• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mec-Gar mags, pre-ban or post-ban?

So I have several 15-round 9mm Mec-Gar magazines that are brand new in the package; some for the P226 and some for the P228. After doing a lot of reading I *think* they are pre-ban but can't say for certain. Does anyone know how to tell beyond a reasonable doubt? They do say "Patent Pending" on them, which someone else had mentioned is an indication that they should be pre-ban. Any help would be appreciated.

Sig-Sauer-P226-9mm-15rnd-Mec-Gar.jpg

Sig-Sauer-P228-9mm-15rnd-Mec-Gar.jpg

Most likely post-ban. I don't know if Mec-Gar was around in 1994. They make very good (and a lot of OEM) mags however.

1. Hi, Maura!
2. Do with them as you please. The burden is on you, either way.
3. Whatever you decide, delete the thread.

I usually assume all MecGar mags are postban, but whether I let that bother me is another issue. Hypothetically. Because, see #1 above...

1. Hi, Maura!
2. Do with them as you please. The burden is on you, either way.
3. Whatever you decide, delete the thread.

I usually assume all MecGar mags are postban, but whether I let that bother me is another issue. Hypothetically. Because, see #1 above...

I have no idea what "Hi, Maura" is supposed to mean. And is there a reason why you would tell me to delete the thread?

I have no idea what "Hi, Maura" is supposed to mean. And is there a reason why you would tell me to delete the thread?

Just teasing, mostly.

My real answer is the last bit. I assume they're all post-ban, and even if they're not, the burden of proof is on you and it better be solid in the UNLIKELY even you get jammed up.

I normally find it worthwhile just to pony up for prebans and avoid the hassle.

You do realize not everyone lives in an AWB state, right? If they REALLY want to cross state lines and violate my constitutional rights they are certainly more than welcome to try it! I could use a large legal settlement to pay off some bills. :)

You do realize not everyone lives in an AWB state, right? If they REALLY want to cross state lines and violate my constitutional rights they are certainly more than welcome to try it! I could use a large legal settlement to pay off some bills. :)

Oooookay.... since you give no indication you're not in MA, but are asking about prebans, what else would you want me to conclude?

I'm not aware that "prebans" are a thing in other states, though I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, I've given my views on MacGars: I assume they're postban. Take that for what you paid for it.

Enjoy, and be safe.

Thank you, I am sending an email to Mec-Gar to see if they can help. Since I don't own either a 226 or a 228 I am planning to sell them and figured this would be a good place to find knowledgeable people who might be interested if indeed they are pre-ban.

Thank you, I am sending an email to Mec-Gar to see if they can help. Since I don't own either a 226 or a 228 I am planning to sell them and figured this would be a good place to find knowledgeable people who might be interested if indeed they are pre-ban.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining.

Now, reread your original post. Can you see why I was concluding you'd just come into those mags in an oppressive state, and were asking us whether you could legally use them?

GLWS. If it transpires.

Only Mec-Gar can answer that for you.

However, I don't think that this company marketed mags under their own name in the US prior to 1994. They've been around for a long time (I checked their Italian website) but I think they were OEM'g mags and putting their client's names on them pre-ban.

Also, that packaging looks like current packaging and I suspect the packaging pre-ban may have been different. Again, the company should be able to tell you that.

Well, I sent Mec-Gar an email last evening and included a picture that showed the magazines and their packaging and they responded to me this afternoon with the following message:

"The 226 is a 15rd magazine and we stopped making it in 1998. Anything made during the ban it will have a “Law Enforcement Only” stamping. If there is no stamping, it is a pre-ban magazine.
The P228, we stopped using the packaging in 2004. They were marked with “Law Enforcement Only” during the ban years. However we can’t guarantee that someone didn’t put a current production magazine in there because current production and pre-1994 construction is the same."

So, according to the manufacturer, it sounds like a slam-dunk that the 226 mags are pre-ban. While in theory it's "possible" someone swapped out post-ban 228 mags into these packages I find that to be quite unlikely and think it's safe to assume they are also pre-ban.

This is NES - EVERYONE here lives in Massachusetts.

[rules]

Oooookay.... since you give no indication you're not in MA, but are asking about prebans, what else would you want me to conclude?

You might conclude he is interested in selling them and if they are prebans then he could potentially find someone to pay him excessive amounts of cash for them.

You might conclude he is interested in selling them and if they are prebans then he could potentially find someone to pay him excessive amounts of cash for them.
Or..... you might more correctly conclude that I'm interested in selling them and would like to get a better idea of what they are worth to someone who wants/needs them since these are not in my area of expertise.

Or..... you might more correctly conclude that I'm interested in selling them and would like to get a better idea of what they are worth to someone who wants/needs them since these are not in my area of expertise.

Didn't mean to cast any implications. Accept my apologies.

I'll give you an example. Search the For Sale Firearm accessories.
P226 Free State Magazines for sale $25
P226 PreBan Magazines for sale $175
Draw your own conclusion.

I live in NH and I will gladly take them off your hands. But best off to go with proven, known pre bans if carrying and worrying about it.

Back
Top Bottom