• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading Plated Bullets

Can you roll crimp a bullet without a channelure? Tempted to try some plated 357 bullets but am not sure if I can sufficiently crimp with my roll crimp dies. Anyone have experience with this?

Using in a lever gun maybe?

Yeah I wasn't sure because he only gave the bullet weight. If it's for revolver, taper crimp is fine in my experience for .357.

I've never owned a tube fed lever action, but I guess it would make sense there for preventing setback.

Can you roll crimp a bullet without a channelure? Tempted to try some plated 357 bullets but am not sure if I can sufficiently crimp with my roll crimp dies. Anyone have experience with this?

Yes.
Roll crimp away, just don't over do it, it'll cut into the plating and shed. Its happened to me with a "I'll show you , you dirty litte shit" roll crimp.

Yes, you can, I normally crimp lightly on my 38 specials. I've loaded and shot Berry's 158gr RN for years. You need to pull a couple after crimping to make sure you don't break through the plating. Also, I think I remember that with Berry's plated, they recommended keeping the velocity below 1200fps to keep the plating from separating from the bullet when firing. You'll need to check if the brand you are using has similar suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom