Plated .308 Win bullets hurt barrel?

Worrying about the max velocity of a bullet and ignoring basic reloading safety is a mistake of the worst kind.

Others have mentioned the IMR 4895 vs. H4895. For reduced loads you can use H4895 or Trail Boss. Stop using the IMR 4895 for this.

So for a 150 grain bullet the .308 minimum 'reduced load' should be 60% of the listed max of 45.5 grains (0.6 X 45.5 = 27.3) assuming a Nosler BT bullet. Other bullets could have a slightly higher max (I have edited this to reflect the lower max). Some of your reduced loads were way below this.

Going below the listed minimums is likely to create a variety of safety problems, one of which could be deadly.

First, below minimum loads that burn 'normally' are unlikely to generate enough pressure to seal the case against the chamber. The gas will escape around the bolt and probably at your face. If you are not wearing eye protection, this could be a life changing oops.

The second problem is a most serious one, and just because you got away with it once or many times doesn't mean that it won't happen eventually. Cartridge powders are 'propellants' that will burn at a given controlled rate (deflagration). Under normal safe conditions they do not explode (detonate). However, if loaded under the minimum there is significant potential for the ignited powder to reach Deflagration to Detonation Transition. In other words, it will detonate / explode. Your rifle chamber is not designed to contain an explosion which will essentially blow it up. You could shoot dozens of loads like this and falsely conclude they are safe- until one detonates. This could be a life ending oops.

Wish you listed your general location because NFW would I ever want to be on the same firing line as you and those loads. Failing to follow basic reloading instructions and apply second grade-level math could get you or someone nearby killed. If you do not have a bullet puller buy one now and pull every bullet you have loaded and dump the powder. When you go back to the reloading press, NEVER load below the H4895 minimum reduced charge.

Last edited:
Worrying about the max velocity of a bullet and ignoring basic reloading safety is a mistake of the worst kind.

Others have mentioned the IMR 4895 vs. H4895. For reduced loads you can use H4895 or Trail Boss. Stop using the IMR 4895 for this.

So for a 150 grain bullet the .308 minimum 'reduced load' should be 60% of the listed max of 45.5 grains (0.6 X 45.5 = 27.3) assuming a Nosler BT bullet. Other bullets could have a slightly higher max (I have edited this to reflect the lower max). Some of your reduced loads were way below this.

Going below the listed minimums is likely to create a variety of safety problems, one of which could be deadly.

First, below minimum loads that burn 'normally' are unlikely to generate enough pressure to seal the case against the chamber. The gas will escape around the bolt and probably at your face. If you are not wearing eye protection, this could be a life changing oops.

The second problem is a most serious one, and just because you got away with it once or many times doesn't mean that it won't happen eventually. Cartridge powders are 'propellants' that will burn at a given controlled rate (deflagration). Under normal safe conditions they do not explode (detonate). However, if loaded under the minimum there is significant potential for the ignited powder to reach Deflagration to Detonation Transition. In other words, it will detonate / explode. Your rifle chamber is not designed to contain an explosion which will essentially blow it up. You could shoot dozens of loads like this and falsely conclude they are safe- until one detonates. This could be a life ending oops.

Wish you listed your general location because NFW would I ever want to be on the same firing line as you and those loads. Failing to follow basic reloading instructions and apply second grade-level math could get you or someone nearby killed. If you do not have a bullet puller buy one now and pull every bullet you have loaded and dump the powder. When you go back to the reloading press, NEVER load below the H4895 minimum reduced charge.
Yikes, I didn't even catch that he's loading 20+ gr under the starting charge for a 150 gr bullets. The OP, are you new to reloading? You may want to take a class and/or do more research before you injure yourself.

Yikes, I didn't even catch that he's loading 20+ gr under the starting charge for a 150 gr bullets. The OP, are you new to reloading? You may want to take a class and/or do more research before you injure yourself.
Definitely yikes, but at least the OP was asking questions and posting details.

@ttk9801 - While I am not inclined to tone down my rhetoric regarding the seriousness of going so far beyond specified safe load data, glad you were asking questions and gave your loads, even if the questions were the wrong ones. Those questions and the discussion led to discovery of the unsafe loads. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned the easy way. I'd double check that max velocity rating on your bullets. If correct, the only way to get that slow might be with Trail Boss.

Reduced 308 Winchester loads with TRAIL BOSS!

Trail-Boss-308-win-loads-150-and-168-table.png

Last edited:
Definitely yikes, but at least the OP was asking questions and posting details.

@ttk9801 - While I am not inclined to tone down my rhetoric regarding the seriousness of going so far beyond specified safe load data, glad you were asking questions and gave your loads, even if the questions were the wrong ones. Those questions and the discussion led to discovery of the unsafe loads. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned the easy way. I'd double check that max velocity rating on your bullets. If correct, the only way to get that slow might be with Trail Boss.

Reduced 308 Winchester loads with TRAIL BOSS!

Trail-Boss-308-win-loads-150-and-168-table.png
WARNING : Do not over fill cases with trail boss , no compressed loads.

I like it as it fills a large portion of the case its only down size is velocity tops out quickly at around 1400 fps or so. I do get very consistent deviation though
I use TB with gallery loads moatly

@Mountain @andrewCZ
Good news 1: I am still alive and well
Good news 2: Those tests were from a few years ago and I don't have those reloads any more (but I still have 900+ plated bullets, which is why I asked questions)
Good news 3: I learnt a few things by posting the questions and stated a research/investigation on the under-minimum load risks.

Thank you both and all others for the info.

@Mountain @andrewCZ
Good news 1: I am still alive and well
Good news 2: Those tests were from a few years ago and I don't have those reloads any more (but I still have 900+ plated bullets, which is why I asked questions)
Good news 3: I learnt a few things by posting the questions and stated a research/investigation on the under-minimum load risks.

Thank you both and all others for the info.
LOL glad you are alive and well!

That max velocity you listed for the plated bullets seemed low but I checked Berry's and they list their 300 BLK plated bullets at only 1300 fps max. If your bullets are from years ago perhaps they predate 300 BLK but may be intended for other 30 cal cartridges, though even 30-30 is going to be around 2000 fps at min load for most powders. If those projectiles are indeed limited to 1200 fps it seems that your only option is Trail Boss. In .308 the 10 - 11 grams of Trail Boss will go a long way vs. your typical full load of standard powders.

Anyway, I think you now understand the risks involved with going below the minimums.

What can happen with pushing plated bullets to 1500+ fps velocities is you run the risk of blowing the plating off as the bullet exits the barrel from the spin. This is a situation I have to be aware of when choosing bullets for my S&W 460 mag . the 460 mag is capable of sending a 200 gr bullet at over 2000 fps. I can use plated .452 but need to keep the velocity <1300 .

LOL glad you are alive and well!

That max velocity you listed for the plated bullets seemed low but I checked Berry's and they list their 300 BLK plated bullets at only 1300 fps max. If your bullets are from years ago perhaps they predate 300 BLK but may be intended for other 30 cal cartridges, though even 30-30 is going to be around 2000 fps at min load for most powders. If those projectiles are indeed limited to 1200 fps it seems that your only option is Trail Boss. In .308 the 10 - 11 grams of Trail Boss will go a long way vs. your typical full load of standard powders.

Anyway, I think you now understand the risks involved with going below the minimums.
I started reloading 9mm plated bullets for a few years and then I purchased these .308 plated bullets without realizing the velocity limitations. I will seriously look into the TB powder recipe and hope I can find TB powder somewhere.

I am not rich or famous but I am always a lucky man. I am glad that I got these bullets because otherwise I wouldn't have learnt what I got from these discussions. Now I am on my way to be a better reloader.

again, many thanks...

What can happen with pushing plated bullets to 1500+ fps velocities is you run the risk of blowing the plating off as the bullet exits the barrel from the spin. This is a situation I have to be aware of when choosing bullets for my S&W 460 mag . the 460 mag is capable of sending a 200 gr bullet at over 2000 fps. I can use plated .452 but need to keep the velocity <1300 .
From multiple sources, it appears that the max velocity for plated bullets is indeed around 1200-1300fps.Therefore, plated bullets are good for 9mm/38spl/357mag etc.

From multiple sources, it appears that the max velocity for plated bullets is indeed around 1200-1300fps.Therefore, plated bullets are good for 9mm/38spl/357mag etc.
It depends. I shoot Xtreme plated 240 gr bullets in my 44 mag 14.5" desert eagle and I've recovered the bullets - don't look like they've been fired. Velocities were 1500+ fps. But it may be the polygonal rifling of the DE that doesn't cause much damage to the bullets?
f06fdb29-059c-4f34-99dc-c6e48b7d9f7a-jpeg.607583

Oddly, I saw that Berry's 458 SOCOM 350 grain bullets are good to 2000 fps. That's interesting because the much bigger bullet should have much higher centrifugal force on its perimeter for any given RPM. Perhaps the standard barrels typically have a slower twist at 1:14.

Pull-down .308 / 7.62 milsurp projectiles are a cheap plinking / range blasting option and won't have that super low speed limit.

Can post a picture of the specific bullet manufactures part number.
Plated bullet manufactures have been making thin plated and thick plated bullets for some time.
Berry’s thick plated 150gn 30 cal are good to 2000 fps

Very dependent if manufacture specific data.
Lots if thin plated pistol bullets are indeed limited to 1250fps or so

Can post a picture of the specific bullet manufactures part number.
Plated bullet manufactures have been making thin plated and thick plated bullets for some time.
Berry’s thick plated 150gn 30 cal are good to 2000 fps
This is a link to the manufacture's product
308 30 Cal 150gr FP Plated Bullets

It does not mention max velocity. I think I got 1250fps max velocity from some online search/discussions.
I sent email(s) to Everglades Ammo requesting velocity specifications (or any related info) but they do not respond to my emails.

It depends. I shoot Xtreme plated 240 gr bullets in my 44 mag 14.5" desert eagle and I've recovered the bullets - don't look like they've been fired. Velocities were 1500+ fps. But it may be the polygonal rifling of the DE that doesn't cause much damage to the bullets?
f06fdb29-059c-4f34-99dc-c6e48b7d9f7a-jpeg.607583
I believe Xtreme was offering what they called "heavy plating" on some of the potentially higher velocity calibers. I checked their site and i'm not seeing those bullets offered.

This is a link to the manufacture's product
308 30 Cal 150gr FP Plated Bullets

It does not mention max velocity. I think I got 1250fps max velocity from some online search/discussions.
I sent email(s) to Everglades Ammo requesting velocity specifications (or any related info) but they do not respond to my emails.
Lame they did not respond, do they even make the bullets?

Hi,

I got some Everglades "plated" .308 Win bullets (with max velocity around 1250fps). I am wondering if it is ok to shoot these reloads assuming the velocity is within the max range? Would it cause barrel leading? I have been shooting it in a cheap .308 rifle and have not yet tried in my more expensive rifle.

Thank you for any info.
All said and done I personally would push them until you see signs of jacket, failure, or accuracy drops off. I shoot a lot of cash bullets out of the old military rifles mostly 30 Cal my best accuracy consistent groups falls right into that 1600 to 1750’/s

This might be of some help. Typically with plated bullets (pistol or rifle ) I use lead data. View attachment 706002
Problem is OP is operating out side published data and his powder most likely will not be listed for cast loads.
Hes also operating on a 1250 fps limit on his particular bullet.

So far no actual manufacture data on his particular bullet or load has been provided.

Assumption is the bullet he had are thin plated and for sub sonic use?

the bullet manufacture (Evergladesammo.com) did not reply inquiry emails and also blocks question posting on their product review page. So, I still don't have a good plan on how to best use these (about 1000 round) bullets. Time will tell.

the bullet manufacture (Evergladesammo.com) did not reply inquiry emails and also blocks question posting on their product review page. So, I still don't have a good plan on how to best use these (about 1000 round) bullets. Time will tell.
My guess is everglades does not make those bullets. Load them up to 1600 ish fps and see how they group and check for fouling.

Or pick up some trail boss and load up some subsonic gallery loads. I load up crappy pulled 147s with Trailboss to about 1050 fps great for informal plinking at random stuff inside 100 yards

Back
Top Bottom