Plugs or earmuffs

You would have to look at the NR rating, I am sure that some plugs maybe better than some muffs. I use plugs when shooting rifle (muffs get in the way) and usually both when shooting handgun.

I find muffs a lot more comfortable, but when shooting some rifles they get in the way.

Like was posted above I'll double plug a lot. Indoors and loud guns.

Another good thing about electronic muffs are the ability to turn up the sound. I can double plug and still be able to hear. Outdoors teaching pistol, electronic muffs allow almost normal conversations. Very useful in an IDPA setting.

So, get both and then you can use the 'best for the moment".

Definitely earmuffs.
Wrong.

Most of the soft foam expanding plugs have noise reduction ratings (NRR) of 30 to 33 dBA.

Try finding a set of muffs that protect that well. I don't think even active noise cancelling muffs work that well.

You would have to look at the NR rating, I am sure that some plugs maybe better than some muffs. I use plugs when shooting rifle (muffs get in the way) and usually both when shooting handgun.

This is the key issue. Higher NRR is better. You really have to pay attention to the NRR when you shop for them. Sometime's it is not obvious.

I also double up with plugs + muffs. You only get 2 ears. Take care of them.

I find electronic muffs far more pleasant to use than plugs. You can hear people talking, and you don't have to shove stuff in your ears. I'll probably add plugs under the muffs when shooting indoors or loud stuff.

Wrong.

Most of the soft foam expanding plugs have noise reduction ratings (NRR) of 30 to 33 dBA.

Try finding a set of muffs that protect that well. I don't think even active noise cancelling muffs work that well.

I don't think you've looked.

I've had NRR 31 muffs for years (2 consecutive sets); my new ones are NRR 33. Unlike foam plugs, muffs also cover a fair chunk of skull, preventing noise transmission through the bone.

That said, I usually wear BOTH plugs and muffs, especially if indoors or shooting my race gun.

When used correctly

Most people do not insert plugs properly. I've had good success with the plastic plugs. They're cheap, can be washed, and if you have trouble inserting them properly a little water (or spit) helps too.

Once I witnessed a former Navy Seal use spent casings as plugs. It looked cool but I wouldn't recommend it.

from http://ehs.sc.edu/modules/Noise/plugs.htm

Reach one hand behind your head and pull your ear outward and upward to widen the auditory canal. Insert the plug well into the ear and hold it in place until it expands. Don't be afraid to place the plug into the ear canal. You cannot hurt your eardrum because the plugs are too short to reach it. If the seal is not tight, the earplug will not be effective.

plugin.gif

I used to have custom-molded plugs when I was working at a skeet/trap range.

But I found that the foarm ones worked better most of the time.

These days, I use CVS brand NRR 33 plugs under NRR31 (I think) Remington muffs. No rease to risk hearing loss and I shoot a lot more than I used to, usually once a week although the pace has fallen off a bit lately.

I don't think you've looked.

I've had NRR 31 muffs for years (2 consecutive sets); my new ones are NRR 33. Unlike foam plugs, muffs also cover a fair chunk of skull, preventing noise transmission through the bone.

That said, I usually wear BOTH plugs and muffs, especially if indoors or shooting my race gun.

+1 Plugs alone don't work. Too much sound is transmitted through the skull; muffs are necessary to protect your hearing. When I was in the Army I fired a lot of 54 mm recoilless rifle rounds using only plugs. I was deaf for two days following this session and have had a ringing in my ears ever since. That was over 30 years ago.

Scriv, what brand of muffs do you use with that high a rating? Are they electronic or non?

I typically try to use a combo of both.

Usually when just pistol shooting I use custom plugs (which don't
seem to have a high NRR, but they are comfortable) and muffs on
top. (usually the peltor 30 NRR muffs )

When I shoot rifles I just use the 33 NRR throw away plugs. I can't
use the muffs with rifles because the stock of the rifle ends up pushing the muff off my ear.

-Mike

I use both. I get disposable earplugs with a 33db NRR in bulk from here:

http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Hearing_Protection/Disposable_Earplugs/39336/

Much cheaper than buying a couple at a time at a gun store. Then I put electronic muffs on top.

I already have tinnitus (ringing in my ears), though the cause is unknown. A word of advice from someone who has already been there -- you DO NOT want to get tinnitus. There's basically nothing that can be done to fix it once the damage has been done.

Always wear hearing protection when shooting or using any kind of power tool (snowblowers, leaf blowers, lawn mower, etc.).

I already have tinnitus (ringing in my ears), though the cause is unknown. A word of advice from someone who has already been there -- you DO NOT want to get tinnitus. There's basically nothing that can be done to fix it once the damage has been done.

Always wear hearing protection when shooting or using any kind of power tool (snowblowers, leaf blowers, lawn mower, etc.).

+1,000,000,000! [crying]

I always wear plugs when using the lawn tractor or the snowblower... and if I'm using the leaf blower for longer than 60 seconds, that too. Also, for you bikers out there? Plugs. That's how I got my noise-damaged hearing problems... 10 years of riding without any hearing protection. I had no idea that that could happen... and now all I can do is try to prevent any further deterioration. [sad]

BTW, thanks for the shopping link, M1911... I'd forgotten about Lab Safety; I used to get Gatorade mix from them in bulk - case lots of one gallon packets. Very useful for SCA events where you're wearing 50 lbs of armor!

This might be a shot in the dark but does anyone know what those really thin earmuffs are I am always seeing at the range and are they any good.

Low profile or not, I can't do muffs with long arms, it's always plugs.

When pistol shooting, I grab the Bilsom Leightning L3 muffs, they are rated NRR 30

Am I the only one using the Insta Mold plugs?? I have a set for outdoors and a set with filters that can be worn under muffs.

Problem with electronic muffs is the delay in closing. No matter how good they are, there is still some delay so I wear the filtered plugs under the muffs.

If anyone is interested, there is a supplier out of Pelham that will come to a member shoot and fit them if he can get a minimum of 6 committed buyers.

Regards,

Am I the only one using the Insta Mold plugs?? I have a set for outdoors and a set with filters that can be worn under muffs.

I have a set of these and while they fit very well and are
comfortable, I feel the NRR provided isn't that great, probably
in the 10-20 db range or so. Sure beats wearing throwaways
under my muffs, though... way more comfortable.

-Mike

Yeah, I had some like that before. Found they didn't work as well as the disposables and I was working at a range so I needed something stronger. Went for the foam plugs.

Problem with electronic muffs is the delay in closing. No matter how good they are, there is still some delay so I wear the filtered plugs under the muffs.

If anyone is interested, there is a supplier out of Pelham that will come to a member shoot and fit them if he can get a minimum of 6 committed buyers.

Regards,

I got a set of these years ago from a dealer at the CAS State Championships in Harvard. Work well although I confess I don't know the rating. I use them under muffs indoors for extra protection.

I have a set of these and while they fit very well and are
comfortable, I feel the NRR provided isn't that great, probably
in the 10-20 db range or so. Sure beats wearing throwaways
under my muffs, though... way more comfortable.

-Mike

If that is the case, yours are not fitted properly. I have them from two different dealers. As much as I like the guy from Pelham that travels the state fitting them, the pair my neighbor made for me close off the best. She has been making them a lot longer.

Lowest rating for these is supposed to be 25 with other frequencies up past 30.

Back
Top Bottom