• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police shot civilian while training

I would love to see how the DA manages to weasel their way out of this one (and they will unfortunately).

Sounds like a good civil case...Of course, thanks to the Mass Tort Claims Act - max recovery is $100k.
Got to protect the King you know...

wonder if the APD was using a local range for training, and that range had a member on site to observe on behalf of the club.? ( thinking liability here, who takes it APD ( training) or club - provided the venue..? )

because that could be interesting. or for that matter a member of club just watching the PD qualify and got caught in the cross fire, lol
just speculating, the report doesn't say where the shooting took place, just assuming a range of some sort.

So perhaps there's your difference between those who like to shoot and shoot often, and those only shoot the minimal amount required for the job. I can't picture one of my LEO friends or family doing something that stupid- well, maybe one but he gave me a couple guns so he gets a pass. :D

Do we set up a go fund me for a mythbuster style bulletproof glass room for the range?

Scene after incident:
tumblr_mrsoyrwNj11rzm12co1_500.gif

My first gun club prohibited members from being present while police were using the range. It's frowned upon at the other clubs I've joined over the years. That way they only shoot each other . . . and in my years as a PO I saw lots of unsafe gun handling go without correction.

Sad truth is that if this was done at a gun club, it will likely be sued. Police are basically never liable for actions on the job with very rare exception although they may choose to pay off rather than incur the publicity.

Police shot civilian while training

They say the best training is when you make it "life-like".
Something about muscle memory...

My first gun club prohibited members from being present while police were using the range. It's frowned upon at the other clubs I've joined over the years. That way they only shoot each other . . . and in my years as a PO I saw lots of unsafe gun handling go without correction.

Sad truth is that if this was done at a gun club, it will likely be sued. Police are basically never liable for actions on the job with very rare exception although they may choose to pay off rather than incur the publicity.

my club frequently allows the use of the combat range for police training . signs clearly posted that training in progress, "do not go beyond this point" or something to that effect. as you pointed out, that way if anyone gets shot it's not a civilian

So perhaps there's your difference between those who like to shoot and shoot often, and those only shoot the minimal amount required for the job. I can't picture one of my LEO friends or family doing something that stupid- well, maybe one but he gave me a couple guns so he gets a pass. :D

Ironically I was talking to a cop today whose never owned a firearm other than his dept issued sidearm and said he has only ever shot it to qualify. So yeah, they are certainly out there.

I shoot sometimes with a couple of different cop buddies. Great guys, very safe shooters, but I can shoot circles around them. And I’m not Annie Oakley either.

They don’t get a whole lot of firearms training or practice through the PD. Despite what they’d have you believe.

Back
Top Bottom