• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Dot or Green

Do you prefer a Red Dot Optic or Green Dot?

• Red

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Green

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
There is some "internet scientific evidence" that the color green is more easily picked up by the human eye when compared to red. Does that really matter...probably not.

Red pops more for me than green. Also, not sure if this is still a thing or not, but last I knew the battery life on Red far exceeded green.

battery life on Red far exceeded green.
This is true. Red lasers are almost twice as efficient as green lasers and therefore use twice the energy.

The human eye typically responds better to green, but try using a green dot while aiming into a tree line.

Conversely, try picking up a red dot in a line of traffic behind a hundred cars with their brake lights on.

Both have positives. Both have negatives.

I have both. My eyes like my green MRO’s over my red aimpoints and rmr’s...but that’s me.

Green dot will not work well again vegetation background.
But for a laser green works better in daylight.

Red because the primary purposes of a green dot are (1) color blind people who can't see red or people who have other vision issues related to red; (2) sometimes night vision; and (3) desert environments.

I started with red and I keep buying red... Just use to red so why change...

They say that outside in bright light you are supposed to be able to pick up the green better...
I have had no problem seeing the red so I stay with it...

Plus, green eats up battery's, red lasts a lot longer than green does...

I've changed to the light/laser combo lately, I like it... I still carry a flashlight though...

Plus, I only buy Crimson Trace products...

They stand by their products 100%, I even screwed up a laser by adjusting the left/right or up/down too much, I pushed it past what it was supposed to go and I broke the adjuster... They replaced it for me no questions asked for free... I've also dealt with them on other laser related stuff and they were great...
Plus, they have the life time, once a year battery replacement, I get around 25 or so batteries from them every year, it could be even more now, I've got to put my list together, I call it in every January...

As far as Optics, I don't have one for my carry gun, YET... I plan on changing over to it...
I do have those ones that you can change the optic and change the color, I've felt that the red is easier to see so I use the red...

Last edited:
I've wondered about this also. Most of what I have is red although at least one has the option of red or green dots

Red seems better to me but then I don't have enough experience with different backgrounds to make a comparison.

Green really pops, but if you're like me, it actually makes astigmatism starburst worse because it pops out so much from backgrounds. I have a green circle dot that looks like Slimer from Ghost Busters is blocking my sight picture with my astigmatism.

Green really pops, but if you're like me, it actually makes astigmatism starburst worse because it pops out so much from backgrounds. I have a green circle dot that looks like Slimer from Ghost Busters is blocking my sight picture with my astigmatism.

Does it get any better if you turn the intensity down?

Does it get any better if you turn the intensity down?

Not for my eyes, unfortunately. The lowest setting helps, but doesn't really get rid of the issue. But if I flip up the BUIS and look through a peep, both red and green turn as sharp as one would see it without eye problems. Weird how that works.

I thought red was great until I actually had to shoot in the bright sun for a steel challenge and couldn’t see the red. My cheap Chinese optic had the option for green and switched it over and it was much more visible.

Try holding your red dot up to a ceiling light. If you have a green dot, do the same, the green is way easier to see.

Now I’m team green. I wish c-more would come out with a green diode.
I even went out and bought a new green 507k for my 356xl that I edc.

Humans have three cones in their eyes. Long, Medium and Small. The long cone covers a wider portion of the color spectrum, and is the one primarily in charge of perceiving red. But because it sees a relatively wider spectrum, red dots can wash out easier in natural and artificial light. The medium cone is in charge of perceiving green. Not only is it more focused in the green spectrum and of a higher sensitivity than the long cone, but it also gets a boost from the long cone overlap. But being a narrower portion of the spectrum, it is susceptible to washout against its own color spectrum (hence green dots against foliage wash out). The short cone for blue just has the lowest sensitivity of all three cones, making it a poor choice for a dot. Plus, it is even shorter wave length than green, so battery life would suffer. The shorter wavelength is great for blueray though.

Human-vision-cone-spectrum-768x498.png

Back
Top Bottom