Plate Carrier Recommendation

I just looked at Spartan 4’s. They do call it ceramic but it’s very light for ceramic. I’m wondering why that is? Ceramic is solid like metal, not like lightweight/soft/composite type material. I have Spartan 3 ceramic plates that are just under 9 pounds…..
The whole song selling point of ceramic is that it's lighter than metal.

Composite just means it's made of multiple materials. Carbon fiber is a composite. It's plenty hard.

UHMWPE is a polymer. Literally the same as cutting boards. Also, hard if they want it to be.

Soft, to most English speakers, basically equates to flexible. It has nothing to do with weight.

AR500 is heavy because it's steel. Not because it's rigid.

[Edit - fixing swypo]

Last edited:
The whole song point of ceramic is that it's lighter than metal.

Composite just means it's made of multiple materials. Carbon fiber is a composite. It's plenty hard.

UHMWPE is a polymer. Literally the same as cutting boards. Also, hard if they want it to be.

Soft, to most English speakers, basically equates to flexible. It has nothing to do with weight.

AR500 is heavy because it's steel. Not because it's rigid.
I’m strapping my metal and ceramic plates to my truck!!!😂

Don't worry, whatever you buy will be just fine for collecting dust in the closet like the majority of all of ours are doing.
screenshot_20221123_202021_instagram-jpg.690094

as others have said it's really about what youre doing with it. I wanted a nice Crye just because they were sexy but I ended up with a Condor because I'm realistic. I needed something for a class I was doing where I could access multiple magazines quickly. I could have got away with something much less but I'm not sad about my closet accessory :) It will be there when I need it again.

I got mine at MILITARY ★ TACTICAL ★ SURVIVAL in Cranston RI. It was nice to be able to try them on and talk to someone before I decided.

Are you sure the soft armor was 3+ and not 3A? There’s a big difference.

Correct. Level 3+ is usually a hard plate and will stop some rifle rounds. 3A is soft armor and will stop up to a 44 Mag.

I did a significant amount of research a year ago when I replaced my plate carrier with 3+ plates. I did not find any soft armor rated at 3+

From the Protector Capitol website:

Level III+ body armor is a way for ballistic armor manufacturers to show their customers that their armor will stop more than the NIJ-Listed requirement of an M80 bullet in some way, shape or form. For example, all of our Duritium® Level III+ plates will stop a 5.56x45mm (M193), a 7.62x39mm, and the M80 (. 308 Win).

Level III+ armor means that the armor is NIJ-Listed at Level III, but it also prevents other calibers (special threats) that are not covered by the standard.

Back in 2020 I took a bunch of classes that included 2 person house clearing from a Home Defense perspective and one in Team Dynamics that involved using a 4 person stack to clear buildings. I needed a plate carrier and plates for the course. Being a skinflint I went on eBay and bought a Tactical Scorpion 4 piece Level III+ AR500 plates and plate carrier vest for slightly more than $200. After 3 or 4 days wearing the rig 8 - 10 hours a day I knew I didn't want to be carrying around all that weight and bulk in a cheap Molle carrier.

A year ago I was going to take some classes and I needed armor. I needed something for pistol rounds so I decided to get soft armor. After a fair amount of research and looking at the prices and how much I will actually use it I settled on a Bullet Safe Level IIIA vest. Never regretted the choice.

Last edited:
I want something new, I have a bulletproofme.com carrier for my level III HDPE plates. It's...OK, but I wouldn't want to wear it all day loaded down with mags and such. I am thinking about this PC, it has a yoke-style suspension system like my hill people gear pack, which is the most comfortable backpack I have ever owned:

TacTec® Plate Carrier

5.11 Tactical - TacTec® Plate Carrier Storm (092) Alt View #3

as others have said it's really about what youre doing with it. I wanted a nice Crye just because they were sexy but I ended up with a Condor because I'm realistic. I needed something for a class I was doing where I could access multiple magazines quickly. I could have got away with something much less but I'm not sad about my closet accessory :) It will be there when I need it again.

I got mine at MILITARY ★ TACTICAL ★ SURVIVAL in Cranston RI. It was nice to be able to try them on and talk to someone before I decided.
I have beaten the piss out of my condor carrier and it is still going strong. It’s not even faded.

If condor is an airsoft brand, what do airsofters do?… they run around the woods every weekend playing G.I. Joe actually using their gear and having it out in the elements.

What does a typical Gucci gun owner do?….
They drop a $1000+ on a carrier and plates from places like crye and they don’t even train, not even on the flat range with it.

There is nothing wrong with airsoft type gear

I dont really see the advantage of buying condor or any of the budget shit when you can have one of the best carriers to ever hit the market for $30 more.

Buy something you'll want to put on and train in, otherwise it will end up at the bottom of your closet.

If you're budget minded and thinking of skimping on armor, buy a good chest rig instead.

I dont really see the advantage of buying condor or any of the budget shit when you can have one of the best carriers to ever hit the market for $30 more.

Buy something you'll want to put on and train in, otherwise it will end up at the bottom of your closet.

If you're budget minded and thinking of skimping on armor, buy a good chest rig instead.
That's an insanely good price.

How much do you want to spend on a carrier?

What (if anything) do you want to have attached to it?

Your size and weight would also help because if your 5'6" and 130lbs the recommendations are not the same as someone who is 6'0" 220lbs.

What is you application/purposes?

Full LARPtastic in the basement? Covert? Full Combat loadout for WW3?

There is lots of good stuff out there — some of the cheaper rigs will work just fine, so don’t let guys poor-shame you — an entry-level $50 Condor carrier with real good quality plates is better than a $250 PC with cheap crap plates (less expensive typically = less quality/durability). You can then upgrade the carrier and get a second set of plates for a family member/neighbor, etc. and repurpose your less expensive PC as a backup/spare. Note, a decent chest rig is good too, if you’re looking to carry gear without the weight of plates and you’re on a budget.

Here are a few PCs to consider

My apologies for asking a question and then disappearing for a couple of days...
As far as what to spend, I don't really know. I'm not aware of the market or what is considered a good value versus overprices vs cheap. I don't know if a Crye JPC at $130 is a great buy versus something else.
I'd likely attach some magazines and IFAK. I don't know what else I would want hanging off of it.
6'1" ~200#
For application, again, I really can't pinpoint it to one. I won't be wearing it out to Dunkin or Big Y but it seems to be a recurring shortcoming of my prep.
I read about the weight of the plates being a major factor and I've never worn anything for more than just 'getting a fit for it' so I don't know how taxing an extra 10# of weight is for 12 hours but this is one of those scenarios where I can't se myself buying one and being satisfied with just one.

My apologies for asking a question and then disappearing for a couple of days...
As far as what to spend, I don't really know. I'm not aware of the market or what is considered a good value versus overprices vs cheap. I don't know if a Crye JPC at $130 is a great buy versus something else.
I'd likely attach some magazines and IFAK. I don't know what else I would want hanging off of it.
6'1" ~200#
For application, again, I really can't pinpoint it to one. I won't be wearing it out to Dunkin or Big Y but it seems to be a recurring shortcoming of my prep.
I read about the weight of the plates being a major factor and I've never worn anything for more than just 'getting a fit for it' so I don't know how taxing an extra 10# of weight is for 12 hours but this is one of those scenarios where I can't se myself buying one and being satisfied with just one.
10 pounds per plate for 20 pounds in a 8 hour training class is murder! There are far better options out there for less than half the weight. If you are looking for simplicity and protection against rifle rounds for the cheapest price…. Then go to eBay and get a set of the strike force 3+ plates and a condor carrier. You can go to war with that and win😂

Aside from that many options have been posted here and there are many more. My current and most practical is a TRex AC1 with shellback level 3+ plates, 3 mags in front and a TQ, Israeli Bandage, headlamp, extra pistol mag and batteries and a balaclava in the cumberbun pockets. I can wear this under a jacket or even baggy shirt and you couldn’t tell I had a lightly kitted out plate carrier on.

I also have a decked out carrier for long term SHTF and a few range toy carriers including a Condor!😂

6'1" ~200#
130 is a screaming deal for the JPC. Crye is one of the better names, and that's half-price. I paid twice that for a carrier that had more features, but isn't better. And the JPC has rifle magazine pouches built in of you don't want to buy different ones immediately.

For plates, with respect to comfort, weight is almost as important as shape. Multicurve plates that weigh a bit more will be easier to wear longer than flat ones that are lighter.

At some point, you need to decide what threats you're looking to protect against: if you're not worried about AP308, 3+ is probably enough; if you're not worried about green tip, you can go down to lvl 3.

6'1" ~200#

You're gonna be like a md-lg plate/carrier size. Im 6'/210 and i wear medium. Those jpc contract overruns are a no brainer, the jpc is like the toyota tacoma of pc's.

59002.jpeg

6'1" ~200#
Buy the JPC to start. If you have the money get some ceramic plates for it.

JPC @ $130 screams knock off to me… interested to hear how that works out.

I’ll reiterate weight of plates + gear is a huge factor (for me). I previously posted my experience in Snack’s gear-queer thread 😉

I use to run in my PC with 7.5# Lvl IV plates (AR500 Ceramics)… then I blew out my knee. While injured (pre-surgery) I tried on the PC and I could barely walk around the house with the additional 20+ lbs. (weight of plates + gear)

Oz = lbs, lbs = pain

So, here is my free internet advice for ya:

Get the highest level of threat protection you think you’ll encounter at the absolute lowest weight you can afford. Preferably, that would be a John Wick suit, but for most of us, that is a III+ special threat rifle rated plate in the sub 5lb weight (per plate).

The carrier is 100% secondary in my opinion. While a proper fitting carrier is integral to your system’s effectiveness, the plates inside are the highest cost and most essential item.

Start with plates and build your kit from there. My $0.02, as they say…

This has been a wonderful discussion and again shows the value in this forum pays dividends in multiples to the cost of membership. Thanks to all. I just ordered the JPC because of the overwhelming support for the brand and will look into plates shortly.

@Mtn_Guy it's funny you mention running with it because I was semi-planning/wanting to do the same thing. I go back and forth between an ill-fitting backback with round plates or shot to a camelback on the rear and a chest rig on the front. I'm not opposed to looking unique and trying something new with the added benefit of having it be valuable outside of the exercise would be nice.

question on the JPC: How does it do with thicker plates? My PE plates are like 1.5" thick. I wast thinking about that 5.11 carrier, but after all the glowing recommendations I am beginning to lean toward the JPC.

Back
Top Bottom