• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pistol transfer from out of state

simple enough question, read through some other threads and didnt find an answer. so im curious, in ma, we arent allowed to buy a pistol out of state that isnt on the AG's approved list. and quoted from this forum a hundred times over; "unless you find a dealer that is willing to do it, and if you do, keep your damn trap shut about it." or something similar. so my question is aimed toward why they dont.

is an unapproved pistol transfer from out of state a transaction that the state looks for that they would be putting their ass on the line for, or would a shop turn you down the transfer because you could be a cop running a sting?

i haven't yet done enough business or been close enough to a gun shop owner or worker that i even felt close enough to ask about this. maybe someone here could shine some light on this for me?

I'm told that if it can't be legally sold in Ma. by a dealer, he can't transfer it. And pre-ban weapons can only be transferred in-state.
I'm probably wrong, right?

Because a MA FFL can (in theory) only transfer handguns that are on the "approved" list, yes a handgun purchased out of state would need to be one of those "approved" ones, some FFL's may disregard the law and do it anyway, you'd just have to find one...then never post it here...

For the MA Approved weapons roster violations are referenced to MGL 140 S 123
"... The licensing authority shall enter, one time per calendar year, during regular business hours, the commercial premises owned or leased by any licensee, wherein such records required to be maintained under this section are stored or maintained, and inspect, in a reasonable manner, such records and inventory for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this section. If such records and inventory contain evidence of violations of this section, the inspecting officer shall produce and take possession of copies of such records ... Licensees found to be in violation of this section shall be subject to the suspension or permanent revocation of such license issued under section 122 and to the provisions of section 128"

The AG Regs I think refer to violations as "unfair or deceptive practices" so I think a large fine would be the most likely threat? Although that Im not certain of.

I'm told that if it can't be legally sold in Ma. by a dealer, he can't transfer it. And pre-ban weapons can only be transferred in-state.
I'm probably wrong, right?

Yes wrong. If you are talking about a rifle As long it was made in to a rilfe before the cut off date it can be baught anywhere in the country and tranfered in state.

Maybe if enough people write to the AG to complain about this stupid law they can change it. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom