• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please refresh my memory---registering firearms

IIRC there were a couple of instances that did not require a firearm to be registered in this state. I can't recall what they were.

Thanks
Adam

About the only instance I can think of is if you move here from another state. You do not have register any firearms you bring with you (Note: I do not know if that applies to FA firearms). But anything you acquire while a resident of the People's Commonwealth has to be registered.

C-pher, get in your place! [lol]

No, regrettably the ONLY guns that do not have to be "Registered" with an FA-10 are those you possess out-of-state and move into MA with (or those legally defined by MA as antiques - caution here, MA definition of antiques is DIFFERENT from BATFE definition, of course).

Inherited guns must be registered when you bring them into MA. Guns you buy/own out-of-state (you could have them at a Summer/Winter home in another state), must be registered when they "cross the line" and are brought into MA. Transfers between Family members must be registered.

NFA items that are inherited MUST first have proper paperwork and licenses obtained from BATFE and the proper MA license prior to taking possession. Until that time, they remain in possession of the executor of the estate and can't be moved/stored anywhere else legally.

CAUTION: IANAL and this is not legal advise! Here is one controversial topic related to the question at hand.
- According to MGLs, a frame is NOT a firearm and thus need not be registered on an FA-10. Nothing in MGLs requires the possessor to register the gun when the gun is finally built/finished.
- Under the prior Secretaries of Public Safety, Chief Ron Glidden espoused the info above. According to Ron, the current Secretary of Public Safety apparently "disagrees" and wants all frames filed on FA-10s and any finished guns should file FA-10s. There doesn't seem to be anything in MGLs to support this "opinion", but the intimidation factor is such that many dealers refuse to deal with frames at all, and you'll get all sorts of interpretations.
- A good legal opinion from a firearms attorney would be useful here!

When I moved to MA from CT. I brought my HKs with me,
I was told by the Firearms Bureau that they need to be registered. I was told by others that they did not need to be. I could not find any info that they needed to be. But I registered them anyways. why, because MA will do anything it can to stick it to you.

Supermoto said:
When I moved to MA from CT. I brought my HKs with me,
I was told by the Firearms Bureau that they need to be registered. I was told by others that they did not need to be. I could not find any info that they needed to be. But I registered them anyways. why, because MA will do anything it can to stick it to you.

That was NOT a good thing to do!!

FRB's position is that EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE REGISTERED! That is their biased opinion (along with the Sec. of Public Safety) and NOT supported by MGLs in any way! I have been at a couple of public forums where CHSB/FRB handed out forms for everyone to register everything they owned and they also suggested giving a copy to your PD "for your own benefit" in case anything were ever stolen. Since they computerized recorded FFL (ONLY) transactions from 1986 forward, they knew that at least half the guns out there weren't in their database (and no private transactions that were done by "blue card"), so this was a backdoor effort to intimidate people to further their goal of total registration (and eventually know where to confiscate the ones that get declared "illegal").

When someone tells you that you must do something (legal), ask for the citation in the law that requires it. Do it politely. That will usually get them backpedaling as fast as possible.

No way that they can go after people with "unregistered" guns (that aren't required to be registered), since everyone in the legal system knows that their database is flawed (note: they even keep filing bills that would require people moving in to register everything . . . to date these bills die in committee, so there is even a papertrail that acknowledges this non-issue). Even though it isn't required, there are folks like me that have every tissue-paper copy of an FA-10 for every gun I ever bought and it would make a public fool out of them if they persecuted someone for "unregistered" and they produced their own records and subpoenaed the CHSB/FRB people to testify that they only computerized SOME of the transactions. The judge would laugh them out of court, you'd probably have grounds for a civil suit against the individuals for illegal harassment, and the media would have a field day.

you mean the government lied to me. oh think of the children [roll]

LenS, thanks for the info, I wish I knew of this board when I moved here

What answer did you EXPECT?

"When I moved to MA from CT. I brought my HKs with me, I was told by the Firearms Bureau that they need to be registered."

That's Firearms RECORDS Bureau, Ace. What other answer would you reasonably expect from it, especially as it probably came from some secretary answering the phone.

Then again, your friendly neighborhood cop or ( [roll] [roll] ) dispatcher would have told you the same thing, and it all sounds rather reasonable. Anyhow, it's like asking the butcher what you should have for dinner - don't expect him to recommend the Veggie Platter at the organic store. [wink]

Scrivener said:
Then again, your friendly neighborhood cop or ( [roll] [roll] ) dispatcher would have told you the same thing,

Not necessarily. When I moved into Norwood and went to talk to the PD, their comment was "We register the owners, not the guns."

'Course, that was in 1987...

dwarven1 said:
Scrivener said:
Then again, your friendly neighborhood cop or ( [roll] [roll] ) dispatcher would have told you the same thing,

Not necessarily. When I moved into Norwood and went to talk to the PD, their comment was "We register the owners, not the guns."

'Course, that was in 1987...

FRB/CHSB didn't exist until ~1998. Back in 1987, MSP took care of the entire process and everything was in cardboard boxes, mostly covered in pigeon shit and mouse droppings at 1010 Comm Ave.

So, they weren't building an empire back in those days! And it took a super herculean effort to find a registration record with their paper system.

About 7-8 (?) years ago GOAL made a suggestion that all gun owners write to whomever was keeping these records and request a copy of all the registration forms on record for themselves. If I remember it generated a request to never do this again.

It was free when GOAL made this "recommendation". I also understand that FRB sent back a form for you to "make corrections/additions" . . . purely voluntarily I assure you! [roll]

Papers please!! [evil]

They got so buried with requests that they went to charging for this "service". Last I knew it was $20, but they probably upped it to $100 by now, they seem to like that number! [roll] [evil]

The seller is responsible for submitting the FA-10 to the state. Either a dealer, or in the case of a personal transfer, the individual who sells the gun.

No problem. We were all new at one time. Of course, having the internet and forums like this one nowadays makes the learning curve much steeper.

"Of course, having the internet and forums like this one nowadays makes the learning curve much steeper."

I respectfully disagree. BECAUSE of "the internet and forums like this one," any newbie with internet access and sufficient motivation to use GOOGLE and the SEARCH function can learn a great deal in little time, all at home. He/she will also get a lot of utter garbage, but that will at least be balanced out by info from superior sources.

Beats "learning" the usual drivel from gun shop commandos and TV nonsense. [wink]

Beats "learning" the usual drivel from gun shop commandos and TV nonsense.

A "steeper" learning curve generally means faster. That is, the amount you learn can increase quickly.

"A "steeper" learning curve generally means faster. That is, the amount you learn can increase quickly."

I see what you were driving at.

I think of "steeper" as the greater angle; hence, harder.

Which curve would you rather RUN up?

How do Christmas presents work under this system?

Santa has to register them.

Coincidentally I am buying a Walther P22 for my nine year old son for Christmas. It will be registered in my name until he is old enough to possess it himself.

FPrice said:

Santa has to register them.

Coincidentally I am buying a Walther P22 for my nine year old son for Christmas. It will be registered in my name until he is old enough to possess it himself.

Yea, I bought my two year old daughter a Chipmunk .22 for when she's six years old. But yep, it's in my name. But I'm sure that it will stay that way until she's either 18, or she has kids, or it's willed to her. But I'm sure that I'm going to use it for my kid on the way as well. And for any other kids that might show up in this family down the line.

Coyote33 said:

As Frosty said, you, as Santa, will have to register said firearm. After presenting it, given that said receipient is licensed and of age, then you can do another FA-10 to put it under his or her name.

Back
Top Bottom