• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Magazines - Organizing 'em all

mannydog

NES Member
Pistol magazine organization, the ability to easily grab whatever mags I might want for a particular range trip, is getting to be a PITA. Long gun mags are much less of an issue.

I just went through them and let’s say 15 unique pistol mags that I need/want to keep on hand. Of those, maybe 3 of some and 15 of others (because there is some cross-compatibility between some such as G-17 and G34 using same mags, and so on).

I would appreciate any thoughts as to how you all might keep this stuff straight, organized, and readily accessible.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed חֲנֻכָּה (Hanukkah).

Mannydog

I only shoot 9

My glock mags are kept in their own ammo box, same with my P365 and my Shield

I keep all my handguns hot and each gun has an extra 2 mags loaded in a double mag pouches ready to go

I cycle through my 2 mags in the pouches and reload them after each range trip, if I'm going to shoot more than the 2cmags I load up as many as I plan on shooting.

I'm comfortable having 3 full mags for each handgun ready to grab

Rifle I keep 6 all the time ready to go

I only shoot 9

My glock mags are kept in their own ammo box, same with my P365 and my Shield

I keep all my handguns hot and each gun has an extra 2 mags loaded in a double mag pouches ready to go

I cycle through my 2 mags in the pouches and reload them after each range trip, if I'm going to shoot more than the 2cmags I load up as many as I plan on shooting.

I'm comfortable having 3 full mags for each handgun ready to grab

Rifle I keep 6 all the time ready to go
I also keep everything " hot" like you say with at least one mag also loaded with good defensive ammo either factory or good home rolled. I find my self unloading mags at the range or just before I head and reloading ' em with reloaded plated rounds so I dont piss away all the good $$ stuff.

I mark the bottoms of my mags with a silver sharpie so I know what gun they go with.
I figured you'd have so many magazines it would require a QR code system... 🤔

1671076927748.png
"BEEP. Glock 19"...

I figured you'd have so many magazines it would require a QR code system... 🤔

View attachment 698149
"BEEP. Glock 19"...

I have a bunch, but not an unmanageable number.
It's mostly the double-stack pistol mags that seem to look so similar, so I mark them P-35, P228, P229, CZ-75, FNS, B-92, M-11 etc.
I only have one Glock, a G27, so there's no mistaking those for anything else.
The single stack mags all look different enough from each other that I don't get those mixed up.

Every attempt at doing what u are asking about eventually ends up with me saying "this sucks, gotta be a better way"

Currently, plastic bins with labels by manufacturer of the guns they belong to.

I like when you find one that you have no idea what it goes too. CZ-75's are bad. You have pre=B versions that are different than the B's. Then, you have clones that don't function 100% in CZ versions. I grabbed a used Beretta and one of the mags is not for the gun. No idea what it is for. So, painters tape with a question mark reminds me as it lays in a box.

A paint marker works well. I also use a ammo crate with cardboard separation.

I also keep everything " hot" like you say with at least one mag also loaded with good defensive ammo either factory or good home rolled. I find my self unloading mags at the range or just before I head and reloading ' em with reloaded plated rounds so I dont piss away all the good $$ stuff.
Buy more mags that way you never have to unload your carry mag! 👍👍

I use small plastic storage totes. I like to have a minimum of 10 mags for each semi so these work perfectly. some mags I have way, way more like Beretta, Sig, 1911 so I may have two or three for one type of mag.

Small plastic bins stacked inside safe. Another great solution is using magnetic tool holders placed on the side of the safe or other magnetic surface. I also recommend marking each mag with a silver sharpie.

My dream for when I get a big enough house:

71-Pistol-Cabinet-Left-to-Right-Dividers.jpg

Buy more mags that way you never have to unload your carry mag! 👍👍
This for sure. Carry mags have been put through the paces and have shown zero reliability issues. Any mag that burps and farts gets an orange paint dot and is strictly
for range work when failure drills are desired. Non-fail range mags eventually get separated out and become classified as "carry" mags. Every carry mag has gone through extensive reliability testing. Those get a white paint dot. I use these in white and orange.

1671114311541.png

OP. Until you find out what way works best for you... try storing multiple magazines in Gallon-size zip-loc freezer bags. You can write on them or on painter's tape
for bag reusability. Cost effective, clear view of contents and the "freezer" type are very durable. I like the ones with the zipper tab.
Quart and Sandwich bags for small amounts or single magazines work great too...

Store those bags in a lockable tote and you have a storage system that was not very expensive, easily stored and secure enough in a home or garage. You can also toss in a few desiccant bags to reduce moisture...

$30 bucks and you're done.

1671115081567.png 1671115118321.png

Label the tote as "WINTER" and it will disappear in a garage or basement...

1671116071225.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom