something I’ve been meaning to get to for years, but just never seem to get done. Maybe it’s time I got to work on that...

I see what you are saying. In my particular case, I recognize what I am working with and deal with it appropriately. The issue with the lids is easily handled by periodically checking them.

The problem with plastic lids is that it kind of works against the whole point of storing them in ball jars to begin with. I suppose a workable compromise here if you were concerned would be to simply replace your lids annually.

Please explain how a plastic lid on a glass jar works against things. Flawed logic.

Using a plastic lid works in your extreme favor by eliminating any possibilty of a reaction with a metal lid.

You never store potentially corrosive or reactive materials in any container ( the lid being part of that container) that can be acted upon by its contents......it's just not done, just like you wouldn't store gasoline in a styrofoam cooler or hydrochloric acid in a wooden bucket.

Sure you can check your lids, and if the reaction starts a week or a month after your check it will progress.

Go ask a chemist or a pharmacist or check any basic chemistry book.

This is something I’ve been meaning to get to for years, but just never seem to get done. Maybe it’s time I got to work on that...

it's amazing when you tell yourself you can't surf NES after work until you do your 'one thing'

it's not even one big thing like 'inventory the pantry', it's more like 'straighten ONE shelf in the pantry'

Please explain how a plastic lid on a glass jar works against things. Flawed logic.

Using a plastic lid works in your extreme favor by eliminating any possibilty of a reaction with a metal lid.

You never store potentially corrosive or reactive materials in any container ( the lid being part of that container) that can be acted upon by its contents......it's just not done, just like you wouldn't store gasoline in a styrofoam cooler or hydrochloric acid in a wooden bucket.

Sure you can check your lids, and if the reaction starts a week or a month after your check it will progress.

Go ask a chemist or a pharmacist or check any basic chemistry book.
The whole point of putting it in a glass jar is to avoid outgassing, otherwise you’d throw it in a plastic container and be done with it. Chlorine, unopened, in its original container will degrade relatively quickly, outgassing right through the plastic. Most plastic containers are incapable of preventing outgassing, and therefore the degradation of the product. Hence, plastic lid = counterproductive.

The glass is impermeable. The lid, while impermeable, is admittedly the theoretical weak spot, however, my own experience proves to me, that this is a bit of a red herring. As I suggested, regular inspection and maintenance should address your concerns about lid failure.

Looking around the webz you’ll find a lot of discussion on this. This includes a lot of speculation about how those thin metal lids will be gobbled up left and right. It also includes a lot of people’s real world experience stating that they use this method, and it is viable.

Your references to gasoline and styrofoam, hydrochloric acid and wooden buckets, etc, are ridiculous dramatizations, and seem to indicate an insulting tone was intended. Chill out, I wasn't/am not attacking you, just trying to help people out.

The whole point of putting it in a glass jar is to avoid outgassing, otherwise you’d throw it in a plastic container and be done with it. Chlorine, unopened, in its original container will degrade relatively quickly, outgassing right through the plastic. Most plastic containers are incapable of preventing outgassing, and therefore the degradation of the product. Hence, plastic lid = counterproductive.

The glass is impermeable. The lid, while impermeable, is admittedly the theoretical weak spot, however, my own experience proves to me, that this is a bit of a red herring. As I suggested, regular inspection and maintenance should address your concerns about lid failure.

Looking around the webz you’ll find a lot of discussion on this. This includes a lot of speculation about how those thin metal lids will be gobbled up left and right. It also includes a lot of people’s real world experience stating that they use this method, and it is viable.

Your references to gasoline and styrofoam, hydrochloric acid and wooden buckets, etc, are ridiculous dramatizations, and seem to indicate an insulting tone was intended. Chill out, I wasn't/am not attacking you, just trying to help people out.

My examples were just examples of incompatible contents and containers, not meant to be ridiculous dramatizations or insulting.

The plastic lids seal well and when used with a vacuum attachment for food, will hold a vacuum for years and dry chlorine will not outgas through them, nor will the chlorine react with them.

Dry chlorine pool tablets ( hockey puck size) used by professional pool maintenance companies come in plastic buckets with plastic screw top lids.

9415C2A8-4B08-4205-938D-72CEBB4AC36D.jpeg
so today, made pea soup. Before you say ‘so what?’ it was made 100% from pantry preps, including a canned ham, and cooked on my rocket stove - with wood. Split Peas were from preps made in 2013, Dehydrated onion, carrots, etc. Took a hell of a lot longer and required more effort than I thought it would, but it’s within 95% of what it would have been stove top with the grid up. It can be done. Now I know.

I ordered a big box of those foil wrapped individual alcohol prep pads, as they are generally useful but also can be used as travel hand and surface wipes.

View attachment 336791
so today, made pea soup. Before you say ‘so what?’ it was made 100% from pantry preps, including a canned ham, and cooked on my rocket stove - with wood. Split Peas were from preps made in 2013, Dehydrated onion, carrots, etc. Took a hell of a lot longer and required more effort than I thought it would, but it’s within 95% of what it would have been stove top with the grid up. It can be done. Now I know.
I did the lentil soup, a couple weeks ago, with 85% preps and a crockpot. You’ve inspired me to go 100% preps on the solostove. Makes for good practice.

Delicious. Canned ham doesn’t have quite the same texture but that was the only thing not spot on. The only drawback is the less even heat scorched the bottom of the pan when it thickened at the end. Cleanup kinda sucked. 🤷‍♂️

Try a 3/8 or 1/2 inch steel plate and rig a way to secure it to the top of the rocket stove so it holds the weight of a full pot. It will distribute the heat better and cut down or prevent scorching.....especially with tomato sauce.

Last edited:
Made a BJ’s run today and Market Basket for longer term food items as well as paper products. All seemed very well stocked and other than a few more shoppers in the aisles, all appeared normal. No omeprazole (acid inhibitor- heartburn relief). I suggested Lansoprazole to a fellow customer.

If you're worried about sanitation in case of various outbreak (especially given that purelle and bleach wipes have been flying off the shelves in the wake of SARSCoV-2), food service sanitizers are a great option. They typically come concentrated in small, foil-lined and easily stored pouches of powder, or undiluted/concentrated liquids in small but sturdy containers. Both the WHO and CDC acknowledge that many are suitable for MERS-CoV/SARS-CoV/SARS-CoV2 elimination on surfaces, and while they may be a little more rough on the skin than products intended for human use, they work on hands and faces too (be careful with chlorinated cleaners).

If you're late to the party and don't have anything like this laid in yet, you'll find that the shelves may be bare of hand sanitizer but there are plenty of places stocked to the gills with food service sanitizers which are used (and often required by law) in massive volumes in restaurants, hotels, factories, etc - these products typically don't see price gouging or shortages, and have long shelf lives.

Last edited:
If you're worried about sanitation in case of various outbreak (especially given that purelle and bleach wipes have been flying off the shelves in the wake of SARSCoV-2), food service sanitizers are a great option. They typically come concentrated in small, foil-lined and easily stored pouches of powder, or undiluted/concentrated liquids in small but sturdy containers. Both the WHO and CDC acknowledge that many are suitable for MERS-CoV/SARS-CoV/SARS-CoV2 elimination on surfaces, and while they may be a little more rough on the skin than products intended for human use, they work on hands and faces too (be careful with chlorinated cleaners).

If you're late to the party and don't have anything like this laid in yet, you'll find that the shelves may be bare of hand sanitizer but there are plenty of places stocked to the gills with food service sanitizers which are used (and often required by law) in massive volumes in restaurants, hotels, factories, etc - these products typically don't see price gouging or shortages, and have long shelf lives.

Or, get a package of baby wipes and dunk the package in a dilute bleach solution and drain.....home made chlorox wipes. Don't forget to relabel them......chlorox would not be kind to your ass.😷

So topped off today. Vac packed popcorn, red lentils, split peas, and more rice. Figured out sealing mylar bags I've had for years thanks to a video posted here.

Added fats (oil) crisco and Pastene olive oil. Added vitamins, picked ones with high vitamin C RDA's and also added D3 as an extra. Walmart had 1000 ibuprofen generic packs for about 13 bucks.

May I suggest an extra clothes washer soap, dishwasher soap, steel wool, scrubby pads, etc. As i found out yesterday, when cooking becomes more primitive, cleanup is going to be harder. I also amazoned a chain mail cleaner for my cast iron to match the one I have up north.

Today's haul:

IMG_7392.jpg

I ordered some of this. Still in stock. But don't know if it's good - gets great reviews but it's Amazon so who knows.

Amazon product ASIN B00HZNBM7KView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZNBM7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not sure if you hate Walmart enough to Boycott it (and you don't have PRIME) but...
Peak Dry Whole Milk, Rich & Creamy, 2500g - Walmart.com

$59.99 w/ Free Shipping to your local Walmart saves $$$:

Amazon Total Shipped: $67.28
Walmart Total Shipped: $59.99
Savings per can: $ 7.29

Item is In Stock

2500grams makes 5.5 gallons.

Last edited:
I sadly discovered my quads and hamstrings need some strengthening
My military skill set is well behind me too... [rofl2]
toilet-paper-500x500.jpg

ON4469__11.jpg