1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

plated vs.poly

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gerrycaruso, Aug 15, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

1. gerrycaruso

gerrycaruso NES Member

Has anyone switched from plated to polymer coated? I'm looking at Black Bullets, Blue Bullets and Precision Bullets. Does anyone have experience with any of them?

andrew1220 likes this.

2. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

3. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

All I use is blue bullets for 9mm. Loaded and shot tens of thousands of their 147 gr RN.
    Plenty of 5% off coupon codes for blues too.

4. EddieZoom

EddieZoom NES Member

Yes, yes, yes and yes ;-)

Only load/shoot poly coated bullets. Mostly 9mm, but also 40 and 45. Been using Precision (black bullets out of Texas) for a few years. Recently bought a batch of both Blue and Black (BBI). Switching from plated you'll find yourself tweaking the bell/crimp to make sure your not shaving the coating off....other than that all have been good to go.

andrew1220 likes this.
  5. SJan

SJan

Other than jacketed, I have loaded with Berrys plated and Xtreme plated, Blue bullets, Acme, SNS, BBI, Bayou, Precision, PC, Badman, Eggleston, and Ibejihead coated.

I now use Ibejihead almost exclusively. Their weight and sizing is extremely consistent, and their coating is superior to most.

6. Cuz

Cuz NES Member

SJan,
    What weight and bullet shape are you Shooting in your 9mm PCC?

Thanks,
    Cuz

7. TrashcanDan

TrashcanDan NES Member

I used p.c'd, then went back to plated in 230's .45 acp. Found it fed better in the 1911 than p.c'd and didn't get the powder residue on the feed ramp. Less buildup on the forcing cone on the 625.
    Switched from plated 158's to 160 rn Black Bullets Intl for .38 spl. for the 627. No real gain in speed-reloads (6 .45's w/ rn's plop faster in a moon than 8 .38's on a moon). No real advatage other than cost over 10,000.

8. SJan

SJan

147g, FP BB NLG.

9. Cuz

Cuz NES Member

Thanks. I figure I’m more than a year away from needing to order more bullet heads, unless my kids start shooting more. I’ll have to reconsider switching from 124gr to 147gr when that time comes. It does seem that many of the serious 9mm shooters have already made that transition. I’m always at the back of the curve...