• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please come right in says the New York law "retreat doctrine"

Doesn't MA also have a duty to retreat law on the books?
Back when Maahtha Cokehead was Middlesex DA she tried to get an indictment against a 19 year old who was forced to protect his mom against a live-in a-hole. The kid called 911. But police did not get there in time. He grabbed a knife and stopped the man permanently.
The grand jury was much smarter than Maahtha and issued a no bill, self defense.
Around this same time period was when that serial killer from NC was caught trying to kill the daughter in her bed while the parents were home. Had the father killed the murderer instead of just beating the crap out of him, Cokehead would have tried to charge him too.

Doesn't MA also have a duty to retreat law on the books?
Back when Maahtha Cokehead was Middlesex DA she tried to get an indictment against a 19 year old who was forced to protect his mom against a live-in a-hole. The kid called 911. But police did not get there in time. He grabbed a knife and stopped the man permanently.
The grand jury was much smarter than Maahtha and issued a no bill, self defense.
Around this same time period was when that serial killer from NC was caught trying to kill the daughter in her bed while the parents were home. Had the father killed the murderer instead of just beating the crap out of him, Cokehead would have tried to charge him too.

MA has no duty to retreat in the home! As unbelievable as it may be, there is a castle doctrine law.

Now outside the home.... Yeah, disengage and run away as fast as you can.

Ed King, the last damn good Democrat. Dig him up and have him replace Tall Deval...

I forgot about him, actually didn't know he was a dem, but I wasn't yet politically aware back then.
I remember my dad liked him, and he was a solid republican, but maybe King was the better choice in that election. I do remember high school kids at the time hated King, because he passed the law that shut down the head shops, making the sale of pot pipes and bongs illegal.

I forgot about him, actually didn't know he was a dem, but I wasn't yet politically aware back then.
I remember my dad liked him, and he was a solid republican, but maybe King was the better choice in that election. I do remember high school kids at the time hated King, because he passed the law that shut down the head shops, making the sale of pot pipes and bongs illegal.

And he was the big pusher of the law raising the drinking age to 20 (from 18).

MA has no duty to retreat in the home! As unbelievable as it may be, there is a castle doctrine law.

Unless I'm mistaken, we still do not have a castle doctrine. 278 SS 8A is the only defense we have, and that's a thin defense because it allows for the home owner to still be prosecuted...
General Law - Part IV, Title II, Chapter 278, Section 8A
Section 8A. In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

Unbelievable. I hope this DA has a similar encounter with a criminal and the DA and family pays the price for him defending a stupid law like that. What the hell is the matter with these people? The reset button really needs to be pushed.

Greg
Never happen. Remember, DAs are essentially special cops with more rights.

And while we have some protection in a criminal sense, we have ZERO protection in a civil suit brought my Mom, or any other dirtbag related to the bad guy. Don't ever forget that part.

IANAL. [smile]

Last edited:
Dukakis got the law passed in the 70's stating you must retreat from your home before using deadly force and Ed King repealed it when he beat him if I remember correctly.

I don't know if MA's law really constitutes a Castle Doctrine. Massachusetts allows for an affirmative defense in a criminal case, so if you go to trial, it's a valid defense to say "yes, I killed that person unlawfully in my home when he threatened death or great bodily harm to myself/my family". A true Castle Doctrine should never allow the case to get to court in the first place.

Interesting article, but you don't see to many Euro format cylinders in the US. At least they got the use of tension wrench and pick together somewhat right.

They should give classes on how to stage a crime scene for the most favorable outcome.

"Little to the left."
"A little more"
"Now back"
"OK, now wrap his hand around the steak knife..."
"Looks good!"
"Now, call the police dear..."

They should give classes on how to stage a crime scene for the most favorable outcome.

"Little to the left."
"A little more"
"Now back"
"OK, now wrap his hand around the steak knife..."
"Looks good!"
"Now, call the police dear..."
That's a losing game. Easy to make a mistake then UR screwed even if you were in the right. Do you even know if the hand would still be clutching the knife after being shot? How far it would fall, what the prints would look like, etc. I don't. Best to make sure the truth comes out. Not sure if it is good or bad form taking your own crime scene photos before the police show up.

The case that sparked the outrage that prompted the castle law in Ma. was a woman who's crazed ex kicked in her door and started chasing her around the house with a knife.
After stabbing slashing her at least a couple of times , she made it upstairs to where she had a gun and shot him when he cornered her in a room.
I can't for the life of me recall the name of the a-hole DA who filed charges against her.
He made some outlandish claim along the lines of she hadn't exhausted all means of escape such as diving out the second floor window .
The state hadn't completely devolved into a raging moonbat hellhole back then and people went bonkers.

That's a losing game. Easy to make a mistake then UR screwed even if you were in the right. Do you even know if the hand would still be clutching the knife after being shot? How far it would fall, what the prints would look like, etc. I don't. Best to make sure the truth comes out. Not sure if it is good or bad form taking your own crime scene photos before the police show up.

I would post all the sordid details here, wait for the brain trust to respond, act accordingly, and then call the cops. Isn’t that what everyone would do?

Interesting article, but you don't see to many Euro format cylinders in the US. At least they got the use of tension wrench and pick together somewhat right.

For any of you who, like me, were completely flabbergasted by this comment, he's referring to the lock in the photo! :p

That's why classes would be good Rob...

Dukakis got the law passed in the 70's stating you must retreat from your home before using deadly force and Ed King repealed it when he beat him if I remember correctly.

I love getting this type of info. It’s like a surgeon seeking out the primary source of metasteses. It really is a form of cancer in these vacuous bots. What utter nonsensical, backward, and unsobered thinking.

And he was the big pusher of the law raising the drinking age to 20 (from 18).

IIRC, that had to do with federal highway funds. The feds were pushing for a uniform nationwide drinking age of 21, and threatened to withhold the money from states that didn't comply. I got screwed three times on that deal. I was born in Feb of 62', right before I turned 18, Mass bumped the drinking age to 19 in Jan of 80'. Then in Jan of 81', Mass bumped it up again to 20. But in Sept of 81', I went to tech school in Ohio, which had already made their drinking age 21. So I never got to drink legally anywhere until was 21.

Castle doctrine doesn't apply anywhere if you pursue someone out into the street and beat them with a baseball bat. And how did he also get a stab wound?

Not that he didn't deserve it.

Ed King wiki page:

Preceded by: Michael Dukakis
Succeeded by: Michael Dukakis
Lieutenant: Tip Jr.

He switched to Republican in 1985, two years after leaving office.

Unless I'm mistaken, we still do not have a castle doctrine. 278 SS 8A is the only defense we have, and that's a thin defense because it allows for the home owner to still be prosecuted...
General Law - Part IV, Title II, Chapter 278, Section 8A

Never happen. Remember, DAs are essentially special cops with more rights.

And while we have some protection in a criminal sense, we have ZERO protection in a civil suit brought my Mom, or any other dirtbag related to the bad guy. Don't ever forget that part.

IANAL. [smile]

Nope. First, DAs are not cops by any means. Second, DAs really don't have that many "rights."

Up until recently, Mass ADAs and CPCS public defenders were often the lowest paid people in the courtroom, about $37-44k. Now both make around $60k starting salary with not much benefits. For example, CPCS attorneys don't get their parking expenses covered and work in buildings that don't come with parking lots. The article below is from 2018 and I know CPCS attorneys got a salary bump up to $60k since then.

Salary boost helps retain Massachusetts prosecutors

To give context, both RI and NH public defenders have been making $60-62k for some time now.

State of Rhode Island: Transparency: State of Rhode Island - Purchasing Bids

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/...efender-salary-SRCH_IL.0,10_IM522_KO11,36.htm

Cops start at around $50-60k, depending on the area of Mass. Cops are union, so they get benefits like a "company car", dry cleaning expenses, and a bunch of others. Depending on the town/state, obviously. So think about it this way: someone with an associate's or a bachelor's is paid about the same as a lawyer. Why? Cops are union and Dems love the unions and Republicans love cops. Thin Blue Line, Blue Lives Matter, etc.

Occupational Employment and Wages for Police and Firefighters in Massachusetts’ Metropolitan Areas – May 2013 : New England Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Membership benefits, Boston, MA | Massachusetts Police Association

That and prosecutors can be easily thrown out of office once there's a change due to elections. This doesn't happen in Mass so much because DA elections are not heavily contested. In RI, however, all prosecutors work for the Rhode Island Attorney General. With the new AG elected in the last election (previous one was term limited), a lot of the old prosecutors and staff got thrown out. And unlike cops, no one cares if prosecutors lose their jobs. Imagine what people would say if old cops (with pensions!!! they'll lose their pensions!!!) got thrown out due to a new chief being hired.

Nesi's Notes: Dec. 8

Now if you mean DAs have more discretion than cops in charging, I'm going to still have to say no. First, have you ever read police reports? Most have scant facts in crucial areas and the writing is a lot of passive voice and just weird lingo. Cops don't walk and see, they "proceed" and "came upon" evidence. Second, the cops chose what charges to bring and then hand the cases over to the DAs. The notion of a rogue DA charging people without an arrest is the exception, not the rule. Third, about 90-95% of criminal cases plea bargain out, so most of what happens is overcharging of charges and pleaing-out to a lesser offence. Finally, at the end of the day, most crimes are prosecuted by rookie/low level prosecutors rather than the head district attorney in an office. Those people answer to their (elected) boss.

As for the guy being prosecuted in OP, New York's going to New York. There's no concept of freedom there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a lot of examples of why we don't need cops, and less prosecutors.
No, IDGAF about cops. They're a scourge and provide no service to the People other than respond to crimes already committed and generate revenue for the oligarchy. They are gutless lapdogs for the oligarchy.

Prosecutors don't do their jobs when aforementioned thugs commit crimes. So you're correct, DAs aren't cops; they protect cops.

So while I can appreciate your links and insight, I still DGAF about cops or a system that is designed to f**k me, "because it can".

Back
Top Bottom