• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plus and/or negative to adding a pistol grip to a home defense shotgun?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I currently own a Mossberg 500B that I've got set up as my upstairs home defense shotgun. A buddy of mine gave me an aftermarket buttstock that fits that Mossberg with a pistol grip. I'm intrigued by it but before I swap it out and give it a try anyone have any plus or negatives to having a pistol grip on a home defense shotgun?

I've got a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip butstock. It's on the inside of my safe door, in "cruiser mode"; (round in the chamber, but action partly open). I like it better than with the original stock.

I thought I wanted one until I tried it and it was quite uncomfortable. Plus, as another poster said, it ruins the ergonomics with regards to the tang safety and slide release. I find that the Magpul stock is the perfect compromise though.

I have a recoil reducing stock on my Remington police model 870 and it has a pistol grip. I like it but I also have a Benellu M1 Super 90 with a pistol grip that I've had forever so I'm use to it.

Pistol grip on a 500? Lol why? That thing is designed for tang safety and slide release with a bare stock. Want a pistol grip, get a tactical shottie engineered that way.

In my opinion, pistol grips and tang safeties (Mossberg) makes manipulations very inefficient.

Almost unusable.
I personally don't see a need for a safety on a home defense shotgun. Like someone said "cruiser mode" and I don't ever engage the safety. One less thing to mess up under pressure

i had a pistol grip on my 870 for a while years ago. it's a matter of personal taste i think, if you want to continue to use it. i simply didn't like the limited way it restricted me to hold the shotgun. does that even make sense? and it seemed to amplify recoil, i think some have mentioned that already. you need to just put it on and test drive it for yourself. one days worth of work to try, after one range session, you're gonna know if it's for you or not.

Nope. It’s a pump gun. No negatives unless it’s uncomfortable

If an auto loader (not the case here) a pistol grip limits your tube mag capacity.

How does the PG restrict magazine?

If you have a free stock, put it on, and try it out.

If you like it, then it's a good idea.

Seriously, running a box of ammo through it will give you a much, much better answer than any interwebz post, mine included.

Good advice, you’ve got it, try it out.

I don’t like PGs, only because I’m not used to them. Im not even fond of the one on my AK, so for sure I wouldn’t want one on a shotgun. But that’s me. YMMV

My Benelli M1 super 90 is not limited by its pistol grip stock. Why do you say that?
The assault weapons ban law. Unless your shotgun is pre 1994, it is illegal in MA to have both a pistol grip and a magazine with more than 5 rounds. One or the other is fine, but not both.

edited to add: this is specific to semi-auto shotguns. It doesn’t apply to pump-action shotguns.

I suspect that there are a lot of people who are unknowingly violating that law.

Last edited:
I've got a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip butstock. It's on the inside of my safe door, in "cruiser mode"; (round in the chamber, but action partly open). I like it better than with the original stock.

Adding pics. Storage / cruiser mode

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
The assault weapons ban law. Unless your shotgun is pre 1994, it is illegal in MA to have both a pistol grip and a magazine with more than 5 rounds. One or the other is fine, but not both.

I suspect that there are a lot of people who are unknowingly violating that law.

I was wondering about this. The Mossberg 500B comes with a 8 rounds tube. Not sure though if it's pre 1994. Some more research is needed before I add it on.

I was wondering about this. The Mossberg 500B comes with a 8 rounds tube. Not sure though if it's pre 1994. Some more research is needed before I add it on.
Have you handled a mossberg with a pistol grip before? Specifically working the safety with one? It’s different enough that if you haven’t you should and it may answer your question.

The 500 is a pump, not a semiauto, so the limitation on the number of evil features doesn’t apply.

What is a concern, however, is whether the 8 round tube itself is a banned high capacity feeding device.

Back
Top Bottom