• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police shoot dog, justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mail men and UPS drivers deal with dogs every day, how many dogs have they shot?"

So what you're saying is if a dog lunged at you, with the intent of biting, you would slap it on the snout and call it a bad dog? Theres a difference between a dog barking at the mail man and a dog trying to cause you harm.

My problem is why did the put handcuffs on the man? I dont see that he was interacting with them in the least bit. Although if he was told to move on multiple times I can see them getting a bit pissy about it. What we do not know is what kind of scene this was and the potential for violence. The dog did lunge to protect his owner. They may have told him to control the dog but of course they made that impossible with him in cuffs. I would not say justified or trigger happy. I would say very unfortunate.

So what you're saying is if a dog lunged at you, with the intent of biting, you would slap it on the snout and call it a bad dog? Theres a difference between a dog barking at the mail man and a dog trying you cause harm.

I have used pepper spray on 3 dogs they took off. They survived, no need to shoot them they don't carry.

I have used pepper spray on 3 dogs they took off. They survived, no need to shoot them they don't carry.

Im not saying shoot every dog that comes off aggressive but people have resisted pepper spray and just been angry. What if the dog resisted? dog bites are no joke. If it came down to it, Id rather know the result rather than HOPE the dog runs from the pepper spray.

They have mace or a taser usually. They are in full gear with a vest, plus have other officers with them. They are not in mortal danger or anything close to it. If you can't handle a dog as a grown man or woman with all that gear on and all that backup without shooting it like a coward you should find a new line of work.

The laws about shooting people's pets with impunity need to be changed.

Im not saying shoot every dog that comes off aggressive but people have resisted pepper spray and just been angry. What if the dog resisted? dog bites are no joke. If it came down to it, Id rather know the result rather than HOPE the dog runs from the pepper spray.
Dogs are very affected by pepper spray. Their sence of smell is well known.

Aggression is not always bad, there has to be context to it. Walking down the street and a dog attacks me, I will defend with whatever force I have. If I can withdraw of course I will, if I am the cause of the aggression then it is my responsibility to calm things down. I think very often these shootings are the result of laziness by the officers, not fear.

Dogs are very affected by pepper spray. Their sence of smell is well known.

This is true. In this situation is it easier to draw, or unsnap your bottle of pepper spray from its little holster and find the button?

Aggression is not always bad, there has to be context to it. Walking down the street and a dog attacks me, I will defend with whatever force I have. If I can withdraw of course I will, if I am the cause of the aggression then it is my responsibility to calm things down. I think very often these shootings are the result of laziness by the officers, not fear.
True or trigger happy.

This is true. In this situation is it easier to draw, or unsnap your bottle of pepper spray from its little holster and find the button?

Its like drawing a gun, practice. If these dogs were people this discussion would not happen. A few more cops in jail.

Its like drawing a gun, practice. If these dogs were people this discussion would not happen. A few more cops in jail.

Valid points. i think for a civilian its Justified, for a cop...something less lethal could have been used.

Valid points. i think for a civilian its Justified, for a cop...something less lethal could have been used.

I think a lot of this has to do with the officer's training and department policy on use of force. I don't think there are many policies anywhere on using pepper spray or a taser on a dog.

Dave

Out of curiosity, why does the reason the man was handcuffed justify or not justify the shooting of the dog?

Dave

Cause the dog would not have jumped out of the car if he was not being handled by the Police. The dog came to protect his owner. Dogs do that. The owner of the dog is the issue. He put himself in a bad situation and did not back off when told too. As far as the dog being shot I already said that I would not call it justified or trigger happy. I would call it unfortunate. But I ask if a 100 pound rotty came running at you and lunged what would you do if you had a gun.

Again the dog owner did this by trying to be a badass and not listen

In Massachusetts id go to prison for murdering a childs hopes and dreams

mother****ers. everyone involved, including the antagonizing dog owner. poor dog didnt know any better.

images

Cause the dog would not have jumped out of the car if he was not being handled by the Police. The dog came to protect his owner. Dogs do that. The owner of the dog is the issue. He put himself in a bad situation and did not back off when told too. As far as the dog being shot I already said that I would not call it justified or trigger happy. I would call it unfortunate. But I ask if a 100 pound rotty came running at you and lunged what would you do if you had a gun.

Again the dog owner did this by trying to be a badass and not listen

I think I agree with you. If the dog was coming at me I'd shoot it. I don't have to wait until it actually bites me. If I believe I or someone else is in imminent harm or death, the dog gets shot. But as far as the man being cuffed goes, I do not think it matters. If the police are cuffing a guy at a domestic (whether to arrest or for their safety) and his wife comes running out of a car with a pipe and the cops believe she is going to cause harm or death to someone, it doesn't matter what the police are cuffing the guy for, the wife gets shot.

Dave

mother****ers. everyone involved, including the antagonizing dog owner. poor dog didnt know any better.

images

+1

Another thing that pisses me off, pieces of shit like this make real cops that don't shoot dogs look like shit too. It's just bad all around. I read too many dogs being killed by police stories today.

It's sad, but I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over it. The guy is a moron. The cops tried to get the dog away. It lunged and got shot.

I think I agree with you. If the dog was coming at me I'd shoot it. I don't have to wait until it actually bites me. If I believe I or someone else is in imminent harm or death, the dog gets shot. But as far as the man being cuffed goes, I do not think it matters. If the police are cuffing a guy at a domestic (whether to arrest or for their safety) and his wife comes running out of a car with a pipe and the cops believe she is going to cause harm or death to someone, it doesn't matter what the police are cuffing the guy for, the wife gets shot.

Dave
You would shoot a dog rather than try to stop it, nice guy. Guess you don't need your ltc for a real threat. Because it will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom