Plate Carrier Recommendation

mu2bdriver

NES Member
What's the current preferred brand/model of plate carriers? Hoplite, AR500, etc? 10x12 or 11x14, molle attachments.
Thanks in advance.

How much do you want to spend on a carrier?

What (if anything) do you want to have attached to it?

Your size and weight would also help because if your 5'6" and 130lbs the recommendations are not the same as someone who is 6'0" 220lbs.

What is you application/purposes?

Full LARPtastic in the basement? Covert? Full Combat loadout for WW3?

There is lots of good stuff out there — some of the cheaper rigs will work just fine, so don’t let guys poor-shame you — an entry-level $50 Condor carrier with real good quality plates is better than a $250 PC with cheap crap plates (less expensive typically = less quality/durability). You can then upgrade the carrier and get a second set of plates for a family member/neighbor, etc. and repurpose your less expensive PC as a backup/spare. Note, a decent chest rig is good too, if you’re looking to carry gear without the weight of plates and you’re on a budget.

Here are a few PCs to consider

Or just the new Agilite. The older K19 was super comfortable but sucked when mounting the buttstock. The shoulder straps were too thick. New Agilite K-Zero is as comfy as the K-19 AND eliminates bulky shoulder straps. Agilite is also very affordable.

It depends on what your looking for.

I own a few different brands and they are all good. I feel no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on vendors like Crye. If you are looking for something affordable and basic then Condor will do you just fine. I would definetily recommend soft armor plates and not metal and definetily level 3+ or level 4…you need to have the ability to stop steel core rifle rounds. The Unicorn Brigade ain’t playing around no more😂.

My current favorite is the AC1 from TRex arms. It’s designed for civilians and can be run slick or kitted out. There’s tons of options but don’t feel the need to have what the operators have. Spend the money on the armor!

... I would definetily recommend soft armor plates and not metal and definetily level 3+ or level 4…you need to have the ability to stop steel core rifle rounds. …

What soft armor plates are Level III+ or IV?
Typically soft armor is for pistol rated rounds only?

OP didn’t ask about plates, so I assume he has that all figured out already — but if not — I’m a fan of the new “special threat” rated rifle plates that have the ability to stop 62Gr. GT. The weight savings trade off versus Level IV makes sense to me.

I like the specs of the ShotStop Duritium GT2, although I’ve heard good things about Hesco, I just haven’t run them myself.

What soft armor plates are Level III+ or IV?
Typically soft armor is for pistol rated rounds only?

OP didn’t ask about plates, so I assume he has that all figured out already — but if not — I’m a fan of the new “special threat” rated rifle plates that have the ability to stop 62Gr. GT. The weight savings trade off versus Level IV makes sense to me.

I like the specs of the ShotStop Duritium GT2, although I’ve heard good things about Hesco, I just haven’t run them myself.

Dude, There’s tons of soft armor out there for level 3 + protection. I have shellback plates and strike force plates and hesco special threat, these are nice because they are thinner, and metal plates.

Mrgunsandgear did a review on level 3+ plates from ebay, the strike force plates and I was very Impressed with them and he is a very reputable content creator. To get into your first set of armor these are a good option for only $250 for the set.

When dudes ask about plate carriers I would assume they mean carrier and armor. That’s usually the case.

IMHO, buy once, cry once. Get the absolute lightest plates and most comfortable carrier with the protection you need or you won't wear it, or it will wear you out on a long hike/patrol etc. Think about wearing this thing all day, every day for a long time.

Dude, There’s tons of soft armor out there for level 3 + protection. I have shellback plates and strike force plates and hesco special threat, these are nice because they are thinner, and metal plates.

Mrgunsandgear did a review on level 3+ plates from ebay, the strike force plates and I was very Impressed with them and he is a very reputable content creator. To get into your first set of armor these are a good option for only $250 for the set.

When dudes ask about plate carriers I would assume they mean carrier and armor. That’s usually the case.
Are you sure the soft armor was 3+ and not 3A? There’s a big difference.

There are numerous companies that have armor that is not metal or ceramic that is rated 3, 3+ and 4.

3+ is a special plate that does not have the NIJ rating but is an excellent lightweight plate.

Limited info from the OP here. I'll throw out what I have experience with.

Condor - You're living paycheck to paycheck and you're not going to wear it that often. It's likely going to get AR500 plates and some rifle mags attached. It's going to be heavy AF and uncomfortable after 4hrs. Holding sweat and creating rubs. I have a couple. They are basically to hand to people as backups. If you want to wear this thing all the time you'll at minimum need to buy aftermarket shoulder pads for it.

Eagle - Primary Carrier. I have a much older version about 15 years old with cummerbund. I love this thing. Ceramic plates. 3 rifle mags. 2 pistol mags. A horizontal Viking Tactics pistol holster on chest. IFAK and camelback on rear. I've added 4 Crye pads to the inner rear to create an air channel and reduce sweat retention. I can an have worn this for 8-10hrs per day many days in a row for training.

Mayflower Assault - You really want a Crye CPC, but you don't make enough money and you refuse to be a poverty pony. $155. More comfortable than the Condor. Not as snug/hug of a fit as the Crye.

Tactical Tailor - You're small framed and have a hard time finding a PC that wasn't designed for the average 5'10" dude. My wife has one. She says its super comfortable. I just looked and they have a lot of PCs in their clearance section at very good prices.

Crye CPC (Cage) - Super nice full carrier. Buy once cry(e) once. For full load outs and accessories including side armor. You have money, motivation to train and you want to attend 3-7 day courses.

Crye JPC - Slicker carrier. You want to run and gun lighter with ceramic or soft armor and have maybe 2-3 rifle mags on the front.

What's the current preferred brand/model of plate carriers? Hoplite, AR500, etc? 10x12 or 11x14, molle attachments.
Thanks in advance.
It's not too late to spend a weekend reading this thread:

sure am. Soft means not metal or ceramic for the ppl that are stumped.
Found the confusion. It sounds like you're including UHMW as "soft." Everyone else seems to think of rigid polyethylene as hard.

I was about to say Safelite has their FRAS soft offerings, but just checked and it's not rated to 855...

Found the confusion. It sounds like you're including UHMW as "soft." Everyone else seems to think of rigid polyethylene as hard.

I was about to say Safelite has their FRAS soft offerings, but just checked and it's not rated to 855...

I was also wondering... I wouldnt consider any plate to be "soft" personally unless it was really exceptionally flexible.

Just looked at HESCO... while they offer IV, none of it's what I'd considered soft it's all plates.

I was also wondering... I wouldnt consider any plate to be "soft" personally unless it was really exceptionally flexible.

Just looked at HESCO... while they offer IV, none of it's what I'd considered soft it's all plates.
Same here.

Similarly, Shellback's IV is Ceramic and UHMWPE composite. Same with Spartan's, actually.

Do ceramic or polyethylene plates degrade over time? Would suck to drop a couple hundy on a set only to have it rot away while hanging up in the closet, especially if it's a spare.

Also, if I replace my ar500 plates, who wants to shoot 'em? :D

Do ceramic or polyethylene plates degrade over time? Would suck to drop a couple hundy on a set only to have it rot away while hanging up in the closet, especially if it's a spare.

Buy a Condor PC and have a backup.

Plates can degrade under sweat and UV exposure. Not the ceramic parts, but the fibers and plastic.

+1 …I wasn’t about to debate soft versus hard. IIIA pistol rated = soft, most III+/Special Threat and Lvl IV = rifle-rated hard plates regardless of what they are manufactured of.

The only exception to my “working” definition I’m aware of is the FRAS plate… reminds me too much of the old dragon scales armor that wasn’t worth sh*t, so I wouldn’t trust my life to this as a result

Soft = not metal

Metal = metal

I think it’s time to just call it lightweight plates😂

Same here.

Similarly, Shellback's IV is Ceramic and UHMWPE composite. Same with Spartan's, actually.
I just looked at Spartan 4’s. They do call it ceramic but it’s very light for ceramic. I’m wondering why that is? Ceramic is solid like metal, not like lightweight/soft/composite type material. I have Spartan 3 ceramic plates that are just under 9 pounds…..

This is what the armor manufacturers say but the Internet experts debunk it.

Back
Top Bottom