Police shoot dog, justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would shoot a dog rather than try to stop it, nice guy. Guess you don't need your ltc for a real threat. Because it will be gone.

Maybe I should talk to the dog and try to reason with it. Maybe tell it stories and sing Kumbaya. Maybe I should get a doggy fortune teller so I can be sure what its intentions are. The fact of the matter is I don't have to wait until it is on me with my throat in its jaws and I am wishing I had shot it before I was put in that situation. With your own safety, you do what you want.

Dave

Maybe I should talk to the dog and try to reason with it. Maybe tell it stories and sing Kumbaya. Maybe I should get a doggy fortune teller so I can be sure what its intentions are. The fact of the matter is I don't have to wait until it is on me with my throat in its jaws and I am wishing I had shot it before I was put in that situation. With your own safety, you do what you want.

Dave

[thumbsup] well said.

On the fence with this one.
But shooting your hand towards an upset dog's face as the cop did, is somewhat less than wise.
From what I could tell the dog didn't lunge till that point.
But Mr. getto cool "look at me I got a rottie" put the dog in that situation.
The dog didn't ask to be there.

Dave
Ok trigger happy, no pepper spray wont work. I have had 3 dogs come after me all were sprayed. No cops no bites no trigger happy nonsense.

They can't carry thats why. Pepper spray is ok.

and police do carry. You're saying if they carried, they would shoot the dogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok trigger happy, no pepper spay wont work. I have had 3 dogs come after me all were sprayed. No cops no bites no trigger happy nonsense.

so we should wait until we are bitten, grounded or injured before we decide to try and be lethal?

If you have to shoot a dog to protect yourself, then shoot it. But this situation was odd. The owner should have secured the dog properly in the car by tying it up or closing the windows sufficiently so the dog could not get out.

I think it does matter why the person was being arrested. If it was just for the non-violent offense of filming them, then they could have allowed him to calm the dog down so they could restrain it.

The officer who shot the dog was probably untrained in animal control and he lunged at the dog first apparently in an attempt to grab it's collar prior to the dog lunging at him. This is when he felt he needed to shoot the dog.

If I felt threatened by a dog as dangerous as this one, I would shoot it too, but it just seems like this didn't need to unfold this way.

The only true innocent here is the dog.

You would shoot a dog rather than try to stop it, nice guy. Guess you don't need your ltc for a real threat. Because it will be gone.

Don't worry he would wind up being broke as **** after he gets sued and won't be able to even afford his own nes membership, oh wait I forgot there is karma membership...

and police do carry. You're saying if they carried, they would shoot the dogs.

- - - Updated - - -

so we should wait until we are bitten, grounded or injured before we decide to try and be lethal?

WTF, read do you have to shoot every thing. Pepper spay is effective. Mail man and ups cant carry and deal with dogs all day long. Some here and the cops just cant seem to wait to shoot something.Try hunting.

WTF, read do you have to shoot every thing. Pepper spay is effective. Mail man and ups cant carry and deal with dogs all day long. Some here and the cops just cant seem to wait to shoot something.Try hunting.

Its known cops cant wait to shoot something. I just dont think pepper spray is the best option for a violent animal. Im not going to carry around pepper spray in case of a dog attack so i can save it. The only option is a firearm. It will stop the threat without question and you wont have to wonder if the dog will resist bullets, like it could pepper spray.

Its known cops cant wait to shoot something. I just dont think pepper spray is the best option for a violent animal. Im not going to carry around pepper spray in case of a dog attack so i can save it. The only option is a firearm. It will stop the threat without question and you wont have to wonder if the dog will resist bullets, like it could pepper spray.

Or how about you don't cuff a man with a dog for recording you on his phone?

I never said or implied the arrest was justified. I said i dont think pepper spray is the best option for an aggressive animal.

Having spent 3 hours in surgery getting my face reconstructed from a dog bite, I can say there is only one reason to put a dog down and that is if it bites a kid.

Do what you want. You will be in court and loose your ltc. I will walk away like I have in 3 different occasions. I think Eric Hernandes need a cellmate.

Do what you want. You will be in court and loose your ltc. I will walk away like I have in 3 different occasions. I think Eric Hernandes need a cellmate.

Implying i would rather have my LTC than my life and limb intact.
Implying im saying we should shoot every animal that is aggressive.
Implying i wouldnt love an autograph from Hernandes

I never said or implied the arrest was justified. I said i dont think pepper spray is the best option for an aggressive animal.

Which is the problem here. Had the JBT's left the serf alone with his video of "two fat JBT's standing on the sidewalk looking like two fat JBT's" the situation would have never gotten to the point where John Rambo executes a dog that is trying to figure out why two fat JBT's have his best friend in cuffs for using his iPhone.

'Merica!

^ THIS. Cops are public servants. Any and all actions they take while in the performance of their duties, especially on a public street, are subject to scrutiny. Not to mention that there is no law against filming damn near anything in public. What about the guy who was making the recording we watched? Why wasn't he in cuffs? Oh he must have been white and dogless...

Which is the problem here. Had the JBT's left the serf alone with his video of "two fat JBT's standing on the sidewalk looking like two fat JBT's" the situation would have never gotten to the point where John Rambo executes a dog that is trying to figure out why two fat JBT's have his best friend in cuffs for using his iPhone.

'Merica!

Im talking about the dogs activity when it was shot, no the circumstances causing the dog to act that way.

They probably charged the dude with "interfering" or some other BS just to cover their asses after they shot his dog. With all the people hanging out, riding bikes, watching the detectives, they're lucky they didn't ricochet one off the concrete into a bystander.

Mail men and UPS drivers deal with dogs every day, how many dogs have they shot?

The delivery man on my fathers street in brockton growing up shot the neighbors GSD that attacked him.

Get over it, everything's not always black and white with the cops being the bad guys.

Mike

I don't typically mmqb... but it's on video, so here's my thoughts:

What bothers me here is timing. A draw from a pistol holster is going to be faster than OC a majority of the time, and is the appropriate reaction for a dog that lunges at you without warning or time to react. Prior to that, which seems to be the case here, they were facing off with the dog with plenty of time to make another decision. OC (15 seconds from dog getting out until shooting)

When that dog was first coming out of truck, the officer had plenty of time to pull it and hose dog down. Is a dog a deadly threat? sure. Just because something is right by policy though, doesn't make it right.

the point of the thread was if the video, from 3:00 on was justified. Not if the police arrest was justified.

It's not f-ing justified. If I rile up a dog and then he attacks I'M WRONG....

This is no different from the Minneapolis SWAT team kicking in the wrong door, getting in to a fire fight with an innocent man, then writing themselves up for awards for acting bravely. Had they not f-ed up from the get go a house would have a lot less holes.

The actions that led to the dog to jumping out of the car should have never happened, and because of that you cannot justify shooting a dog for getting upset that it's best friend is having his rights stomped on.

Why be the hero with the Cell phone vid in the first place...Everyone else had no problem staying back 20 feet behind this guy..I know most on this board love to hate the police but how many of us would still walk around when told to move back?? I bet each and every one of us would have moved back..The situation escalated for the simple fact that the dog owner is a moron

I have been pilled over about 50 times..Not once has a cop beaten or tazed me or shot my dog..I bet I could change that really easy if I put on my "You cant tell me what to do attitude"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom