Police shot civilian while training

My first gun club prohibited members from being present while police were using the range. It's frowned upon at the other clubs I've joined over the years. That way they only shoot each other . . . and in my years as a PO I saw lots of unsafe gun handling go without correction.

Sad truth is that if this was done at a gun club, it will likely be sued. Police are basically never liable for actions on the job with very rare exception although they may choose to pay off rather than incur the publicity.

My club lets a couple PDs use the ranges a few times a year. We can watch if we want, but for the most part it’s just people shooting at silhouettes. We also have a range officer present because of some carelessness and we only allow them to set targets where they impact the berms since they liked to shoot in any direction they felt like. They were shooting towards other ranges on the property so we put a stop to it.

From the linked article:

On the morning May 30, firearms instructor Patrolman Todd Neale and six other Athol police officers arrived at the Woodsman's Rifle and Pistol Club for tactical firearms training. The first four hours proceeded without incident, as the officers practiced without live ammunition. [smile]

After breaking for lunch, the officers prepared to do a room-clearing exercise in a simulated house set up on the firearms club's outdoor range. Three rooms were set up with tarps serving as simulated walls, and officers were expected to move through the rooms and shoot at targets designed to represent active shooters.

"The only backstop for these three rooms were the three sand berms at the back of the range," State Police Lt. Jeffrey Cahill wrote in his investigative report.

Mousseau was the first officer to do the exercise. He cleared the first two rooms without incident.

In the third, things went awry.

Det. Peter Buck told investigators that Mousseau fired a two shots, and then two more. The second set of rounds punched through the paper target and the tarp behind it and struck the civilian observer, whose name was redacted in the report.

In an interview with investigators, Neale acknowledged that the target Mousseau fired upon was not supposed to be used during the live-fire training. While other targets were positioned so that bullets would travel downrange and strike the backstop, one was facing back toward the start of the range -- placing the officers and the civilian in the line of fire.

I guess this is how we find out about the rules update?

• Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.
  • Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
  • Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
  • Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.

I'm getting really tired of this shit.

Also, this complete and utter lack of actual training and PRACTICE is probably partially why the Broward Coward didn't go in the school. He knew he would be outclassed.

The first four hours proceeded without incident, as the officers practiced without live ammunition.

Says it all!

Bag o' ca$h, coming at ya!!

I guess this is how we find out about the rules update?

• Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.
  • Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
  • Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
  • Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.
  • Get home safely.

Fixed.

Back
Top Bottom