Plinking in a hunting area

I live very close to some sort of Mass Wildlife area where hunting is allowed. Without a hunting license, and staying 500 feet from buildings and 150 feet from roads, is it legal to take a .22 rimfire target shooting in this area (NOT shooting at animals of any kind)?

I can't find anything that says I can't.

Thanks.

I live very close to some sort of Mass Wildlife area where hunting is allowed. Without a hunting license, and staying 500 feet from buildings and 150 feet from roads, is it legal to take a .22 rimfire target shooting in this area (NOT shooting at animals of any kind)?

I can't find anything that says I can't.

Thanks.

If it's a WMA then target shooting is not permitted. From the WMA regs section of the 2007 abstracts:
No person shall engage in target practicing without written permission from the Director or his designee.

Also, if it is a Wildlife Management Area, there should be signs posted prominantly at the entrance and parking areas noting "No target shooting."

That's why we join nice gun clubs.

Shucks. I still have to wait 2 more weeks until the meeting where I can join the club.

Ohh well. Two weeks...no shooting. [crying]

Thanks guys.

Edit: Is it all the time, or just on Sundays? I was reading the PDF and under "Prohibited", it says:
"Target Shooting on Sunday except on one’s own property
or on a recognized range."

Last edited:
Finding "undesignated" places in MA to shoot is a bitch, unless you own
tons of private property or know someone else who does. Most of
the time, sandpits and the like end up being occupied by dirtbike and ATV
types, at least whenever the weather is halfway decent. A good friend
of mine had a remote spot he wanted to try to use, but as soon as we got
there it was swarmed with ATVs.

-Mike

When I was a kid, the standard rule was you could shoot in sand and gravel pits as long as no one was working them. Things have changed.

WMA are very touchy. You have to read the fine print. That is why most people now belong to some sort of gun club. It is almost mandatory in this day and age.

True...

I don't want to accidently do anything illegal, so I guess I'll just hold off on shooting until we join the club...[sad]

Or maybe.... Feb vacation is next week. Anyone know if Winnipesaukee is frozen over? Maybe I'll go up there for some skiing and shooting. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom