• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plate Carriers, Armor and Spalling

that, friends, is why you don't wear that mild steel and get shot at.

in for next range trip btw. we need to put pig organs inside ballistic gel or some shit and put them behind our plates. see if we can cause some real deal trauma on them.

Picked up some duck canvas at Joann fabrics. It was about 5.50 a yd and 2 yds will do 3 plates. Going to tape it up tonight and hopefully shoot it next SUnday to verify that it works.

Holy shit Gorilla tape is awesome. That stuff sticks like mad. I never used it before because I dont like the glue but I am sold on the tape.

Mine are just standard L3 military plates. They don't get sold with a material description but I assume based on lack of deformation they are at least AR550, if not AR600 equivalent. I have AR500 target plates that I made with certified plate I personally purchased and they deform (crater) when you shoot them with M855.

Mine are just standard L3 military plates. They don't get sold with a material description but I assume based on lack of deformation they are at least AR550, if not AR600 equivalent. I have AR500 target plates that I made with certified plate I personally purchased and they deform (crater) when you shoot them with M855.

So if someone is shooting M855 at me and I have AR500 plates on I should probably move and/or leave the scene? I need to write this down.

It will stop the round, but it's going to dent and crater a 1/4" plate. This is going to cause a lot more localized blunt force trauma.

If someone is shooting you at all, you should be worried. Also they're probably not going to tell you what kind of ammo they're using. Also I'm not certain that 1/4" AR500 will stop .308 M80 ball ammo. It might go through.

If someone is shooting you at all, you should be worried.

Makes sense - especially if they're trying to shoot you somewhere other than your plates. That's why I like to tilt the odds a little bit in my favor by going topless under my vest and painting my whole plate carrier flesh color, complete with painted on nipples and chest/back hair. I want it to look as inviting a target as possible so they don't try any headshots.

Also they're probably not going to tell you what kind of ammo they're using. Also I'm not certain that 1/4" AR500 will stop .308 M80 ball ammo. It might go through

Can't you see the green tips going by, assuming they miss with the first few shots? And re: M80, you say you're not certain, and that it might go through, but that sounds like lawyer talk to me. I'll take my chances with the .308, and will only run away if the bullets coming at me look green.

the most devastating round was the M80 for sure. it was putting some serious hurt on the plates we shot at. it stopped the rounds, but trauma galore on the other side. was surprised at the effectiveness, or lack thereof of the 7.62x54R steel core i brought along.

explains how this guy was able to survive most likely. he was probably being shot at by a PSL/dragunov and they weren't using the good shit for ammo.

[video=youtube_share;c-UNFSZ8VKU]http://youtu.be/c-UNFSZ8VKU?t=1m15s[/video]

mute if you don't want to hear about the allah snackbar.

When you can get ceramic level 4 stand alone plates for $150 each, what's the advantage to steel? Is it a durability issue or a cost issue?

I personally went with ceramic over steel after seeing tests with cracked plates that still stopped every threat. However, I spend extra anxiety babying them and keeping them protected (they're supposed to protect me!) So I can see the appeal of steel. Weight was the ultimate deciding factor for me.

It will stop the round, but it's going to dent and crater a 1/4" plate. This is going to cause a lot more localized blunt force trauma.

If someone is shooting you at all, you should be worried. Also they're probably not going to tell you what kind of ammo they're using. Also I'm not certain that 1/4" AR500 will stop .308 M80 ball ammo. It might go through.

This is consistent with what I saw with M855 on the 6x6" plates I tested out of the sets that I bought. Stop the round, make a small indentation that you can feel if not always see on the backside. I imagine that enough rounds in the same spot would eventually get through, but I don't know why you're standing there letting somebody else work on their group size.

SO is there a backer or something you can put behind these to improve them and lessen the trauma? I figure a bruise and some trauma beats the alternative. What about an old Kevlar vest panel?

SO is there a backer or something you can put behind these to improve them and lessen the trauma? I figure a bruise and some trauma beats the alternative. What about an old Kevlar vest panel?

yes, but you're talking about absorbing the kind of force that can put a decent size dent in 3/8" steel. that's a LOT of force to soak up. my TT carrier has some padding built in to the panels, but i don't know how that would react to getting shot... and i am not gonna test it. [laugh]

yes, but you're talking about absorbing the kind of force that can put a decent size dent in 3/8" steel. that's a LOT of force to soak up. my TT carrier has some padding built in to the panels, but i don't know how that would react to getting shot... and i am not gonna test it. [laugh]

You're running 3/8" plates? And you haven't super troopered it yet? [wink]

Old kevlar vest panel? What about a kevlar vest? The plates I have require IIIa support, so I wear my kevlar with them anyway, but it might be a viable option for those of you with steel plates, too.

You're running 3/8" plates? And you haven't super troopered it yet? [wink]

HOW 'YA FEELIN, MAC?

Old kevlar vest panel? What about a kevlar vest? The plates I have require IIIa support, so I wear my kevlar with them anyway, but it might be a viable option for those of you with steel plates, too.

i've considered soft armor underneath as i don't have it in my carrier. also at least soft armor for the lady--plates would be a bit much for her, that's why i sold the 2nd carrier.

i already know she can run with a chest rig and six mags at least. [laugh]

related to an earlier question: http://bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Concealable.shtml#Trauma_Plates

trauma plates. but you're looking at adding almost another pound with just one, over a pound with two. keep in mind it might not sound like much, but if you're a dude my size when you're carrying 30+ lbs of gear... extra pounds make a difference.

Last edited:
HOW 'YA FEELIN, MAC?

i've considered soft armor underneath as i don't have it in my carrier. also at least soft armor for the lady--plates would be a bit much for her, that's why i sold the 2nd carrier.

i already know she can run with a chest rig and six mags at least. [laugh]

related to an earlier question: http://bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Concealable.shtml#Trauma_Plates

trauma plates. but you're looking at adding almost another pound with just one, over a pound with two. keep in mind it might not sound like much, but if you're a dude my size when you're carrying 30+ lbs of gear... extra pounds make a difference.

RE: Soft armor....unless you're running "supported" plates, like I am, you don't need soft armor. IV+ will stop handgun rounds. I was just thinking from a mere cushioning standpoint. And spall protection. Plus, if you have to ditch your plate carrier for some reason, you'd still have some armor on.

officially i think my plates are IIIA, i have the test somewhere. don't believe they tested with .30-06 but i know they will stop multiple .308 strikes.

i am considering dumping side plates permanently. i'm too small and the weight is just too much. considering replacing them with lightweight carbon nanotube IIIA "plates".

might take shots at the steel side plates for the luls. that's as close as i'm gonna get to actually testing the plates in my vest.

officially i think my plates are IIIA, i have the test somewhere. don't believe they tested with .30-06 but i know they will stop multiple .308 strikes.

i am considering dumping side plates permanently. i'm too small and the weight is just too much. considering replacing them with lightweight carbon nanotube IIIA "plates".

might take shots at the steel side plates for the luls. that's as close as i'm gonna get to actually testing the plates in my vest.

Level III. IIIA is a pistol rating.

I would do some research on the nanotubes before you buy.

Level III. IIIA is a pistol rating.

I would do some research on the nanotubes before you buy.

i just see "IIIA" and "lightweight", haha. it's protection, granted not from rifle--but then it's like "well why run them at all? chances are if i am wearing this shit someone with a rifle is trying to kill me."

considering something along the lines of this for the lady: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/30...mor-level-iiia-front-panel-500d-cordura-nylon

it's protection, but only up to .44mag. a single plate carrier with steel in it might be the better choice, but it's much harder for a lady with this shit than for us d00dz.

I don't get the whole SAPI cut soft armor thing.

Spend a little money and get some concealable soft armor and put it in here...

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCS-NIJ-II-Carrier-BCS-NIJII.htm

Then add rifle plates if you feel the need. If you want mags hanging off your chest, add a chest rig, you will be able to use it with out the armor if you want to with different levels of armor and gear. This makes the most sense to me because I am only a full time operator while fapping to COD7MW4BLACKCOPS.

I don't get the whole SAPI cut soft armor thing.

Spend a little money and get some concealable soft armor and put it in here...

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCS-NIJ-II-Carrier-BCS-NIJII.htm

Then add rifle plates if you feel the need. If you want mags hanging off your chest, add a chest rig, you will be able to use it with out the armor if you want to with different levels of armor and gear. This makes the most sense to me because I am only a full time operator while fapping to COD7MW4BLACKCOPS.

can't rep moar at the moment, but thanks for that link--doze be cheep. i like cheap.

cheap vest and i can split up the plates if necessary and just give the lady my rear plate, or buy her a chest plate/a set.

Back
Top Bottom