Pre-ban AR magazine price

Pretty close to finishing my first build, so I'm thinking about magazines. Before I put a WTB thread in the classifieds, what's a reasonable cost for a pre-ban 30 round?

I would say $20 on the high end, maybe a little more if they are externally dated.

They are not as rare as some would have you believe.

Ar mags are plentiful. Most people will charge 30 or so per, sometimes with new followers or refinished exterior. Most stores at least in my neck of the woods charge $45 (ludicrous). Always some up for grabs in the Classifieds

Ive seen them for 25-40 depending on where you get them. Sometimes there on ebay, I also have got good deals on Armslist and Gunbroker

$15-20.

Maybe $25 tops if it were NOS with external date stamp.

Think about how many millions of them are out there. Don't rely on the NES classifieds only. Look around on other sites like ar15.com or m4c. It takes some patience to find them for less than $20, but they are out there.

$15-20.

Maybe $25 tops if it were NOS with external date stamp.

Think about how many millions of them are out there. Don't rely on the NES classifieds only. Look around on other sites like ar15.com or m4c. It takes some patience to find them for less than $20, but they are out there.

I've gotten my best deals on Ar15.com - usually around $15 give or take - just have to be patience and be ready to jump on it when you see it.

Keep in mind that to most of the country, they are just old mags.

I bought a pile of vietnam-era Colt 20's for $10 each like a year or two ago off the shelf at a free state shop.

i paid $25/ea for 3 from an nes member. high? not really as we met on my regular drive route(no shipping) and they work fine as is--no springs or followers needed

They're really not worth the money most people ask for them in Mass. Don't forget that they made them from 1965-1994 for every country that uses the AR platform and in about 47 states they're just old mags that no one wants as long as new Pmags are $8. After I built my AR I bought hundreds of pre-bans for $5-10 ea from various sellers on Arfcom. Kept a bunch and sold the rest locally for around $15-20. Seeing them in local gun shops for $40-50 is crazy.

Just keep in mind 90% of the preban mags have no dates but they're pretty easy to ID.

Last edited:
I was buying them NIW for $25.00 - $30.00 a few months prior to the 94 AWB sun setting.

Paying more than $20.00 used in 2015... walk away.

As has been mentioned, there's a much smaller market for pre-ban mags now.

I was buying them NIW for $25.00 - $30.00 a few months prior to the 94 AWB sun setting.

Paying more than $20.00 used in 2015... walk away.

As has been mentioned, there's a much smaller market for pre-ban mags now.

Yep, Mass is pretty much the only market left. The best I've done recently is a little under $14/each shipped for a lot of 9 NIW 30 rounders.

If you're vacationing or passing through a free state (one some distance away from NE) this summer stop in some pawn shops or gun stores and root through their boxes of old mags for date codes. I had one store that felt sorry for me and brought out all hands to root with me. I think my success rate was ~2 prebans for every 100 mags examined. But still, it was worth the time.

Most prebans were never dated, and a large percentage of the dated ones only had internal markings. Getting to know manufacturers and construction styles will probably turn up a lot more prebans than you think.

Most prebans were never dated, and a large percentage of the dated ones only had internal markings. Getting to know manufacturers and construction styles will probably turn up a lot more prebans than you think.

That seems so silly. It's so difficult to even identify pre ban magazines, they are identical in fit and function to the post ban ones, yet MA gun owners need to go through this hell to find one. It just doesn't make any sense Batman!!!

It's not hard. Most preban mags are from manufacturers who either stopped making them in 1994 or started dating them then. Paranoid types like to talk up "BUT THEY COULD SWITCH THE FLOORPLATES!" Well if you find a mag from a preban maker, with an old style follower, and a mag body that looks 20 years old, 149 times out of 150 it's a preban mag and if it isn't no one on this planet could tell. I've been through hundreds of them and I only saw one that didn't check out.

Every mag from 1994 until the ban sunset was dated, too. So something undated is either brand new or over two decades old.

Only real concern with faked mags is old floorplates on new bodies. You see them sometimes as "refinished" at gun shows. But it's not common.

It's not hard. Most preban mags are from manufacturers who either stopped making them in 1994 or started dating them then. Paranoid types like to talk up "BUT THEY COULD SWITCH THE FLOORPLATES!" Well if you find a mag from a preban maker, with an old style follower, and a mag body that looks 20 years old, 149 times out of 150 it's a preban mag and if it isn't no one on this planet could tell. I've been through hundreds of them and I only saw one that didn't check out.

Every mag from 1994 until the ban sunset was dated, too. So something undated is either brand new or over two decades old.

Only real concern with faked mags is old floorplates on new bodies. You see them sometimes as "refinished" at gun shows. But it's not common.

The whole thing is silly....it's just thin gauge sheet aluminum for chrissakes. Way too much evil in the world

Back
Top Bottom