• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

boat tail vs. flat base

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I've been reading that flat base bullets are more accurate, less sensitive and cause less barrel erosion than boat tail but boat tails are so much easier to load. Has anyone seen a difference in accuracy within 300 yards?

Loading up flat based cast 308 bullets in a Dillon 550 is a pain in the ass. I’ve been loading up some x39 and getting them to seat is a pain.

Benchrest shooters for shorter ranges do tend to use flatbase bullets as they tend to ‘go to sleep’ (more stabil) sooner than boattails. That’s all the too guys from the Damariscotta, ME Club used to 200-yards.

With that said, I always factor in my cartridge/caliber and distance 1st, then I make my bullet weight or type decision. Like w/ 5.56mm, many guys jump right to the 75s, but then they shoot < 600-yds (ReadingR&R).

I get outstanding results using the SMK 69s load developed by the OCW method … so why incur the added expense of the heavies, when the target’s already dead? Haha!

Comes down to many factors
All my reloads are more accurate than I can deliver.
What is advantage of a BT to begin with.
I have so many thoughts
If your shooting enough to worry about barrel wear your probably shooting enough to afford a new barrel anyway?
Or saving enough reloading to afford a new barrel.
I shoot 98.895% 600 yards or less with 200 being the most.
So the best price option gets the knod. I have been using 125 gn flat base 30 cal in the M1, M1a and 30 cal rifles for 200.

125 grain sees light but why argue with success? Is there a specific bullet you use?
What ever is on sale when I need them, picked up fewcouple Ks of these while back .14 ea shipped
on clearance IIRC outdoors limited ? For 200 yards hunting a 3 MOA 10 ring they are fine. Light recoil also. Before these it was the barnes burners. image.jpg

Flat base bullets are probably more accurate inside of 200 yards. Beyond that, I believe the boattail gets you better bc's, which is always better.
300 yards? I'd shoot boattails.

I've been reading that flat base bullets are more accurate, less sensitive and cause less barrel erosion than boat tail but boat tails are so much easier to load. Has anyone seen a difference in accuracy within 300 yards?
the boattail gets you better bc's, which is always better.

Brian Litz makes a distinction regarding precision and accuracy regarding boat tail projectiles with boat tails potentially producing less precision. But, as Pat notes, BC being a tradeoff.

A couple of excerpts from :

1707077887632.png

excerpt B. Litz, pp 337:
1707077622014.png

1707077655823.png

excerpt B. Litz, pp 338:
1707077730414.png

excerpt B. Litz,pp 339:

1707077843842.png

The Brian Litz series of books are a good reference to have on-hand. Lots of actionable and theoretical information.

edit: short range here is likely something inside of 500 yards. I'm not certain if Litz demarcs at what distance he considers long range -v- short range. Personally, I've considered 500-600 yards as a rule of thumb.

Last edited:
what caliber are you shooting ? Out to 300 it may not matter all that much and flat base may be considerably less money.

Back
Top Bottom