• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$$ of coated vs plated

Status
Not open for further replies.
After searching virtually all sites, I find it odd that plated are in most cases cheaper than the Hi Tek or similar, and the plated companies offer free shipping. For me that's a deal breaker. So far the only company even close to plated pricing is xxxxxxxxxxxxs. Everyone is close but the then shipping is a killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using 230 grain .45acp bullets as an example. Polymer coated are $105/k and plated are $116/k. Both include shipping and the polymer coated go down a little in price if I buy more than a thousand at a time. I think xxxxx s come out to around $108/k

I'm using 230 grain .45acp bullets as an example. Polymer coated are $105/k and plated are $116/k. Both include shipping and the polymer coated go down a little in price if I buy more than a thousand at a time. I think Blue Bullets come out to around $108/k

What brand polymer you shooting? the other issue is some of the cheaper places wont ship to Ma either, forgot to mention that. Like SNS Casting wont ship if I remember correctly.

I might be wrong but I would think most places offering plated bullets have been doing it longer than anyone Hytech type coatings.
I don't know what the prices differences are. I cast my own bullets but if the cast bullets plated or coated are running around 10-12 cents each that's pretty cheap. Soup to nuts not including any labor cost I'm casting bullets for about .05 each. I have lots of time to cast and load though.

Not knowing what brands you are looking at:
If you are using cost as the only factor, why are you implying that the plated bullet is any better quality than the coated ?

If you are using cost as the only factor, why are you implying that the plated bullet is any better quality than the coated ?

In my experience plated bullets definitely don't shoot as well as coated. Though it isn't very noticeable until you're shooting at distances greater than 10-15 yards.

I haven't used enough of the coated to really compare vs plated.

Not sure what you're using for plated bullets that they're cheaper -- please share!

I had a box of 3000 147gr XXXXXXXXXXXXX 9mm on my doorstep today, I paid $213.75 shipped for it, or $0.07125/ea. Their 115gr are $0.0633/ea (buying in bulk and utilizing the 5% forum member sponsorship)

Xxx is the cheapest I know of for plated, and for comparison is $255/3000 shipped ($0.085 ea) for 147gr and $304/4000 ($0.076 ea) for 115gr.

In my experience plated bullets definitely don't shoot as well as coated. Though it isn't very noticeable until you're shooting at distances greater than 10-15 yards.

I've come to the same conclusion. 32 and 45 ACP shoot well for me, but .357 and .44 not so much. Even with dedicated taper dies for the plated cannelure-less cases, coated lead shoots much better.

I don't want to watch this all night, so I'm closing it.

With our AG suing everybody she can get her hands on, I really wish you folks would be more careful about what you post.

You guys should know better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom