• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Piston-driven 300 Blackout

Maybe they should call piston systems indirect impingement. What is gas blowback - is that just gases from the chamber blow a bolt back as opposed to a gas tube directing gas to the bolt?
Arguably, the AR's DI system is a weirdo indirect piston. "Real" DI systems (IIRC) look more like what you've just postulated for gas blowback, which I'll admit I'm insufficiently experienced to comment on.

I’m wondering why piston too and think it’s probably because there’s less gas in the face suppressed and probably slightly more quiet at the ear.

But a lot of this can be accomplished by a bleed off gas block in a DI system. And I would recommend that to the OP as a great alternative if the OP cannot find a piston system.
So I can have a pistol grip for the most part in CT so a standard AR upper is out. With a Fightlite or the Foxtrot Mike ranch rifle, I can use AR uppers. The Fight light has a proprietary BCG and Mikes uses a bufferless setup. If I can find an affordable upper for the ranch rifle the lowe alone would save me about $400. But Im having a hard time understanding the upper I need for it.
because OP doesn't know what he's looking for. ;)
You are 100% correct. I am confused as hell. I thought there were only two types of uppers. DI and Piston. I know DI uses a buffer tube so I assumed that bufferless meant Piston. So what is the type of upper I'm looking for called?

You are 100% correct. I am confused as hell. I thought there were only two types of uppers. DI and Piston. I know DI uses a buffer tube so I assumed that bufferless meant Piston. So what is the type of upper I'm looking for called?
Again, both DI or piston potentially use a buffer.

If you want to work without a standard buffer extension, you'd need a "bufferless" upper.

Again, both DI or piston potentially use a buffer.

If you want to work without a standard buffer extension, you'd need a "bufferless" upper.
So is the BRN-180 my only option then? They have 300 BO but all SBR. Was hoping to find something at 16". I really don't want to go through the price and hasel of an NFA

So is the BRN-180 my only option then? They have 300 BO but all SBR. Was hoping to find something at 16". I really don't want to go through the price and hasel of an NFA

They're out there. But you're asking for very specific configurations, it shouldn't be surprising that it costs

They're out there. But you're asking for very specific configurations, it shouldn't be surprising that it costs
Well if that's the case it is more cost-effective and easier to go with the Fightlight. I do like the Magpul 870 stock though. Hell cant win them all I guess.

What hassle? Get a lower and put a pic adapter on it in lieu of a buffer tube. Put a folding stock on it. Form 1 it and then have it engraved. When Form 1 approved buy the BRN180 short barrel 300.

What hassle? Get a lower and put a pic adapter on it in lieu of a buffer tube. Put a folding stock on it. Form 1 it and then have it engraved. When Form 1 approved buy the BRN180 short barrel 300.
I think you missed the part where CT has shafted us with pistol grips. If it has a removable mag you can't have a pistol grip. If it has a pistol grip it can't have a removable mag. I don't want to pull my rifle apart whenever I want to reload it. It also makes it very ineffective for home defense if it ever came to that.
Hypathedicly if I were to order the BRN-180 would I have to fill out a form 1 or can I wait until I am ready to install it on a lower? Also if I want to suppress it do I still have to pin and weld it now that it is an SBR?

I think you missed the part where CT has shafted us with pistol grips. If it has a removable mag you can't have a pistol grip. If it has a pistol grip it can't have a removable mag. I don't want to pull my rifle apart whenever I want to reload it. It also makes it very ineffective for home defense if it ever came to that.
If the mag is permanently attached can you have the standard capacity magazine? If so, 30 rounds seems like plenty for home defense.

Hypathedicly if I were to order the BRN-180 would I have to fill out a form 1 or can I wait until I am ready to install it on a lower? Also if I want to suppress it do I still have to pin and weld it now that it is an SBR?
Ok, I know nothing about CT. Everyone has different risk tolerances when it comes to NFA. For me, I always Form 1 my lower first and get it engraved before I even place an order for a SBR upper. I am sure tons of folks are less conservative. Constructive possession is yet another gray area where gov makes it as hard as possible for you to know what the law is.

Can't speak as to whether CT has any stupid laws re: suppressor use/threaded barrel/AWB. In free states, there is no issue. A suppressor is a separate NFA item that requires a Form 4 when you purchase from a dealer. Form 4s still take forever even with eFile, though I've had them be as short as 75 days. That ain't the norm though.

No reason the BRN wouldn't work with one of these Ranch Rifle Lower With Magpul 870 SGA Stock and once its registered as an SBR there is no reason you can't swap out the upper for any of the BRN options for cal or length, if you don't want to buy more than one lower.

Can't speak as to whether CT has any stupid laws re: suppressor use/threaded barrel/AWB. In free states, there is no issue. A suppressor is a separate NFA item that requires a Form 4 when you purchase from a dealer. Form 4s still take forever even with eFile, though I've had them be as short as 75 days. That ain't the norm though.
What I know very little myself. What I do know is barrel length of 16"+ can be threaded. Under 16" has to be SBR or some device pinned and welded to make up the difference like a brake or a suppressor. Not sure who to ask if it still needs to be pinned and welded on if it's an SBR.
Good call about form 1 the lower then get the upper.

What I know very little myself. What I do know is barrel length of 16"+ can be threaded. Under 16" has to be SBR or some device pinned and welded to make up the difference like a brake or a suppressor. Not sure who to ask if it still needs to be pinned and welded on if it's an SBR.
Good call about form 1 the lower then get the upper.
Sounds like the only issue is whether CT bans threaded rifles. If it does not, then the 16" you are referring to is just to make the rifle non-NFA (26" OAL and 16" barrel). To get to 16" barrel requirement you can have a <16" barrel so long as a pinned brake or other pinned muzzle device or even a pinned suppressor makes total barrel length measured from closed bolt to end of the muzzle device/suppressor 16". But if you are going SBR, then none of that should matter unless CT has AWB that changes rules for SBRs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom